Watched any good movies recently?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Watched any good movies recently?

Unread postby Shao Shanshu » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:33 am

Totoro is simply brilliant.
Never seen it in the cinema, though. See no point.
It's best watched at home with kids. :)
Shao Shanshu
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:59 pm

Watched Noah Baumbach comedy Mistress America. Premise: Tracy (Lola Kirke) is unhappy at college, life there is not as exciting as she had hoped. With her mother (Kathryn Erbe) due to be married, she meets future and older sister-in-law Brooke (Greta Gerwig) who turns her life upside down.

There is a certain stereotype associated with Gerwig movies and this fits in some ways, privileged self-obsessed, meant to be endearingly eccentric white characters, tendency for dialogue nobody would actually say but which writers think sounds smart and wise. There are elements of that though there is also awareness within the film at the characters privilege which helps balance it out. Film slightly drags near end of first half before picking up again and Tracy doesn't feel like a fleshed out, developed character at the end.

Enjoyed the film though, there are good situations with Tracy, side characters provide humour particularly in a generally amusing second half, there is somewhat unusual side romance, cast do a good job. What really adds to the film is Brooke feels a (within indie eccentricities) someone with a very believable problem
As she ages, her time is running out for success and regrets are piling up as she makes one last bid to do something
which builds up gradually across the film and is intresting seeing it explored.

Both: 6.5

=====

Watched sequel/prequel to Snow White and the Huntsman (without Kristen Stewart) The Huntsman: Winter's War. Premise: Huntsman Eric (Chris Hemsworth) was raised as a child by broken hearted ice-queen Freya (Emily Blunt) and served as a soldier under her army. Now his past is about to catch up with him in Snow White's Kingdom.

Slightly slow start, particularly when we got to adult Huntsman, but mostly the film does a lot of things ok and nothing much more. Freya is a reasonable villain but not much more (there are also elements of the story that feel very close to some Disney stuff), cast does fine but Hemsworth takes awhile to get going, humour doesn't work at first but as more characters come in that changes into an amusing film, fine action, romance is meh. The writers don't seem worried at how their scenario's would actually work in practise and the ending phase is simply ridiculous with one cast member
Theron as Queen Ravenna
acting as if told "just go so so so ridiculously over the top as you can".

Both: 6.0
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Nike12 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:27 am

Lion - movie about indian boy who got lost in India and after adopted by an Australian family. Touching story, great actors play, I personally admire Nicole Kidman. Based on a real story.
Nike12
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:37 pm

I tend to really enjoy Kidman's work, in some of my fav movies

Watched spinoff Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV, not played the video game but father had. Animated well bar one or two weird mouth movement when talking, I liked what they attempted to do with world building and issues but it could be a bit clumsy. The political staff was the best, had good themes, intresting characters including baddies making impact, best voicework even if Lena Headey was given Liu Bei-esque lines, enjoyed the political battles. I didn't care much about the guards and felt some of the voicework wasn't as good with their strands, went action heavy near end.

Both: 6.0

=====

Watched Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising which went for new angle of female sority led by Shelby (Chloë Grace Moretz) and how times have changed for those in first film. There is a nice theme about Teddy's struggles with his life and nice nod that first film had consequences, one or two nice running jokes but generally the humour falls flat for me and this time there aren't the likeable figures to enjoy, I didn't care for any of the characters. The film writers also mean well with little shots at society and sexism but, while one or two neat points, they fail to really build on it.

Me: 5.5
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to The Pub