Watched any good movies recently?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Watched any good movies recently?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:46 pm

Sorry the second half didn't land. If your Star Wars, we do have a Star Wars thread in case anyone's interested

Watched horror film Creep 2, sequel to an intresting little horror we had quite liked. This time the horror figure is approaching middle age and struggling film-maker Sara (Desiree Akhavan) comes into his web.

The first film worked partly via a sense of mystery and "something seems wrong", by exploring the two main characters but as a sequel, the mystery can't be there. So they don't hide it, they leave enough mystery for Sara without making you go through the same thing and avid frustration with Sara. They do explore the dynamics, Sara is a very different character from those in the first film, she is more confident, cynical, nice sense of humour and she fits in well with the world, she establishes a good dynamic that is intresting to watch with the baddie.

They do enough to keep the film fresh by doing different routes, Akhavan and Mark Duplass do a good job while the general quality just seems that bit better over the first film. Will be a sequel apparently and look forward to what they do with the third film

Me: 7.0 Sis: 6.5

Watched the (failed) reboot of Hellboy, the opening was fun with Ian Mcshane's unusual narration but some of the flaws, like cast failing to connect, were there from the start. One got the sense of tone early on, the attempts at humour but also the lack of spark. Hellboy (David Harbour) himself was annoying, generally performances were at best erratic with Milla Jovovich probably the best as the villain and generally cast failed to bounce off each other. It felt like were too many ideas and the plot ended up lacking coherency as they tried to show what Hellboy could do with the mystic stuff, they needed to slim it down and focus on things like the relationship between Hellboy and his father rather then about five relationships for Hellboy to try to build. There were some good ideas even if the execution wasn't always there or they got squeezed out, there was some moments of laughter but too many misses with the humour and it ran out of steam before the end.

Me: 5.5 Sis: 6.0
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:59 pm

Watched Locke by Steven Knight. Premise: We follow Ivan Locke (Tom Hardy) driving down the motorway on night where he is constantly on call, discussing with family and co-workers major professional and personal issues that cropped up.

As set in one car with only one face on screen, it relies on Hardy's performance, for me it was mostly good but his Welsh accent fluctuated constantly which really put my sister off, good voice work by people like Coleman, Ben Daniels, Ruth Wilson and Andrew Scott as the calls circulated. Good touch with how Locke kids handle things in way youngsters do, build evolving stories nicely, good dialogue in some tense calls, rotates the calls well to keep things fresh. By end I felt it was only part way done which was frustrating but it was good while it lasted

Me: 6.5

Watched Captain Marvel, it was solid enough, fine. Seemed to get decent reviews and some praise for some of the more inventive stuff it did, Marvel seemed to be very aware of the need to not get this one wrong given it only took them about 330000 films before they decided a female could lead a film. The main flaw for me is that the adventure itself lacked oomph, I wasn't drawn into the conflict or to the baddies, or really into the captain's origin story which lacked an emotional punch.

Where it worked was as a buddy movie between the Brie Larson's hero and Samuel Jackson's young Fury, the film came alive once the two of them united. The sense of humour is nice, there is a good comradeship, some nice (but disappointingly few) nods to the past and aliens on earth. One Kree character
Talos (Ben Mendelsohn)
gets integrated into things in second half and adds well to the film, the cat is awesome. The humour and camaraderie is the heart of the film that gives it a pleasant feel and there is a feeling more can come from Captain Marvel

Me: 6.0 Sis: 6.5
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby ky9ersfan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:54 am

I watched a movie called The Iceman(2013). It was about a Gambino crime family hitman named Richard Kuklinski. It was a pretty interesting movie, about mafia life, how guys take on contracts, and eliminate problems. It starred Michael Shannon, and Ray Liotta. I give it a solid 7/10.
ky9ersfan
Student

Unread postby ky9ersfan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:04 pm

Watched a movie called Suicide Squad, it was pretty entertaining. It was about a group of DC Comics Universe villains, being recruited by the government to battle an ancient goddess/witch that had been foolishly ressurected, and possessed a female archeologist, and had become a major threat to the city. It was solid, I give 7/10.
ky9ersfan
Student

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:15 am

Tried Bullets over Broadway, didn't really click at any level for me

Watched the fundamentals of caring. Premise: Ben (Paul Rudd) is an unhappy man, avoiding answering his door and has taken up a career as a carer. His first job is full time care of teenager Trevor (Craig Roberts) who suffers from Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Bonds formed, views changed and the usual.

It covers some usual beats and not in particularly inventive ways, there is at least one female character who turns up purely for the growth of the men folk, near the end the film feels a bit self satisfied with itself. Where it works is the strong performances from Rudd and Roberts, they do create a chemistry on screen (as does Trevor's mother Else, played strongly by Jennifer Ehle, but sadly she is not in film as much as one would hope), the dynamics between the starting duo+trio are intresting to watch and Trevor does have a a good wit that produces some comic moments.

The introduction of Selena Gomez's Dot is a mixed bag, there are some very good personal scenes between her character and others though the character is a bit of a trope, it is well timed to freshen things up before the film could get stale. However each character takes awhile to gel in this film with no exception for Dot and some scenes suffer from Gomez not performing as well as Rudd or Roberts.

Me: 6.5 Sis: 6.0

Watched rom-com To All The Boys I Loved Before, the first of an upcoming trilogy based on Jenny Han's novels. Premise: Lara Jean (Lana Condor) is a single student who, when she gets a crush, writes a letter and hides it. Youngster sister Kitty (Anna Cathcart) sends out the five letters, it causes chaos in Lara's life.

A very very very flawed film, performances as a whole are erratic at best and some like the father (John Corbett) seemed to be performing in a different film, dialogue is clumsy quite a fair few times. It was poorly structured, the premise relies on Lara not doing the clearly right thing
the main three boys are figures she can easily just go "sorry, it was years ago and my sister posted them"
while not really dealing with consequences. Important conversations seem to happen off screen so isn't always clear who knows what and relations suddenly seem to change, even important characters end up feeling ciphers around Lara Jean.

Yet it does just enough to make a nice time, there is charm and a goodwill, jut enough goes right that one roots for the romance and the characters, most figures seem quite nice people whatever their mistakes and quite forgiving of other while the baddie in the school (Emilija Baranac) is decently performed though attempts to give depth don't quite work. I have seen a lot lot better but it was still quite a nice time

Both: 6.0
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:55 am

I just watched Blade of the Immortal 2017
Basically about a samurai who was given the power/curse of immortality. He meets a girl who reminds him of his late kid sister and agrees to help bring vengeance for the loss of her family.
A lot of action, but very gloomy and depressing at times.

Sugisaki Hana/ Rin's performace was an A
the movie itself 6/10
“Vision without action is a daydream, action without vision is a nightmare”
-Japanese proverb
Sakae Wu
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:37 pm

Watched Crazy Rich Asians, huge and rather blatant advert for Singapore but get to see some lovely shots of the city and some rich houses+hotels so not complaining, just could be a bit more subtle at times. Cinematographer Vanja Cernjul and director Jon M. Chu have an eye for a good shot for a scene, music didn't land bar Kina Grannis whose adaptation of a famous song worked well with an important scene.

Got huge publicity when it came out, by an Asian (or Asian descent) writer, team and cast, mostly set in Singapore and a huge hit with both public (bar in Singapore) and critics. The cast generally did well and hopefully gave their careers a boost, having a different setting didn't hurt and while the story played into certain rom-com stories/tropes, it did feel like the family dynamics made it feel fresh enough.

As a film? The family seems split, the males liked it and the females were... well it is ok. The romance between Rachel and Nick (Constance Wu and Henry Golding) was fine but lacked spark to really carry the film, the best friend Goh Peik Lin (rapper Awkwafina) and Nick's cousin Oliver T'sien (Nico Santos) light up the screen as comedic figures but are on far too rarely. The family dynamics are intresting but also less then promised, it focuses on Rachel+Nick deal with his mother but after a big intro that showed potentially very intresting character arcs, Nick's cousins get shoved aside. There could have been a moving story around Astrid (Gemma Chan) and Michael (Pierre Png) but it relies on two or three big scenes set a long time apart and ignored the rest of the time.

I think I generally liked the tale and the smaller moments more then others in the family but I acknowledge it is not a good romance, comedy great but rare and the bigger moments gave me an emotional tug despite the flaws.

Me: 7.0 Sis: 6.0

====

Ralph Breaks the Internet is a film of two halves. The first half starts well, Ralph (John C. Reilly) and Vanellope (Sarah Silverman) are a likeable duo for a bit, within the arcade there is humour within the setting and the much underused Felix (Jack McBrayer)+Calhoun (Jane Lynch). When it gets to the internet, it starts nicely but the set up takes too long, action scenes takes a bit too long. It also lacks a certain bravery and inventiveness about the internet, it has plenty of names to plug but is reluctant to tackle all but the usual "no company itself to blame" joys and failures in an internet world, a lot of the ideas have been done before though I did like their search engine KnowsMore (Alan Tudyk).

The second half, bar one overly long boss section, was an improvement as it changed direction that gave the film an emotional heart, touching on issues and pulling on the heart-strings to good effect, however that got slightly squeezed by the longer first half and which could have been explored more with some cutting elsewhere. It also has the princess scene which is worth the entire movie on its own, taking on Disney princesses with love, fun observations but also a bravery lacking in tackling the internet, it is a lot of fun (as is the end credit scenes, combined with the princess scene is far funnier then most of the movie).

Both: 6.5
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Previous

Return to The Pub