Disney Movie Discussion

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Disney Movie Discussion

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:47 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Would people here want to see more movies like Malafcient which tells a traditional Disney film from the villain's view? I rather enjoyed the film so I would like it if they have a good idea

I could see it being a good idea, though I myself didn't like Maleficent.

Like this new Cinderella film they're making. I think it'd be neater if it was a story about Lady Tremaine instead of the typical Cinderella story.

Other candidates, hmm... well I would like to see a Pied Piper film.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:26 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Watched The AristoCats, saw it once or twice as a child but forget it, very much enjoyed it in a 7/10 way, had a lovely time. Slightly unusual way of drawing human faces, the villain more a joke then scary, some clever nods with the characters French names. A nice romance, loved the song "everybody wants to be a cat", some lovely side characters like the hounds and the charming geese. Ok some of the trying to be cool language sounds forced and seems dated and this isn't much about an adventure but about the characters. With characters being enjoyable, that isn't such a bad thing.

That was indeed a fun one. And Éva Gábor still has one of the best voices in classic Disney's voice talent pool - I particularly enjoyed the original The Rescuers (and thought The Rescuers Down Under was good, too, but the environmental message felt a bit forced and on-the-nose when I last watched it; not quite up to the FernGully gold standard for that, but close), and pairing her up with the voice talent of Phil Harris (The Jungle Book, Robin Hood) was golden. I didn't even mind the dated 'cool' language or the lack of action; pretty much the only bit I didn't like in The AristoCats was the Fu Manchu-styled cat in said musical number - even for 1970 that was pretty offensive. But otherwise, yes - brilliant movie!
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:53 pm

Shen Ai wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:Would people here want to see more movies like Malafcient which tells a traditional Disney film from the villain's view? I rather enjoyed the film so I would like it if they have a good idea

I could see it being a good idea, though I myself didn't like Maleficent.

You like Cao Pi but not Maleficent? Tell me, do you have a white cat and an evil lair? :P

What didn't you like about it?

Like this new Cinderella film they're making. I think it'd be neater if it was a story about Lady Tremaine instead of the typical Cinderella story.

Good one.

Problem is most of the villains like Ursula, the baddie in Alladin whose name I knew 5 seconds a go, Gaston or Cruella probably would not be a good subject. Maybe Beast if he counts? Hades from Hercules?

Other candidates, hmm... well I would like to see a Pied Piper film.

I could see that being a potential disaster if they got it wrong though

WeiWenDi wrote:And Éva Gábor still has one of the best voices in classic Disney's voice talent pool

My Dad was quite pleased he saw her name on the opening credits

WeiWenDi wrote:. I didn't even mind the dated 'cool' language or the lack of action;

I didn't mind lack of action either, would have been wrong with that film. Just felt I should mention it as the type of film it was

WeiWenDi wrote:pretty much the only bit I didn't like in The AristoCats was the Fu Manchu-styled cat in said musical number - even for 1970 that was pretty offensive.

Thought that was just me! Yeah, that didn't sit well
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shen Ai » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:42 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
You like Cao Pi but not Maleficent? Tell me, do you have a white cat and an evil lair? :P

What didn't you like about it?

That evil layer is my treehouse and the cat's name is Bauer I'll have you know!

I liked the character of Maleficent very much, even though the ending was trying a little too hard to copy off of Frozen. She was well portrayed, sympathetic, hauntingly charming, and overall likeable.

It was the film. Short, kind of predictable. The evil king was so badly miscast. The guy is a talented actor (He was great in DIstrict 9 and decent in Elysium) and seemed an interesting character (not just innately evil), but his performance was a little.. it didn't fit. While the two leads were good, the rest of it was kind of a mishmash of different ideas. I thought it was a very creative take on Maleficent (until the Frozen-esque end of course), but it could have been like, 20 minutes longer and let the story breath a little more. It was fast and chaotic.

Good one.

Problem is most of the villains like Ursula, the baddie in Alladin whose name I knew 5 seconds a go, Gaston or Cruella probably would not be a good subject. Maybe Beast if he counts? Hades from Hercules?

Lady Tremaine has some good storyline potential. You could make her out as a very tragic character with a good actress and writing team.

Jafar. Yeah, him and Cruella seem too petty and arrogant to be good tragic leads.

Ursula could work, if they maybe portrayed her as a kind of outcast among the Merfolk, spurned for maybe her different appearance (octobody) or her use of magic. Maybe the story could be changed so that she really does love Prince Eric and is jealous of Ariel. Or maybe she is a believer in true love and is testing how far Ariel can go to prove it. Something like that.

Gaston probably wouldn't work, you're right. Unless they actually made the Beast the villain, but that undermines the 'love and beauty is not skindeep' lesson if it's a handsome Gaston saving Bell from a hideous beast. Sends a poor message.

Hades... well I'm not so keen on seeing another adaptation of Greek mythos. Not after Clash of the Titans and Hercules (Dwayen Johnson one).

I could see that being a potential disaster if they got it wrong though

Yeah, on second thought a man leading children away from their homes being a lead hero doesn't sound good on paper. There is a good potential story there though.

Thought that was just me! Yeah, that didn't sit well

WeiWenDi wrote: The AristoCats was the Fu Manchu-styled cat in said musical number - even for 1970 that was pretty offensive. But otherwise, yes - brilliant movie!

The cat playing the piano with chopsticks and singing in mock Chinese? Yeah, that was incredibly offensive.

I remember I was always Toulouse among my siblings when we watched the film as kids.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:26 pm

Shen Ai wrote:
That evil layer is my treehouse and the cat's name is Bauer I'll have you know!

Bond will be so disappointed

I liked the character of Maleficent very much, even though the ending was trying a little too hard to copy off of Frozen. She was well portrayed, sympathetic, hauntingly charming, and overall likeable.

It was the film. Short, kind of predictable. The evil king was so badly miscast. The guy is a talented actor (He was great in DIstrict 9 and decent in Elysium) and seemed an interesting character (not just innately evil), but his performance was a little.. it didn't fit. While the two leads were good, the rest of it was kind of a mishmash of different ideas. I thought it was a very creative take on Maleficent (until the Frozen-esque end of course), but it could have been like, 20 minutes longer and let the story breath a little more. It was fast and chaotic.

I can understand that. I thought Sharlto Copley wasn't the problem, the poor way the kind was handled was the issue and he was not given as much depth as one would expect. I thought they mostly get pacing right, just should have written end phase differently and nuked the fairies

Lady Tremaine has some good storyline potential. You could make her out as a very tragic character with a good actress and writing team.

Agreed

Ursula could work, if they maybe portrayed her as a kind of outcast among the Merfolk, spurned for maybe her different appearance (octobody) or her use of magic. Maybe the story could be changed so that she really does love Prince Eric and is jealous of Ariel. Or maybe she is a believer in true love and is testing how far Ariel can go to prove it. Something like that.

Some reason, I think it would be a little sad to see her turn from great villain to something more sympathetic but it could work very well.

Yeah, on second thought a man leading children away from their homes being a lead hero doesn't sound good on paper. There is a good potential story there though.

Not even sure they would touch that as the villain. If they could something other then children, a pied piper morality tale might still make a good movie.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:23 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Bond will be so disappointed

I can understand that. I thought Sharlto Copley wasn't the problem, the poor way the kind was handled was the issue and he was not given as much depth as one would expect. I thought they mostly get pacing right, just should have written end phase differently and nuked the fairies

Ah, Goldfinger wasn't all that.

I can agree with that. He's a perfectly fine actor, something just struck me as off. Perhaps his descent into madness could have been shown a little better. I liked in the beginning when the character seems almost sympathetic, or at least very human in what he does, even if it's wrong (what he did).

Oh yeah, I didn't like the fairies at all. Which is a shame, since they were my favourite parts of the original Disney animation.

Some reason, I think it would be a little sad to see her turn from great villain to something more sympathetic but it could work very well.

Not even sure they would touch that as the villain. If they could something other then children, a pied piper morality tale might still make a good movie.

That's true. Ursula is a great villain and to take away from that might not be such a popular idea.

Yeah, it does seem like a very eyebrow raising kind of story should it ever be considered for the big screen. Whisking away everyone's dog doesn't have the same impact though. Potentially they could make the Piper a kind of rescuer for orphaned kids or abused ones. And if it'd help, they could make the piper young as well.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:23 pm

Shen Ai wrote:
Yeah, it does seem like a very eyebrow raising kind of story should it ever be considered for the big screen. Whisking away everyone's dog doesn't have the same impact though. Potentially they could make the Piper a kind of rescuer for orphaned kids or abused ones. And if it'd help, they could make the piper young as well.

I agree with everything else.

What might work, for a non Disney movie, is the piper luring an over 18 lady to a hedonistic life they regret. Either as a horror or a drama but I can't see any way for the piper to work for Disney other then animals or to invert it like you say.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:39 pm

BFG coped with taking kids away from their families so I don't see any reason why it couldn't be pulled off with the Pied Piper if handled well.

I went to see Big Hero 6 with my girlfriend at the weekend. It was recommended by a friend a few hours before hand and we had no real idea of what to expect but we really enjoyed it. It got the balance between being a classic marvel film and still being targeted at children spot on I think. Well worth a watch!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:50 am

Watched Robin Hood again, felt better this time. Possibly changed expectations, possibly family around, possibly a bit drunk :wink: Was a pleasant enough film with one or two scenes dragging a little, the visuals have their olde charm, some nice battles. What is frustrating is they have a great opening tune, go 50 minutes without a song then three good ones in a very short space of time, then go near song-less again.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:10 am

I loved Robin Hood when I was younger, but when I watched it again a few months back wth my brother, I found that Prince John felt like a bit of a lame villain--I never really felt like our heroes were in any real danger. Hades is a good example of a comedic Disney villain who still managed to seem dangerous, but John and the Sheriff were about as threatening as Team Rocket.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub