Watched any good movies recently?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Watched any good movies recently?

Unread postby Rhiannon » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:01 am

I'd like to see this thread similar to the long established "Read any good books lately?" thread in LAP. One distinction that I'd like to ask though, is that this thread remain for movies that are no longer in major theatres - that is, movies that have already hit the shelf on DvD, or even older movies on VHS. New indie flicks that are hard to find in theatres can also be recommended here - I'd just like to let the new movies have their own spotlight. :) Just tell us what movies you've watched recently away from the plush seats and pricey tickets, and what you thought of them!

Now that it's easy for me to watch movies again, and that I have a DVR at home, I've been watching more movies. Here's a few I've watched recently:

Thumbsucker: Weird, weird movie. About a teenager who's obsessed with sucking his thumb, and focuses on the "story" of his teenage life. Perhaps it might have made more sense to me in book format, but this movie felt too artistic to make much sense to me.

Little Miss Sunshine: Also a weird movie, but with comedy. Although the situation was less "at home" comedy than Napolean Dynamite, I still related quite well to the dysfunctional family. Hmm... part of me wants to say it also reminded me of the TV Show Malcolm in the Middle (or something quite similar).

Imagine Me & You: A British dramedy (they classified it as a comedy, but like any romantic comedy, there was plenty of serious emotional parts to it) about a bride who falls in love with her florist. It was nice in that the movie didn't play into the typical homosexual stereotypes that get overplayed in most films dealing with that subject matter, nor did it feel preachy in any way. Decent chick flick.

Erik the Viking: Classic humor! It's been classified as Pythonesque, but I think it's just a touch of regular British humor - the jokes weren't always running.
Last edited by Rhiannon on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Kristina » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:03 am

I rented Little Nicky a few days ago. . .I know it's been out a while, but damn that was almost teh best movie ever!
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby Adam » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:04 am

Finally I can mention this movie for no damn reason.

<B>Sublime</B>: Some sort of horror/drama thingy. Guy from Ed goes to a hospital for a colonoscopy and wakes up with a sewn up incision on his side. Is it a horrible mistake, or are they stealing people's organs for some purpose I forget.
It's kinda slow, but it's pretty interesting.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rhiannon » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:05 am

Little Nicky was a great movie! I think that was the first Adam Sandler movie I actually enjoyed.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:39 am

the last movie i rented was "Ali" with will smith, i'll watch anything about Muhammad Ali, the man is my hero
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 am

I watched The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou a couple of nights ago. Excellent film by Wes Anderson. Very funny.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:45 am

Kong Wen wrote:I watched The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou a couple of nights ago. Excellent film by Wes Anderson. Very funny.

I loved that movie
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby Gabriel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:47 am

I haven't rented a movie in over a year. The last good movie I saw was Deliverance. I've never been outdoorsy person, and because of this I never will.
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:04 am

Recently rented Hard Candy and that movie is one weird ass movie, but it still is good.
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Huang Bob » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:18 am

Borat.

Very nice.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

Next

Return to The Pub