Disney Movie Discussion

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Disney Movie Discussion

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:00 am

Ah, I always liked how bumbling and pathetic Prince John and Sir Hiss were. It made them a delight to watch, even if they weren't threats in any real way. But they did always provide some good action scenes at least.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:16 am

Gray Riders wrote:I loved Robin Hood when I was younger, but when I watched it again a few months back wth my brother, I found that Prince John felt like a bit of a lame villain--I never really felt like our heroes were in any real danger. Hades is a good example of a comedic Disney villain who still managed to seem dangerous, but John and the Sheriff were about as threatening as Team Rocket.

Team. Rocket. Is. The. Best. Ever. Heresy! :lol:

John: Prepare for trouble!
Hiss: Make it double!
John: To protect the world from devastation;
Hiss: To unite all people within our nation;
John: To denounce the evils of truth and love;
Hiss: To extend our reach to the Scots above -
John: Prince John!
Hiss: Sir Hiss!
John: England will blast off at the speed of light!
Hiss: Surrender now or prepare to fight!

I love Team Rocket so much. Get rid of Team Plasma or whatever. Jesse and James are anime icons. :D
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:24 am

I love Robin Hood! One of my favourites!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:07 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:Team. Rocket. Is. The. Best. Ever. Heresy! :lol:

John: Prepare for trouble!
Hiss: Make it double!
John: To protect the world from devastation;
Hiss: To unite all people within our nation;
John: To denounce the evils of truth and love;
Hiss: To extend our reach to the Scots above -
John: Prince John!
Hiss: Sir Hiss!
John: England will blast off at the speed of light!
Hiss: Surrender now or prepare to fight!

I love Team Rocket so much. Get rid of Team Plasma or whatever. Jesse and James are anime icons. :D

I'm not disagreeing on how great Team Rocket is. I just used them as a comparison for how scary Prince John was.

I haven't seen the show in years, but I keep up with developments and the trio are still around.

So, anyone have thoughts on the live-action Mulan remake apparently being worked on?
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:58 pm

I'm more interested in the apparent Live Action Winnie the Pooh. I'm not sure how I feel about that. What's wrong with hand drawn? The last film they made of it was excellent.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:26 pm

I suspect Prince John's mother would have made a great villain given the clear pschyoligcal effect she has :wink: Yeah, he is fun but not scary

Shen Ai wrote:I'm more interested in the apparent Live Action Winnie the Pooh. I'm not sure how I feel about that. What's wrong with hand drawn? The last film they made of it was excellent.

Feels like Disney is starting to live action anything they can get their hands on. Not a bad idea per-se, a way of giving the classics a new look, but does seem weird for Winnie the Pooh.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:54 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
Feels like Disney is starting to live action anything they can get their hands on. Not a bad idea per-se, a way of giving the classics a new look, but does seem weird for Winnie the Pooh.

Indeed. Jungle Book I can understand. And Paddington too. But Winnie the Pooh? Just feels like it should naturally be drawn.

Oh, and I just found out they're making a Frozen 2.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:42 am

Shen Ai wrote:Oh, and I just found out they're making a Frozen 2.

Shocking. That movie was such a flop, I thought for sure that would be it.

Otherwise we would be hearing the song on the radio, or seeing Frozen merchandise in stores, or having kids dress up like Anna or Else or something.

(Comes out from under the rock)

...Oh.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:21 pm

Has anyone heard who is going to play Mulan in this? I heard a scary rumour that it was a famous Caucasian white actress whose name has now slipped my mind but I can find no reference to this online and so was wondering if it was just scaremongering?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:01 pm

Shen Ai wrote:
Oh, and I just found out they're making a Frozen 2.

Ah good, I look forward to Fox reminding us how it degrades men :lol:

Sun Fin wrote:Has anyone heard who is going to play Mulan in this? I heard a scary rumour that it was a famous Caucasian white actress whose name has now slipped my mind but I can find no reference to this online and so was wondering if it was just scaremongering?

I heard quite a few wanted the woman from Shield, otherwise heard nada. It would be disturbing if they can't find an Asian woman for a story about an Asian woman
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub