Watched any good movies recently?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Watched any good movies recently?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:33 pm

Tried Blood Punch, a groundhog Day style horror. Skyler (Olivia Tennet) provided a bit of comedy flair but for the most part this was a... decent enough film, solid twists, alright performances, tale unfolded nicely enough but it lacked spark after the opening. I had to stop for something with half an hour to go and just couldn't be bothered to continue on

Watched Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales which was a pleasant enough time as an adventure. There was an element of some things being better second half rather then first: like Joachim Rønning/Espen Sandberg were tighter with their directing with less flab on scenes and making setplay humour work better
that bank robbery could have been delivered so much better
, Kaya Scodelario's performance as female lead seemed to improve as film went on adding a bit more edge to the jokes.

It felt like they had balanced out others with Sparrow better, I liked Barbossa, the baddie Salzar (Javier Bardem) was underwritten though Bardem made a good fist of it, there was a witch that just vanished having made such a strong starting impression. Of the two new leads, the male Henry (Brenton Thwaites) makes no real impression, he is just there and so hard to root for any cause, romance, anything with him. Carina (Scodelario) has spark as the intellectual in a world of not very bright pirates and is a welcome presence, there is a lot of humour based on... adult based misunderstandings of what she says, her confidence and ability to trick others in word-play.

Both: 6.5
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:37 pm

Tried Thelma and Louise, I can see why it is so popular and it is well made, I liked Louise and some of the side characters but I was not pulled in so went onto Sixteen Candles (see below). Rewatched Autopsy of Jane Doe as Dad hadn't seen it. Second time does mean a loss of surprise that it works so carefully to build but it still had a good creepy atmosphere, strong writing and performances that made for an engaging horror watch.

John Hughes/Molly Ringwald rom-com Sixteen Candles. Which is a very troubling film. Sadly one does come to expect the casual racism of 1984 particularly with treatment of wacky Asian character (with gong sound effects) Long Duk Dong (Gedde Watanabe) but the romantic lead advocates rape. Twice
After party with Ted and his girlfriend is wasted so he encourages Ted more then once to sleep with her either when she is flat out or by pretending to be him
. The secondary romance is not much better....

There is a good film underneath the shocking stuff. The Baker family have good dynamics, Ringwald's Samantha Baker is a likeable lead and scenes with father Jim (Paul Dooley) are excellent and thoughtful and it has some decent comedy at times particularly around the family. There is a good sense of characters in their own little worlds and unaware of stuff around them. Ted (Anthony Michael Hall) is initially very annoying as he hits on Sam in awkward and creepy ways but a key early scene
discussion in car after a dance
gives him depth and they tone down the creepy stuff (somewhat), one can see where he is coming from and what he tries to do.

Romances are poor, the best one is the "zany" one with Dong and Marlene (Deborah Pollack) which was trying too hard with comedy but it had chemistry. The main romantic lead Jake (Michael Schoeffling) has no real personality bar meant to be nice (while advocating rape which says something about attitudes) and good looking. He has also has no great spark with partner Caroline (Haviland Morris) and her personality jumps about a lot to fit whatever they need for the scene rather then feels like a person.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:36 pm

Watched famed horror film Halloween (the 1978 version) as a mid-week Halloween movie. John Carpenter and Debra Hill made a well crafted movie which (bar my tired eyes closing near end) just wasn't quite our thing. Takes its time setting itself up, introducing to the targeted ladies and their plans for the night, the worry of the doctor, not rushing to the kills. Keeping Myers at a distance was a good idea and Carpenter had a good creepy music but I did feel the "Myers at a distance, creepy music time" was overdone, personally I would have preferred more about his youth and his clever clever escape plan rather then "he is pure evil".

The kills were intresting, one is so used to films having quick, easy bloody kills after a hunt. There is something... more physical about these kills, the sense it requires work, there is something awkward and realistic about it. When Myers goes for it, the kills have nice tension and goes at a quicker pace for punch.

Overall, it just wasn't quite my style of horror but it was well made.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:35 am

I was not far off the mark, I have 3 readers :wink:

My wife went on a horror kick last night and pulled up like 4 movies on VOD. They were all pretty terrible, although there were a few fun bits here and there. I will just try to do quick and dirty reviews.

Viral

Rather boring "zombie"/"Body Snatchers"-style virus flick. The characters are really stupid and although there are plenty of gross-out moments at certain points (the classroom scene in particular managed to make me squirm eventually), but I wanted more gore and didn't get it. Very lame ending, too.

Still/Born

Full disclosure, I took a nap about halfway through.

A new mother has twins but one dies at birth, she seemingly starts imagining that some apparition is trying to get the surviving twin and is slowly driven insane. Wasn't necessarily terrible, but just didn't resonate with me. The mother also seemed far too stubborn, refusing all sorts of help and suggestions from her husband early on, which made no sense at all.

A Mosquito-Man

One of those "so bad it's good" flicks. Made me think of those old Tromaville/Toxic Avenger "monster as a hero" types of movies, laying the cheese on thick and not taking itself seriously at all. Admittedly a good bit of fun, low budget and no big name stars, but acting was on point for this type of film, good directing and stylistic choices (light shades of Sin City) throughout. Wanders a bit too much as the detective bits aren't very well-written and mainly played for humor, and starts to lose serious steam in the climax, like it just does a 180 and becomes objectively terrible, but it's a fun ride otherwise, if you like these cheeseball films, that is..

Paramedics

Well this made up for the gore I was missing from the first movie. After a pretty gross start, it however tries to go a bit more brainy and dark but falls flat in both regards. Basically, two brothers pose as paramedics and pick up injured people, then harvest their organs to sell on the black market and dispose of the bodies. For a reason that takes forever to get explained, they decide not to kill their latest pick-up, a blonde lady who was hiking with her friends and sprained her ankle. Instead, they keep her captive and do terrible things to her, as she tries to come up with some escape plan. The movie really suffers because it tries to flesh out some backstory for the two baddies in what I guess was an effort to make them a bit more sympathetic, but the brother in charge's actions over the course of the film are so inherently unlikable that I felt like my time as a viewer was being wasted. Plus there is one stupid scene where, after some really bad "brainy" back and forth between the brother in charge and the prisoner, she basically tells him how she plans to escape and then he inexplicably lets her attempt to do it. Throughout the film, the brother in charge basically tries to come off as smart and sinister and manipulative, but then takes totally inexplicable and stupid actions that such a person would never take.

Out of these, I'd only recommend A Mosquito-Man, and even then only for fans of its genre.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:43 pm

Half watched sci-fi film Moon but we were more exhausted then we thought so ended up sleeping through parts of it. Didn't help that it didn't seem particularly good, I liked the kindness the robot Gerty (Kevin Spacey) and trying to work out where it stood but the main mystery was easy to guess and it relies heavily on being interested in Sam Bell (Sam Rockwell) as the only human figure for much of it. We weren't particularly engaged in Sam and Rockwell's performance is fine but not great, not a strong enough performance to carry a film like this.

Tried the Universial Monsters flop Mummy which was meant to start a Monsters Universe. We watched 10 minutes, had major interruption and then my hearing went downhill (temporary problem) so watching rest has been delayed. We liked the set up, the scenes in London, the flashback in Egypt but went downhill as soon as Tom Cruise and his fellow soldier friend turned up, the wisecracks fell flat, they didn't have chemistry, the action failed to excite.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:02 pm

Sorry to see you didn’t like Moon! It’s indeed a rather slow film, but I felt it had a great mood and that Rockwell acted very well.

As for the Mummy... yes, it’s an awful movie. Made worse by the facts that
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde end up taking up the villain spotlight for some reason
and
the Mummy is so easily caught and jailed for half the movie.

It’s sad that the 1999 Brendan Fraiser Mummy B-movie did a better job rebooting the franchise than the latest did.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:30 pm

Sky not having subtitles for downloaded films is a pain up the....

Jia Nanfeng wrote:Sorry to see you didn’t like Moon! It’s indeed a rather slow film, but I felt it had a great mood and that Rockwell acted very well.

As for the Mummy... yes, it’s an awful movie. Made worse by the facts that
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde end up taking up the villain spotlight for some reason
and
the Mummy is so easily caught and jailed for half the movie.

It’s sad that the 1999 Brendan Fraiser Mummy B-movie did a better job rebooting the franchise than the latest did.

Maybe unexpected sleepiness didn't help with the Moon but glad you enjoyed it

I wouldn't say dreadful (but then, I rarely call films dreadful or great) but it was disappointing having now seen it all. Tom Cruise was a huge mistake as the lead, the potential of the opening is wasted as they go generic with the two females by the end, I did feel the wider world set up slightly got in the way but in itself wasn't a huge problem more some of the decisions they made from that point of the movie
Mummy speaks English was a bad move and after her "different time speech", loses her personality and instead goes towards obsession with leading man for example

We loved those B-movies, they had charm, humour, romantic chemistry and knew what they going for.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:50 pm

I liked the Fraiser Mummy movie too, the first one, not so much the others. Universal was nearly two decades late with their cinematic universe attempt; they should have done it back in Fraiser’s era!

I really wish they would have just made a Mummy movie instead of trying to force a cinematic universe from minute 1 of the film. Let it happen organically. I’m a fan of the Universal monsters and wanted it to succeed so much.

I agree that Cruise wasn’t a great pick.
I think having the Mummy be female was a mistake, only because Hollywood has no idea how to make female villains who don’t have quasi-romantic interest in the main hero. It’s always “female villain’s feelings and emotions are her downfall” in every movie. I just wanted to see a female mummy wreak havoc. She was so much cooler before she became human again.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:37 pm

I liked the second and yes I could see a Fraser era cinematic universe being fun.

From what I remember, when Marvel started building their cinematic universe, they were a lot more subtle then other "trying to rush it" studio's are. Nods, a few characters come in and bring up the wider universe but without sacrificing the main story. This did get sidetracked but I think the "part 3"
Mummy escapes to end
had been done better, they could have got away with it

She was cooler till she forget about ambition, everything she had done and just became in love with Tom Cruise. When she picked him for targeted reasons that worked and a bit of lust would have been fine. They really should be able to do female villains so much better
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:18 am

Hah, I hated the Mummy reboot as well, I don't know if I ever wrote a review in this thread, but it would have been scathing. I really like Sofia Boutella as her Hollywood star continues to slowly rise, but she was completely wasted on this film. Lots of nonsensical plot and yes, Hollywood, you can't just cast Tom Cruise in anything in 2017 and expect big returns. He has his moments and I respect his acting ethic, but his days as a jack-of-all-trades lead are done.

(Side note: I didn't like the Frasier films but can at least respect what they were going for. And yeah they are better than this stinker, even that wacky third one.)

-----

Haven't seen it yet and have read mixed reviews, but my mother-in-law saw Bohemian Rhapsody and now my wife is hyped to watch it. So I imagine we'll be popping into the theater soonish to see that. I will mainly be interested in seeing Rami Malek's performance, like Sofia Boutella he is another who has been slowly picking up better and better roles and slowly gaining steam in Hollywood, and it seems like his performance in this will be strapping a rocket to his back.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub