Disney Movie Discussion

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Unread postby Cherry Coke » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:55 am

I like Mulan, Lion King, Pocahontas and some of the more classic films. The silly symphony cartoons (skeleton dance), cinderella....robin hood!! sword int eh stone

Nightmare before christmas is great and some of th elive action films are cool too. I remember watching bedknobs and broomsticks as a kid especially for like the last 15 minutes or so..I love those scenes! Mary Poppins and now the Pirates movies.

My only problem with Disney is I wish Eisner didnt run it and it remained more Roy and Walts..since they seemed to have so much more at heart for the good stuff.
Live, Love, Laugh, Believe, Dream
Cherry Coke
Apprentice

Re: Disney movie discussion

Unread postby SunXia » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:23 am

Toy Story 3 was an absoultely amazing fil and had me laughing the whole way through it!! Up was another enchanting tale and success from Disney!!

I rarely have any complaints from Disney!! Their wide range of movies always seem to mesmerise me from beginning to end!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Hyper90 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:50 am

SunXia wrote:Toy Story 3 was an absoultely amazing fil and had me laughing the whole way through it!! Up was another enchanting tale and success from Disney!!

I rarely have any complaints from Disney!! Their wide range of movies always seem to mesmerise me from beginning to end!!

im telling you, the last part of toy story 3 is epicly touching :cry:

disney always makes a nice impact to people, and pixar never stops telling good stories
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:41 pm

Outside of Bambi, Toy Story 3 was the closest Disney movie to get me to cry. I was there, but the scene didn't quite squeeze the tears. It was the scene when Andy finally put on the big boy pants and gave up his toys...

I rank them --

Toy Story 3, like what all trilogy enders 'should be' -- it was better than the rest overall
Toy Story 1, it was epic in its release
Toy Story 2, didn't care for much but it's ok

I can name plenty of Disney movies that I've seen in my life and loved but the list would cause me to constantly edit my post upon remembrance.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:10 pm

I like new-era Disney films, but for me they don't quite compare to earlier ones like Dumbo or The Jungle Book. One modern Disney trend that I could do without is the insistence on casting big Hollywood stars to do the voicework. It may help with the box office, but I feel that some of them give rather half-hearted performances compared to what you would get from a professional, dedicated voice actor. Certainly nobody ever complained that Snow White White and the Seven Dwarfs was no good because they didn't use Vivien Leigh in the lead role instead of Adriana Caselotti. I mean, think of all the great performances we would never have heard — such as Paul Winchell as the voice of a certain orange-and-black Hundred-Acre-Wood resident — if they had always done things this way. They would have used Nathan Lane instead. Yecccch.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:28 pm

I second that although I do love the Toy Story and Finding Nemo cast as they are, the rest I wouldn't care if they changed it!!

I loved Jodi Benson and Ariel, pure Disney gold!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:34 pm

I think alot of it is because of the recognizability of those figures. Whenever I heard Buzz Lightyear speak for example, I thought of Tim 'the Toolman' Taylor and whenever Woody spoke, I thought of Forrest Gump. It is those diamonds in a rough (unknowns in most cases) that bring out the great performances.

I believe big names are to reel in the parents not the kids.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hyper90 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:49 am

yeah kids wouldnt care who's acting or done the voice acting. they just watch the movies
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:49 am

Been watching a fair few old Disney movies for awhile. Several old films I have yet to see again like my childhood favourite Aladdin (and the two sequels), Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, Lion King, Tarzan, Dumbo, Emperor's New Groove among others.

On the ones I have watched lightly, Hercules was the best. Funny, likeable hero and love-interest, awesome songs, funny characters like the two demon thingies, intresting bad guy, good songs. Pocahontas is less goo on the story but has funny raccoon, willow, aide and a good villain but has one of the most awesome songlists I have ever heard! From the moment it starts with "glory, god and gold for the Virginia company.", it has catchy tune after catchy tune. Robin Hood was rather average, the Hunchback an erratic film but with memorable songs like the Bells and Hellfire. Loved Mulan as a child and has some good songs but when I tried to watch it a month ago, really got annoyed by the characters.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:54 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Been watching a fair few old Disney movies for awhile. Several old films I have yet to see again like my childhood favourite Aladdin (and the two sequels), Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, Lion King, Tarzan, Dumbo, Emperor's New Groove among others.

On the ones I have watched lightly, Hercules was the best. Funny, likeable hero and love-interest, awesome songs, funny characters like the two demon thingies, intresting bad guy, good songs. Pocahontas is less goo on the story but has funny raccoon, willow, aide and a good villain but has one of the most awesome songlists I have ever heard! From the moment it starts with "glory, god and gold for the Virginia company.", it has catchy tune after catchy tune. Robin Hood was rather average, the Hunchback an erratic film but with memorable songs like the Bells and Hellfire. Loved Mulan as a child and has some good songs but when I tried to watch it a month ago, really got annoyed by the characters.

My favourite Disney movie is Beauty and the Beast, hands-down, followed by The Rescuers. I have some major problems now with Little Mermaid and Hunchback, because those stories are supposed to be grim, damn it - and I know children can handle grim, so don't give me the standard Moral Guardian line that they can't (I've been one myself, and I did actually read the original Hans Christian Andersen and Brothers Grimm - disembowellings, beheadings, petrifications and all). At the very least Beauty and the Beast brought down some genuine Sturm und Drang before the inevitable happy ending. Actually, I find it to be the most metal of the Disney movies - even if it is somewhere in the happy-go-lucky symphonic realm of Nightwish and Edenbridge. :D

Actually, Mulan I found to be somewhat annoying at first, but it struck me later how insidiously Turcophobic the movie was. Though it was in the interests of certain emperors (particularly Qin Shihuang and the later Han emperors) to portray the Xiongnu on occasion as unreasoning, unfeeling and incorrigibly violent brutes, in fact the relationship between the Chinese and the Xiongnu was much more flexible than post-Qin historical scholars let on. Many of their descendants claim the Xiongnu chanyu as honoured ancestors; others (like many Kazakhs and Uyghurs) are still struggling to reclaim their traditions after their near-total assimilation by the Soviets and the Chinese (a period during which both groups faced massive institutional racism from both superpowers). Come on, even if you're going to treat their ancestors as villains, at least give them some semblance of a human side.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub