Watched any good movies recently?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sun May 20, 2007 5:15 pm

Donnie Darko and I have a weird relationship.

For the longest time, it was playing every day on HBO or Starz. But when I'd flip by those channels, it was always almost over, or at least halfway over. So I didn't watch it, and instead, cursed my luck.

Then it appeared On Demand. I cheered, knowing I'd be able to watch it - and then promptly had no time while it was on there. When I went to watch it, it was gone.

I now have it recorded on my DVR, and it's been sitting there for a few weeks. I'm going to laugh if I go to play it and it's just a black screen or something. :lol:

Anyway, we watched Night at the Museum last week. It was funnier than I'd expected it to be. The shabu shabu scene that was cut from the movie was so hilarious, too...
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Sun May 20, 2007 5:18 pm

Watched Death Note 1, and it was an awesome movie. I wuz looking at Wiki, and just learned taht there wuz Death Note 2, is there any way I can get a translated (preferable Korean, but English ok) version of it??
Oh ya, watched Water Boys (Japn.) and again, EXCELLENT!!!!
Hmm, I'm into Japanese movies lately, can anybody give a ideas on wat Japanese movie to watch next??
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gabriel » Sun May 20, 2007 5:39 pm

foif wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Did you watch the extras with that crazy guy? If you didn't you missed out.

Which crazy guy? I think i didnt watch it...
Donnie Darko fan pt. 1
Donnie Darko fan pt. 2
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Mon May 21, 2007 12:11 pm

I've had a peculiar affinity for Ridley Scott's Black Rain for a great many years, so much so I make a point of watching it at least once a month.

It's just one of those inexplicable things; it's not a ground-breaking or precident-setting movie, and one might even say it's a bit too male oriented.
However it does have a rich and absorbing story, set mostly in my favourite country, Japan.

Michael Douglas - who I'm ordinarily not a massive admirer of - plays the part of the anti-hero cop to perfection; striving to regain some semblane of honour after having his reputation sullied.
Plus, Andy Garcia and Ken Takakura support Douglas's protagonist admirably with great performances.
The plot in it's entirety is a little hard to explain, but I can tell you it revolves around concepts such as honour, vengeance, justice and, mostly, violence - on a large scale.

I'd recommend Black Rain to anyone with an eye for cinematic style, and a curiosity for Yakuza-related shenanigans! Highly enjoyable.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Gabriel » Mon May 21, 2007 11:01 pm

Black Rain's pretty good. Comes on AMC sometimes.

Finally got to see 28 Weeks Later today. Has the saddest opening scene I've ever seen in a movie... very good though.
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kristina » Tue May 22, 2007 12:36 am

Gabriel wrote:Black Rain's pretty good. Comes on AMC sometimes.

Finally got to see 28 Weeks Later today. Has the saddest opening scene I've ever seen in a movie... very good though.

Was it better or worse than the original?
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby Gabriel » Tue May 22, 2007 12:37 am

At some parts I thought it was better. At others I thought it was worse. I wanna say they're the same, but I'll give the nod to the first one.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Tue May 22, 2007 1:50 pm

Oh I finally watched 300 last night!! Good movie, although there's a lot of blood, it's done tastefully, in a way I forgot that it was blood!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Gabriel » Tue May 22, 2007 6:25 pm

Really? I didn't notice because it disappers, like in video games.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Tue May 22, 2007 7:04 pm

I saw Pan's Labyrinth the other day. Pretty good movie, kinda disappointed they couldnt dub it into english. Movies with amazing visuals should not be subtitled because you can miss somethings on screen while reading the lines. Kinda wish there was more of the fantasy stuff, but what are you gonna do.

I might go rent Apocalypto, I believe its out today. Although I have heard its in mayan or whatever i still wanna see the movie. Kind of a pity. I have nothing against subtitles, but in movies with action, it can drag it down a notch.

and as per my weekly ritual, I watch Boondock Saints last night. Twice a week every week for that past 3 years. Actually i have watched it more than that. Surprisingly I'm not sick of it yet, but then again its Boondock saints.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub