Watched any good movies recently?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Watched any good movies recently?

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Tue May 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I loved Infinity Wars! It certainly wasn't a stand alone movie, if you haven't seen the rest you'll be so lost but for those of us who have followed the MCU from the beginning it had so many references and rewards!

My friends and family keep inviting me to see Infinity War, but I haven’t seen a Marvel movie since Spider-Man 3 in 2007. :lol: Which I don’t think is even part of the current canon...

I’d be totally lost. :(
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu May 10, 2018 3:21 am

Jia Nanfeng wrote:My friends and family keep inviting me to see Infinity War, but I haven’t seen a Marvel movie since Spider-Man 3 in 2007. :lol: Which I don’t think is even part of the current canon...

Yup. The MCU canon as it stands now was first established with Iron Man in 2008. And while I don't think it's necessary to have seen everything to make sense of Infinity War, like you can never watch a second of Thor, Spiderman, or Ant-Man and not miss much except for some nods to those films sprinkled in. But if you didn't see stuff like Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, the first two Avengers titles, or Black Panther, I can't imagine it coming across well.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu May 10, 2018 11:48 am

I haven't seen Thor Ragnarok, Spiderman Homecoming or Black Panther and I felt the Thor title was the biggest block in my understanding of the movie. Your general point about not needing to have seen every single film stands though.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Skode » Thu May 10, 2018 1:57 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:
Jia Nanfeng wrote:My friends and family keep inviting me to see Infinity War, but I haven’t seen a Marvel movie since Spider-Man 3 in 2007. :lol: Which I don’t think is even part of the current canon...

Yup. The MCU canon as it stands now was first established with Iron Man in 2008. And while I don't think it's necessary to have seen everything to make sense of Infinity War, like you can never watch a second of Thor, Spiderman, or Ant-Man and not miss much except for some nods to those films sprinkled in. But if you didn't see stuff like Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, the first two Avengers titles, or Black Panther, I can't imagine it coming across well.

I think Incredible Hulk is still canon the first movie of the MCU. General Ross has popped up in a couple of the films since, still played by William Hurt.
Skode
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu May 10, 2018 3:14 pm

It is. I, for one, just try to forget that it happened. I've sat through it twice and have vowed never again.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 pm

Skode wrote:I think Incredible Hulk is still canon the first movie of the MCU. General Ross has popped up in a couple of the films since, still played by William Hurt.

Don't make me do this. :cry:

Iron Man was first. Stark makes a cameo at the end of Incredible Hulk - with General Ross. And unlike Fury at the end of Iron Man, I distinctly remember the Stark/Ross scene. It was the first cameo to really feature intertwining between the MCU movies, as well.

I checked the release dates. Iron Man was first. My memory is not failing me, right? Someone back me up here... :cry:

Edit: Also, Sun Fin, you didn't see Black Panther? How does *anything* about Wakanda in Infinity War even make sense in that case? I can understand Thor:Ragnarok meaning more in terms of continuity but Black Panther basically set up half of the events of Infinity War, in my opinion.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri May 11, 2018 7:08 am

Yeah Zyzfer is right. Iron Man was released on 2nd May 2008 whilst The Incredible Hulk was released just over a month later on 13th June 2008!

I knew, because who couldn't with social media being what it is, that Wakanda was a secret state with ultra advanced technology, that we saw briefly at the end of Civil War . There were definitely subtleties I missed out on, like who certain secondary characters were, but noting that interrupted my understanding of the plot.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri May 11, 2018 8:53 am

Well I was kind of more hinting at...

minor spoiler
...why Vision needed to be taken there specifically, because he is made of Vibranium...

Although now that I think about it, I suppose they never explicitly suggested that and just focused on Wakanda having lots of tech.

But fair enough. Not seeing Ragnarok would certainly make the opening confusing, among other aspects of Thor's arc.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri May 11, 2018 10:52 am

I did miss out on that:

As you said I just thought they were the people with the best technology in general. However it did come pretty clear anyway when Captain America appeared with his new shields!

A friend told me I needed to read up on Thor before I saw the movie so I did, otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon May 14, 2018 10:59 am

Watched family drama This Is Where I Leave You. Premise: Judd Altman (Jason Bateman) is not having a great time, discovers his wife Quinn (Abigail Spencer) and boss Wade (Dax Shepard) have had a long running affair, then that his father has died. He heads back home to meet with mother Hilary (Jane Fonda), sister Wendy (Tina Fey), eldest sibling Paul (Corey Stoll) and youngest Philip (Adam Driver) plus their spouses. This will be so healthy...

The family dynamics work well, the inside jokes, the individual little relations between the siblings, the frustrations. There is humour, some good conversations and very good performances like the way Adam Driver really sells the immaturity and youth of Philip. Paul and Hilary feel like they fade out once their moments are done and aren't explored as much as they should be with Judd, Wendy and Philip getting the screen time. That and potty training which is disgusting and not needed at all.

The film also has spouses and lovers for all the characters, each (bar Wendy's husband Barry [Aaron Lazar]) gets their moment or moments in the sun.The film has a good supporting cast and generally avoids cliché's outside of Quinn, but none really get fleshed out and one wonders if it might have been better with a no spouses rule.

Both: 6.5
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub