Watched any good movies recently?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Watched any good movies recently?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:35 am

Watched action-Horror Mandy. Premise: In the Shadow Mountains in year 1983, lumberjack Red (Nicholas Cage) leaves with his beloved Mandy (Andrea Riseborough) but their happy love is somewhat interrupted when Children of the New Dawn cult arrives and their leader Jeremiah (Linus Roache) spots Mandy. It is a Cage movie, I think you can guess what happens next.

Lost this post so this review may not be as good as when first written

Starts badly, the lead couple don't have chemistry and though the line aren't great neither of them deliver them in a convincing way, the surreal visual effects director Panos Cosmatos and cameraman Benjamin Loeb go for just feel weird at this point, pace is slow and drifting. I don't find myself caring for the main couple but when the cult arrives it starts to pick up, Roache suitably petulant and charismatic enough in the role, the chemistry there works better, performances better, the cult dynamics seem intresting.

The event to get Red going into action is well done, the build up is tense, the scene itself is effective, the visual effects like the use of colour work better for the darker, horror moments. The film picks up for awhile, Red has one or two figures to bounce off, some of the action at least feels a bit different if pushing towards gruesome and one looked forward to seeing more of the cult.

However the film concentrates on a gang before the cult and that slows the film down, yes some well done action but the gang isn't intresting, the plot gets somewhat muddled, Red makes some bizarre decisions that leave questions about if he is an idiot. The film runs out of steam quite quickly during the gang section and though it picks up a little near the end, the performers involved like Olwen Fouéré are having to cover up for a lack of build up, they do that well but it is a fleeting moment in what had been a boring film for me. I can see what they tried with the ending but left me cold.

=====

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse started slowly for me, the attempt to use animation for a few jokes and nods was nice enough but the early action didn't click, Peter Parker's (Chris Pine) quips didn't land and as a whole it wasn't quite gelling. When Miles Morales (Shameik Moore) was alone or doing Spiderman things, the film didn't land, it flickered into life when with family or at school when he had figures to bounce off.

When the multiverse thing comes in, that takes Miles more away from the things that work and it takes awhile to click, one or two good jokes but it is only when a certain spider comes in
Spider-Woman (Hailee Steinfeld)
comes in that it really clicks, helped also that the villains begin to make an impact. The jokes click with more people around and more dynamics to play with, there are nice nods, relationships grow, it adds freshness to tale of a spiderman (also helped by not being about Peter Parker) learning the skills and the heart required.

I found the more and more the film got went along, the more and more I got into it. The sweetness, the humour (including the character intro's), the style, the sadness and the pain when the time was right. The final boss battle went well, good action, suitably imposing baddie, kept within the themes, using it's multitude of characters and humour to very it up and present pace problems. The voice cast like Hailee Steinfeld, Brian Tyree Henry, John Mulaney, Kathryn Hahn and Liev Schreiber did a very good job to ensure, particularly those with lesser written characters, to add depth to add something to their characters

I would say with a large cast of characters, it had a clear team A and team B (and one suspects partly for humour) but B had their own moments of triumph, humour and pain even if underdone. The villains relied on the art, the sense of power in the fight and the voice cast making them hit, the writers were effective in building them up but the two main villains were underwritten overall.

Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:25 pm

No long reviews. But I had a couple of forays to the cinema recently, and saw The Joker and Doctor Sleep.

The Joker - Mostly good, Joaquain Phoenix superb, but maybe just a tad overhyped. A few iconic scenes and I haven't forgotten the film entirely about a month later, but it didn't speak to me like some reviews would suggest.

Verdict: Worth checking out purely for the fact that Phoenix will make you squirm (or be super relatable).

Doctor Sleep - Full disclosure, never sat down and watched The Shining, although I am familiar with many of the iconic scenes. Takes a while to build up. Great and creepy villains. Excellent camerawork, I thought, and haunting music and sound effects. But on the flipside, the characters seem to have a much firmer grasp on their capabilities than we do as viewers, and towards the end, when everyone seems to be doing cross-country chases that consist entirely of one side's conversation in a car, it detracts too much from what is about to happen and pulls me out of the film at last. It feels like they wanted to make some bold breakaways from traditional movie/horror/thriller fare in places, but it didn't always work.

Verdict: Worth a viewing if you're into the genre or The Shining, or if you need more reason to love Rebecca Ferguson, otherwise it's probably skippable.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:54 am

Looking forward to both of those films (though I got the impression one or two of those praising Joker loved it for not being a superhero figure and could make comparisons with some old movies)

======

Watched animated film Batman Ninja. Premise: Gorilla Grood's (Fred Tatasciore) gathers the villains of Gotham to unveil his latest plan, his machine explodes as Batman (Roger Craig Smith) and allies intervene. Batman wakes up to find himself in Ancient Japan with the Joker (Tony Hale) in a position of power. Can he return back to his own time?

Has an animation/drawn style that took me a bit of time to get used to, lips didn't seem to synch (I wonder if I might have been better watching in Japanese), some lovely twists on the traditional costumes to suit the era or at least the perceptions of the era. Voice-work felt like a few grew into it, Tatasciore did the best work but Hale was erratic as the Joker with some deliveries very high pitched. One or two nods to being out of time but the film found a way to use modern weaponry and machines which was disappointing, was better when characters had to adjust.

As an adventure it was alright, most of the villains beyond Grood and Joker were underdone, it varied up the action even if not always in ways I liked , batman was a decent central figure but only Catwoman (Grey DeLisle) stood out from the heroes. I'm not sure the Gotham and Japan elements meshed as well as it might have done but I was also quite tired so may be an element of that.

======

Watched Gravity , heard a lot of good things and had always meant to watch it, in end I liked it but wasn't quite sucked in. Good visuals and some well done tense moments that are carefully spaced out, Clooney gives a very charismatic performance while Bullock grew more and more into it as character got better fleshed out, some fun casual exchanges and dialogue was used well. I enjoyed the 90 minutes or so watching to see how situations would unfold

I did find myself questioning how Nasa let Dr Stone anywhere near a space shuttle, the character made a lot of mistakes or seemed ignorant of things that one would have thought someone in space needed to know. It became better as she began making better decisions but it didn't help that Clooney's character Lieutenant Matt Kowalski in contrast is the great experienced leader who always seemed to have the answers.

Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to The Pub