Personality Test

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Unread postby SunXia » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:16 am

I never took this!! I hall do so now!!

ENFP
Extraverted = 59
Intuitive = 12
Feeling = 75
Perceiving = 11

Don't know if that's accurate!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Paler than Moon » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:58 pm

Your Type is
INFP

Introverted 56
Intuitive Feeling 38
Perceiving 62
Strength of the preferences 56

Ow...I already know the results would be like this @_@
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
your fragrance deafens.
Paler than Moon
Master

Unread postby Adam » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:55 pm

Adam Sisemore wrote:
Adam Sisemore wrote:Introverted 44
Sensing 1
Thinking 62
Perceiving 56

Introverted 67
Sensing 25
Thinking 50
Perceiving 56

Introverted 89
Sensing 25
Thinking 50
Perceiving 33

Wow that's freaky, it stays exactly the same on two every time...it may actually be a decent test.
Although it appears I'm becoming more introverted by the month despite my recent constant outings to the bar (yay pool!).
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:25 pm

Adam Sisemore wrote:Although it appears I'm becoming more introverted by the month despite my recent constant outings to the bar (yay pool!).

The "introversion" scale on the MBTI refers to where you get your energy, rather than how you relate to the world around you. MBTI's "introverts" draw their energy from within, whereas the "extroverts" draw their energy from other people. If you feel re-energized by having some time to yourself, you're an I. But if you have to hang out with people to get more energy, you're an E.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:41 pm

Finally took this thing...

Your Type is
ISTJ
33 Introverted
01 Sensing
12 Thinking
44 Judging

moderately expressed introvert
slightly expressed sensing personality
slightly expressed thinking personality
moderately expressed judging personality

Explanation of ISTJ

I was pretty surprised to see odd things like 01 sensing, but I guess that is because I haven't bothered to thoroughly understand this sort of test yet. When I read the explanation, though, it does apply a great deal to me -- much more than I expected. How about that!

Edit: Lady Wu, are you familiar with the other three scales? How are they rated? I'm very surprised to be on the extreme end of one of them!
Edit 2: Ah, they vary! I wonder what Sensing means, then... *Reads*
Edit 3: On the other hand, the explanation by Joe Butt doesn't sit well with me at all, and I don't feel it describes my reactions to a number of situations accurately. Quite a bit of variance -- it suggests that the ISTJ has trouble adapting to situations or forging new ground. I'm good at both, when necessary.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:52 pm

The official Myers & Briggs site: http://www.myersbriggs.org/

James: The general descriptions of each type really describes the middle-of-the-path person in that type. The ISTJ descriptions you read will apply more to someone with an average to high score on all of I, S, T, and J, than to someone who has a borderline score.

_S_J types prefer well-defined routines and work, and fiercely hold to traditions and loyalty. However, if your S score is low (1 is very borderline, and on a different test you might come out as an N instead) and you're borderline INTJ, you need to consider the traits generally associated with INTJs as well. _NT_ types are innovative and like to come up with new ideas and new ways of doing things. (See True Colors, which is developed from MBTI.) While this may sound like a contradiction, it's possible that you use both modes in your life depending on the situation.
Last edited by Lady Wu on Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby James » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:16 pm

I wonder what my result would be if I took some official testing on the matter. I know my present employer uses this test to profile and manage its own management team. I also know that wherever I've taken this test employers have shown great interest in my results.

Thank you for the link, Lady Wu.

- - - - - - - - - - -

So now that I consider it, the number value is an indication of the strength of a specific personality? That might explain why some of my results seem strange to me, particularly elements of 'sensing' -- because they aren't terribly strong aspects of my personality. If I'm understanding correctly, had I scored just a little weaker in 'sensing' I would have become a low-value 'intuition', yes? I read the descriptions of values and the potions on the official site and determining your personality type with personal involvement, and the only swing which started to make a lot of sense was toward INTJ, which (while rare, apparently) also resonates with me. I am pretty comfortable in the middle of those two groups as I perceive in myself elements of both, but not always to the extreme presented in these generalized descriptions.

Understanding how these values are composed is pretty crucial to evaluating them.

(I realize that is a great understatement, but it deserves mention).
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:26 pm

James wrote:I wonder what my result would be if I took some official testing on the matter. I know my present employer uses this test to profile and manage its own management team. I also know that wherever I've taken this test employers have shown great interest in my results.

Thank you for the link, Lady Wu.

Edited just while you're posting!

Does your current employer financially support MBTI testing? I've taken the official test a couple of times, and the results are consistent. The last time I took it was during my career exploration workshop, and they had a good collection of books on understanding the types.

What I found useful about the testing is that it shows that some of my weaknesses and less desirable personality traits aren't random or necessarily weaknesses, and that there are other people who have to deal with the same issues. Sometimes these are traits that I hadn't realized myself (or, I hadn't realized how these traits affected other people).

For example. One of the books I read was on what stresses out which types. (I am INTP.)

In their focus on objectivity and dispassionate assessment of problems and goals, ISTPs and INTPs can be seen as obstructing team efforts by pointing out logical flaws in others' reasoning or unanticipated consequences of planned actions. However, these types are dedicated to contributing to a team effort by giving the best of themselves--their dispassionate and objective appraisal of work effort--regardless of whether they value the effort or are interested in participating in the project.

It is ironic that when ISTPs and INTPs are offering the best and most fundamental part of themselves, it often goes unrecognized or is misinterpreted as hypercritical, uncooperative, or arrogant.

I've definitely wondered before why, whenever I'm trying to be most cooperative and dedicated in a team, people perceived me as arrogant and uncooperative. Now I know that it's not that they're perceiving wrongly, or that I was underlyingly uncooperative or arrogant. Recognizing that what I consider to be my greatest contribution doesn't necessarily match up to what others consider should be my contribution helps a lot in resolving these conflicts.
Lady Wu

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:10 am

I'll double-post too since you did. :twisted:

James wrote:So now that I consider it, the number value is an indication of the strength of a specific personality? That might explain why some of my results seem strange to me, particularly elements of 'sensing' -- because they aren't terribly strong aspects of my personality. If I'm understanding correctly, had I scored just a little weaker in 'sensing' I would have become a low-value 'intuition', yes?

That's correct. The values are on a scale/continuum. The bigger the number, the more "clear" that particular preference is. An official test will indicate the ranges in which a particular preference is "slight", "moderate", "clear", or "very clear". For example, I'm clearly I, moderately N and T, and slightly P. That means I clearly prefer the Introversion function; iNtuition and Thinking moderately so; but my preference for Perceiving over Judging is less clear-cut.

I read the descriptions of values and the potions on the official site and determining your personality type with personal involvement, and the only swing which started to make a lot of sense was toward INTJ, which (while rare, apparently) also resonates with me. I am pretty comfortable in the middle of those two groups as I perceive in myself elements of both, but not always to the extreme presented in these generalized descriptions.

In a more intricate/complete version of the theory, distinction is made between the functions you use in terms of how developed they are and how much you rely on that function (see "Type Dynamics"). The four levels are called Dominant, Auxiliary, Tertiary, and Inferior.

For INTP, the four functions are:
Dominant - Introverted Thinking
Auxiliary - Extraverted Intuition
Tertiary - Sensing
Inferior - Extraverted Feeling

The Dominant Function is the one you use most in life, the most articulated and mature function, and the one you rely on the most. The Inferior function is triggered when a person's conscious energy is low or when that person is in an uncomfortable situation (such as when he's tired, sick, stressed out, stoned, etc.).

Since my Dominant Function is "Introverted Thinking", my preferred mode of operation is to think "inward" (the "Introverted" refers to the direction that the function takes; so I'd think to myself instead of out loud, and apply my thinking/logic to information I have in my head already instead of to people and situations around me). This is supported by "Extraverted Intuition" (applying intuition and creativity overtly to the world around me). My inferior function is "Extraverted Feeling", which means when I'm stressed or low in energy, I'd try to express feelings outwardly or express feelings towards other people and things, but I wouldn't express it very well.

The inferior function, when used, tends to be exaggerated, immature, and/or categorical. An E_FJ type, who has Extraverted Feeling as his Dominant Function, is comfortable in expressing his feelings towards other people, and is skilled in doing so. However, as the Inferior Function of an I_TP, "Extraverted Feeling" can manifest as hypersensitivity, childish expressions of feelings, or denial of strong feelings. I_TPs also don't react well to other people's expressions of feelings.

Understanding the type dynamics, in your case, James, may help interpret the borderline S/N score:

ISTJ:
Dominant: Introverted Sensing
Auxiliary: Extraverted Thinking
Tertiary: Feeling
Inferior: Extraverted Intuition

INTJ:
Dominant: Introverted Intuition
Auxiliary: Extraverted Thinking
Tertiary: Feeling
Inferior: Extraverted Sensing

Being borderline S/N doesn't mean you contradict yourself, once you take the type dynamics into account. Having Extraverted Intuition as the Inferior Function of ISTJ doesn't preclude the possibility of the use of Introverted Intuition elsewhere (in the background, or not as a primary function), and vice versa for INTJ.
Lady Wu

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:19 am

Lady Wu wrote:Does your current employer financially support MBTI testing? I've taken the official test a couple of times, and the results are consistent. The last time I took it was during my career exploration workshop, and they had a good collection of books on understanding the types. [...]

Yes, they do, but I'm not sure how much of that information I would be able to receive as the employee, or if I would be able to talk them into testing me as the stubborn but too knowledgeable to dispose of, black sheep of the department. I've received the official test a few times, but I've never been able to peruse my results.

That said, your use for the test is my exact reason for being frustrated initially by my results. I see a test like this as a tool that might be used to better understand myself, and further my own development -- but that would require being able to actually trust the test itself. Even without the official test, I can place myself pretty accurately based on past experience and what I'm reading at the official site, and I've already discovered a few useful tidbits to consider (akin to your reading how people might perceive your own suggestions when faced with a potential problem).

I can also see that the summary explanations on the internet are of limited use without an understanding of the different values that go into your personality type, and how they relate to each other. I suppose the interpretation offered by a proper book would be valuable in this case. I've always been fairly intrigued by this test. I can see how the gears underneath work, and I can see how this test (the official one) might actually be very accurate, so it does make me curious.

Everything said, I'm understanding this more and more.

- - - - - - - - - -

I just remembered something which amused me. I knew enough about the application of this test from a previous employer that, years ago, when I applied for a job at Applebee's and they gave me this test, I was able to guess what they were looking for. I knew they would be looking for highly social people who could interact with people and hit it off with them from the start, and I knew my proper test results would show that this is not one of my strong points.

I decided on a few fictional changes to my character and answered the social questions from that perspective, carefully watching for the duplicate questions as I worked through the quiz. In the end I was able to give them a personality type they were excited about, and the manager was thrilled to tell me I would fit right in. (I wondered what would happen as they said the test would be able to tell if I was lying). Something happened, though, and they offended a person in my family, so lost all interest in the position. In retrospect I imagine I would have been pretty unhappy there.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub