Watched any good movies recently?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Watched any good movies recently?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:55 pm

Is it just me or is DC announcing a lot of Batman related spin off movies? The Harley Quinn and her sirens (I know due to Suicide Squad but bear with me), Nightwing and now Joss Whedon (Marvel may be kicking themselves further for not taking up his push for Black Widow movie) doing Batgirl.

There were pro Superman talking heads. Among the armed forces? Film-makers never believe they might have people going "um, we don't need to worry about this". I liked the world wide debate but yes, Batman is an idiot in this and as much as I loved the Doomsday fight, his into was a bad move
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby SunXia » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:08 pm

Sigh more rants from me incoming. I'm sorry its more constructive criticism for me because I see what DC can be. Justice League Dark recently was an awesome movie, so hilarious and serious at the same time.

The Suicide Squad was a...hate saying dumb...misguided addition to the franchise to make at this time. We haven't seen these characters as Villains yet and we should have before we built p to Zod and Doomsday for crying out loud.

Harley Quinn:

Pros: The actress got the insanity right, it was amazing with her excitement and don't give a tripe mentality. The hair and face make up were cool for the outfit she was wearing and really gave the feel for the character.

Cons: Just way too sexualised at every turn. Her outfit was atrocious because Quinn dresses harshly and darkly not in hot pants and a t-shirt. Also why was she a stripper? She was obsessed with The Joker not with getting responses out of everyone else. One of my favorite Harley scenes was when she was fighting Black Canary and realizes that she is pregnant and stops and talks instead. It showcases how messed The Joker has made her while she still retains feeling. Where's her hammer and how is she surviving explosions and falls like that? All in all it just feels like they warped her into little teen straight fantasy sacrificing some of her interesting aspects to do this

Honestly didn't care too much about the rest of them. One literally existed to die off. I'm glad they didn't turn Amanda Waller into a stick insect like in many other franchise but still, doesn't help a bad movie with a bad plot. The bar scene was the only good scene in this. Dead Shot was an assassin and is yet a one man army in this despite the presence of real army men. The Enchantress was ridiculous we should have have her in another movie first.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:25 am

Watched British-Indian horror flick The Other Side of the Door. Stars Sarah Wayne Callies as mother Maria, Jeremy Sisto as father Michael, and Sofia Rosinsky as daughter Lucy. After her son dies when their car ends up in a river, Maria finds it hard to go on living. She is told by their nanny or whatever Piki (Suchitra Pilai-Malik) that it is possible to speak to her son from beyond the grave if she goes to a secret temple hidden in the woods and performs a ritual, but also prophetically warns her against doing one action in particular. Which of course she goes and does.

This isn't a great film, it's very cheesy as horror flicks go and the plot is by the book, yet I found myself pleasantly surprised that it managed to maintain a facade of decentness throughout. Turned into a bit of a promotional video for India at one point, which was awkward. Acting would come and go, and plenty of poor decisions by characters throughout. That said, I've gone in to some promising horror movies with solid expectations only to end up being immensely disappointed by the end of it. This didn't break boundaries, but it also ticked off many of the proper boxes. That said...

Verdict: Pass. Just doesn't bring anything to the table.

-----

Also sat through something like 30 seconds of 44 Inch Chest. Got the impression of Snatch or similar British caper films, but without all the fun. If someone says it's good I would be willing to give it another crack but as it stands, not worth the effort.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:18 pm

Will write about Suicide Squad soon

Watched Netflix sci-fi movie The Discovery. Premise: Thomas Harbor (Robert Redford) manages to prove there is some sort of life after death which leads to consequences for the planet. Two years after that discovery, Will (Jason Segel) and Isla (Rooney Mara) meet on a ferry.

We gave this a try because of the basic idea of what happens if we knew there was something after life. They come up with some intresting ideas and touch upon them, they explore it well at the start with oomph but over time the film becomes insular, it does come up with ideas of the impact on individuals but lack of build up to some of the characters involved means it lacks punch. It's biggest asset is the thoughtful side of things though as otherwise we might have left

The leading characters do enough for this film but if this was a straight romance film, they would lack the chemistry or interest to carry the film, there is a bit of humour from some eccentrics, cast do a decent job and there are some nice moments but there is something clunky about Justin Lader+Charlie McDowell's script. The characters don't fully come alive, some dialogue is rather clunky and though I enjoyed the ending, I only get that far becuase of the basic idea rather then the quality of the characters.

Both: 6.0
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby ky9ersfan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:00 pm

I watched Logan, it was your average superhero fare, set in the aftermath of the end of the xmen, and the elimination of most mutants. 5/10
ky9ersfan
Initiate

Unread postby Xiahou Ren » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:37 am

My review of Captain America: Civil War

GARBAGE/10

DZ edit: Removed the review and handing out trolling/language warning, expect a PM in upcoming days
Xiahou Ren
Assistant

Unread postby SunXia » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:59 pm

I would definitely like to disagree with your points there in regards to Civil War:

United Nations:
I have seen your points in the past about "standalone movies" but Civil War is part of a massive shared universe and one that started years before for Captain America. The reason he disagrees with the resolutions is because of the experiences he has had in the past work with a leash on. As part of S.H.I.E.L.D. he feels like he was treated as a weapon and he went on missions while being fed by the men in power that what he was doing was part of the "greater good". This was an organisation that was created by the woman he loved and despite his misgivings he stuck with it out of loyalty to her and to his country.

In Civil War we see Captain at his most disillusioned with those in power. In the 1940s he was used for propaganda reasons before he went against his superiors to save his friend. SHIELD recruited him in the Avengers to save the world and thats a noteworthy cause. But other missions he was being misled and such while also discovering that Hydra had survived inside the organisation. More than anything he doesn't want that leash tied around his neck because people in power make bad decisions as well, there was Nuke sent to New York during Avengers for example. He wants to be a mercenary force, tied to no group who can make him do things he doesn't want to do.

He is up against an Iron Man who is suffering guilt from his actions in Age of Ultron, an Iron Man who WANTS to be reined in because there needed to be someone to stop him. He also suffered PTSD after the first Avengers movie. So his convictions are pretty strong here as well. Iron Man wasn't made to do anything like Captain America, he was never a soldier, because of his wealth and influence he lived by his own rules and now he doesn't trust his own judgement. Both have experienced the extreme worst of both situations.

It's a bit like how ex-smokers and born again Christians are more likely (not all of course) to get in your face about things. "I used to think like you and I seen the light" or something like that. Because they changed their perception of things they're more determined to change yours.

I liked the movie, it made for interesting concepts. I certainly feel it was handled much better than the comics because it was built up to the story, the progression of characters not just "I'm right you are wrong blah blah fight"
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Critics, some of whom are begrudging of superhero films, seemed to really like Logan so sorry it didn't work out for you ky9ersfan.

Suicide Squad: Not seen it unsurprisingly (think of this as my musing preview) but when it was announced, I thought this was a great move by DC though it's Arrow record is patchy (Waller and Argus have been very good part of the show, the squad itself usually a disappointment). Marvel doesn't do anti-heroes and it's record with baddies in films is... patchy becuase they tend to do the bare minimum to build the bad guys up generally so why not show DC has a range of strong baddies. There are characters here that could move into other movies or get their own (which Harley Quinn is and I believe Deadshot they have plans for?) who would benefit from the introduction, Amanda Waller is the type of figure that can be used across the DCU as a government figure. They can do the kind of movies it might be hard for most of Marvel's characters to be involved in (heist movie perhaps?), they can also have a team at each other's throats and full of infighting (like first season of Farscape).

On characters I was looking forward to: Amanda Waller had been done well by Cynthia Addai-Robinson in Arrow
Arrow spoiler
they kill her off due to the film which does worry me for Flash
so intresting to see what they do in the films, is the kind of figure that can pop up in most films as a government figure, wily, tough, less then innocent, a formidable figure. Harley Quinn could be hit and miss in the Arkham trilogy for me, very good in Injustice but really excited to have her in a live movie, got an intresting backstory, a lot of eccentricity+deadly side and Margot Robbie is a good actress. Never seen a Deadshot that stands out for me but Will Smith is Will Smith. Seen Boomerang in Arrow but was a minor figure, Killer Croc was a good setpeice figure in Arkham but not sure how it will translate to movie. At some point there will be a bad Joker having seen Nicholson, Ledger and Hammill (my fav) excel in the role, slightly wary due to Leto's antics behind the scenes and the punk look but the Joker is the joker, a great character if done right.

Also trailer was awesome, been a long time since I got so excited by it. Was the most excited about this from DC's slate (now Aquaman).

Yet while I will watch it and hopefully have fun, I have grown a lot of concerns from the moment they did the Suicide Squad group photo. Ten characters in the team, not including Waller or the Joker. 10. Not including side characters. Yeah there is going to be no trouble trying to juggle all those characters in one movie and try to flesh them out so people like figures most have never seen before. The when trailers came out, rumours quickly spread of DC going "Oh, people love the trailers. Which for some bizarre reason is completely different tone from the actual movie.... let us have the trailer guys edit the movie rather then director, no way that will lead to a confused tone." aka more DCU panic. Oh and then... lukewarm reviews with accusations of sexisim.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:37 am

The actual "Suicide Squad" ends up a bit smaller than the poster suggests, but they did sacrifice some characterization to keep the spotlight on Harley and Deadshot. Captain Boomerang pretty much doesn't do anything of note except drink Fosters or something, and Diablo and Killer Croc only really come into their own towards the end.

Dong Zhuo wrote:At some point there will be a bad Joker having seen Nicholson, Ledger and Hammill (my fav) excel in the role, slightly wary due to Leto's antics behind the scenes and the punk look but the Joker is the joker, a great character if done right.

It's really unfortunate. I tried to look at how The Joker was portrayed in this with an open mind but it just fell flat with me. I guess we can say that Leto put his stamp on the character and he definitely didn't mimic those who came before him. But they stripped away everything that makes The Joker who he is for this, he's such an iconic villain but got reduced to a trope.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:01 am

Zyzyfer wrote:It's really unfortunate. I tried to look at how The Joker was portrayed in this with an open mind but it just fell flat with me. I guess we can say that Leto put his stamp on the character and he definitely didn't mimic those who came before him. But they stripped away everything that makes The Joker who he is for this, he's such an iconic villain but got reduced to a trope.

I agree, following Ledger was always going to be tough but I just didn't like Leto's interpretation. Although some of my comic book nerd friends say that this interpretation is closer to the original character.

I think they would have done better to have them all star as villains in other movies and then make this movie, that way we should have already had their characterisation.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub