Watched any good movies recently?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Watched any good movies recently?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:06 pm

SunXia wrote:
Ugh these movies were made to capitalise on the misconception "nerds" have about being social outcasts because they're different. so its all angst and dark and in reality nerds are no more social outcasts than they make themselves due to worrying over what other people think. When you stop doing that you notice everyone is a little crazy in some way and diversity is cool.

I agree that a diversity of hobbies and interests is a positive thing for society and my experience of the adult world is that being a nerd is accepted. However I also think that the stereotype of being a social outcast for being nerdy comes from what most people experience in school. Kids are mean, teenagers are often worse and will pick on anything thing and everything that marks someone as different. So I'm not surprised that they target the market in that way.

All of that said I agree with the negative review
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:59 am

I don't know about all the "nerd" undercurrent stuff, if that's a thing I didn't pick up on it. Usually I catch moments in Michael Bay's "rake your childhood memories over the hot hot coals" flicks where he squeezes in a nerd-bashing joke or 50, but with Snyder in BvS the storytelling more just felt hollow than anything else. But I wasn't paying very careful attention to characterization in BvS because the first half or so of the movie was such a slog.

Also, people get hung up on...

Superman killing, but so was Batman. At least in Supes' case it was more collateral damage and we could blame it on Snyder being a Michael Bay fanboy in Man of Steel. (I shudder to think what the human body count is in the Transformers franchise, they've wiped out several cities.)

But Batman was straight up murdering mo'fos. Considering that Batman being unwilling to kill his foes was a central theme for two entire Batman movie franchises, one of them still fresh in our minds, I was far more insulted by this.

I was just generally annoyed, as well, at the lack of continuity DC is showing with Batman, you have this well-made trilogy that is mostly beloved by fans, I'm fine with the cast shake-up, but there were almost no traces of that series here.

Sun Fin wrote:All of that said I agree with the negative review

There were positive ones in this thread? :shock:

=====

edit

Ah, and I did watch about half of Our Brand Is Crisis, which stars Sandra Bullock as political campaign advisor Jane Brodin and Billy Bob Thornton as her foil Pat Candy. Jane, who is in a self-imposed retirement, comes out for a Bolivian election and ends up facing off with her nemesis Candy over the course of an ugly campaign.

Bullock herself as Brodin is great, the rest of the movie is very flat and boring. I got very turned off after a party scene that seemed to be directly lifted from the 2015 comedy bomb Sisters and a really unnecessary bus chase scene, so I ended up going to bed before I could finish.

Verdict: Pass, unless you want to expand your Sandra Bullock performance knowledge.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:14 am

I had heard good things about Our Band in Crises

Sun Fin wrote:I agree that a diversity of hobbies and interests is a positive thing for society and my experience of the adult world is that being a nerd is accepted. However I also think that the stereotype of being a social outcast for being nerdy comes from what most people experience in school. Kids are mean, teenagers are often worse and will pick on anything thing and everything that marks someone as different. So I'm not surprised that they target the market in that way.

Yeah I can see why films and shows play that old tune, I just don't think it was the case on this one film

The Snyder love in thread
Batman has, as I understand it, had a mixed history with whether he is willing to kill or not in the comics so Batman being a killer is not seen as an issue, more his reasons in this case are utterly stupid. Whereas Superman never kills (bar Injustice), it is the centre of what he is.

Snyder and co never tried to claim that Nolan's stand alone and clearly finished Batman series was related to the new DCU connected universe. Nolan's trilogy was wrapped up so I'm not sure why Snyder should complicate things for himself and the DCU team by tying it to Nolan's rather then the free hand of creating their own Batman world.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:13 pm

Watched Whit Stillman's adaptation of Jane Austen's comedy "Lady Susan" Love and Friendship. Premise: The widow Lady Susan Vernon (Kate Beckinsale) heads to her in-laws for a temporary stay as she looks to secure the future of herself and her daughter Frederica (Morfydd Clark)...

My sister and I almost left it, not becuase it was bad but it takes awhile to really get going and till then it is slightly underwhelming. Susan is clearly a great manipulator but the figures around her take a long awhile to come alive (it is the sort of film where the couple she stays with don't have a scene as a couple until the last few minutes) so the manipulations lack oomph. It is meant to be funny and one can see how the book would be funny but the jokes don't land for awhile, Beckinsale's quick delivery tends to kill the jokes in an otherwise very good performance. The only times early on it really comes alive in the early period is when Susan is with her close friend Alicia Johnson (Chloë Sevigny) where the two can be themselves, have a good chemistry and it feels human.

When Tom Bennett's Sir James Martin turns up, the film begins to come alive outside of the Alicia scenes. Sir James nervous stupidity provides a lot of humour but the characters begin to gel, the Vernon family begins to actually feel like a family with dynamics and personalities. With the characters feeling human, this gives more spark to Susan's constant manipulations, more of an oomph and it is fun to watch her spinning her web. Cast do a good job, ending phase doesn't entirely feel well put together in a logical way
Not sure why Susan suddenly allows/encourages her daughter to return to her in-laws

Both: 6.5
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:53 am

Dong Zhou wrote:I had heard good things about Our Band in Crises

It starts off fine, great even. Certain elements are quite wonderful about the film. But as it went on, it really lost steam. I could have seen the ending through but it was my bedtime. :lol:

Snyder love in thread continued
Fair enough on Batman and killing, I admit that I don't follow comics and therefore miss key facts like that. Still, I felt like most modern portrayals prefer to deal with his conflict over not killing the bad guys. I suppose I just personally prefer that portrayal.

By the way I wasn't suggesting a continuation of the Nolan trilogy, I also had the 80s/90s movie series in mind as well, along with animated series and features that have come out over the years. Affleck Batman seems like a completely different beast entirely, and I think I am leaning toward not liking it at this time. Meanwhile I actually quite like Cavill's Supes, but the films built around him have been quite poor, mindless "action-packed" spectacles without much substance.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting a clone of previous portrayals, but a brief nod with, say, a Batmobile styled after the Nolan run would have been a nice touch of familiarity in this alien movie, I felt.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:35 pm

Batman not being a killer is a mainstay of his personality and what one expects so I don't blame you. It leads to some great storylines for him like in the Nolan films. Going against that fine, I assume the comics where he is a killer aren't dreadful or anything, but the issue here is that this Batman really isn't well done what we got is a half-done killer who has the comic book breaking new stance of being an idiot :wink:

I think Nolan produced this or had some role? Given DCU seems to have an real issue with confidence (or perhaps thinks it will confuse the audience) I can see why they didn't do nods but yeah, it is a pity. The TV universe actually employs former cast members of DC films and shows in main roles (which I think would have been too far) as well as plenty of nods, so it would have been nice for some sort of nod to an excellent trilogy.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby SunXia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:43 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
Yeah, Lex Luthor creating an alien and apparently working with an alien with comment at end made no sense. I have no issue with Superman having doubts, the world has turned on him and that is going to take it's toll but it is not well done and he doesn't provide the optimistic/hope to counter it (TV's Supergirl is better at that)

Also yes, Batman is a idiot and the Martha thing is just ridiculous

Superman becoming downcast because the world had turned on him I guess is fine but the motivations for the world turning on his is ridiculous, even within the story that was being told. Superman kept to himself until other aliens showed up, so he stepped into the public eye because the situation forced him to. OK sure random damage to trucks and planes and drones and such shold be frowned upon but the public mostly doesn't know that.

I have no issue with the man becoming downcast our suffering confidence crisis but the story forced it instead of doing it the right way. Superman doesn't need a gun to kill all those warlords in the desert so that shouldn't have worried anyone, we still have forensic Scientists. He doesn't need a bomb to destroy buildings, he just has to fart in the wrong way and we are done for.

Superman is meant to be charismatic in comparison to Batman and even his alter ego Clark Kent as he deliberately act differently but nope we get a whingey man child who doesn't even try. It should have been done where the bomb give him the crisis due to survivor guilt or whatever but it just was forced and incoherent.

It is true it seems profitable in geek culture to play the outcasts card but I suspect it is less that, more just general poor writing in this case. Or Snyder's misreading of modern fads.

Oh definitely its poor writing but when you look at Superman's history you see the different iterations of his character and these movies feel like they are trying to reflect the dark era of his persona the angst ridden era and it doesn't work, it never did. He and Captain America were always beacons of hope and of light and such and thus the traditional boy scouts. It was obviously done this way to reflect the Propaganda of the era but you can't go from that to angst just because Batman proved popular when he became less camp and more angst. DCEU seem to be trying to do that instead of just making fun movies (like Marvel who have the fun and the dark consequences) they make dark brooding movies with forced development. Just look at the visual tone of Justice League trailers, all dark with perhaps the one or two jokes that will be in the movie slotted in to pretend its fun.

Sun Fin wrote:I agree that a diversity of hobbies and interests is a positive thing for society and my experience of the adult world is that being a nerd is accepted. However I also think that the stereotype of being a social outcast for being nerdy comes from what most people experience in school. Kids are mean, teenagers are often worse and will pick on anything thing and everything that marks someone as different. So I'm not surprised that they target the market in that way.

Kids and Teenagers are cruel to each other all the time and all the time think they're the only people in the school being picked on. They have done studies and found (or concluded etc) that kids lack a chemical that helps them feel empathy for what others are going through while thinking they're the good moral people. My experience in school was that I was picked on, not by the non-nerds and non-geeks and non-alternatives but the goths, geeks and alternative people. They actually made a "I hate Sun" club because I didn't know what "depression" was or because I didn't identify as anything and just wore what I wanted and hung more with everyone including the dudes. And because some of the boys they fancied, fancied me it turned into "poor little pretty girl" or "your boyfriend is gorge what do you know how I'm feeling" and such.

So yeah kids and teenagers are silly, my issue is with the adults who still live in this fantasy that they are social outcasts because the world has rejected them and oh life is so difficult all the while judging everyone around them. It is ok to disagree with "social norms" I often do this as I don't agree a man should buy the drinks or pay for dinner on dates (unless its like a family partnerships where she like works less than he. but same can be vice versa) but if a couple or people choose to live that way fine I'm not going to demonise them. And it usually comes from people who tell me they like being unique but then moan and say very nasty things about people who follow norms around them without realizing that perpetuates the idea of exclusion. Breaches in society can never be overcome without discussion on the topics that divide us and if you just put yourself and your issues above people you disagree with and just demonise them in your head then you are part of the problem.

I just don't like it when people are mopey about situations without trying to change it, without trying to engage. And this is what these movies are to me, especially BvS, we have two mopey vigilantes who don't try to discuss anything with one another and are just led by Lex, stupidly might I add, in his dastardly plan. At least in Civil War they sat down and discussed the issues that were on the table for discussion before it erupted into fights, you seen them try to avoid it until believable misunderstandings (within the context of the universe) occur.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:12 am

I don't disagree with anything you've written but I would point out that the primary audience (the fact we're having this conversation tells us that there is a secondary audience as well, one that is sizable) for superhero movies are teenagers so I can understand why they focus on that angst. Even if I agree it doesn't fit in to what I recognise as Superman's character.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:47 pm

People aren't logical, he is from a different planet, he is under no rule of law, he is suprpowerful so that scares people, he got blamed for deaths while saving girlfriend, some will stir up trouble. I thought it made sense for world to turn divisive. The lack of "beacon in the light" anywhere in the film is a problem though

I don't think going for a darker tone generally is wrong, I think doing it badly and not leaving room for other stuff (Superman being a beam of hope can still be in a dark film, romance, character development, humour). The Arrow in DC TV and Jessica Jones are the darkest of the respective TV franchises, both go for humour and romance despite one covering a very dark subject. If DCU is aiming for teenagers, they may have misread the market as I'm pretty sure adults watch superhero stuff a lot as well

Also yes, failure of Superman or Batman to discuss their issues was dumb.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby SunXia » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:46 pm

I have no issue with darkness, I don't, it can be done well, look at The Dark Knight trilogy, superb and realistic, again within the context of that universe.

I know that people are not logical but there should still be experts saying "Well we know that Supes didn't do this, he really didn't need to use bullets suspiciously made by Lex Luthor." At the end of Man of Steel, as much as that movie boggled me, at least he is still engaging with the army and such, destroying their property yes but still engaging. In this he doesn't engage until the bomb!!! That's what makes it boring, its just people constantly discussing their opinions on Superman while he mopes and saves people!! And then the greatest detective mind in the world, ie someone who IS logical eats it all up and mopes as well culminating in a fight that just doesn't make sense and the ending is just..."oh our mothers have the same name you must not be dangerous anymore. I saw that you weren't trying to fight me at all during this fight but alas Martha so Justicde League anyone?" then they brought in Doomsday into this mess and like uhm excuse me?

Yes Fin there's a market for these films, hell I go to see them because I HOPE they do better because well I love superheroes. But so much of the defenders are people who either just defend DC until someone Nukes Marvel creators or people who just connect with the angst because dark equals more interesting by default apparently. No. But hey they have a market for Transformers despite the many missteps there since the first one that was surprisingly quite good.

Sorry I see the animated DC stuff and to an extent the shows and they embrace the darkness while still embracing the cheese and that's where the films get it wrong. The Dark Knight can be believable because its done as a real world thing, there's no mystical elements to it its all logical within its universe. But when you bring in Powers its going to polarise people in the story its not all doom a gloom because realistically many will see him as a God and they will be very loud as well.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub