Disney Movie Discussion

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Disney Movie Discussion

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Watched Jon Favreau's 2016 version of The Jungle Book. Visually very very impressive work to create the jungle and the animals in such a beautiful way which was mentioned a lot at the time this came out. Favreau and co clearly have a lot of love for Disney (can't comment on what they took from Kipling) with some delightful touches
loved the book at the end like the old films
and nods while they avoided the trap of copying too closely, only time I felt nods didn't work were the songs which were lacking for me, things like the Bare Necessities were better as part of the incidental music rather then sung. Mowgli (Neel Sethi) felt like an actual child rather then a Hollywood version of a child, very good voicework generally, just about enough humour.

I did feel it's baddies were lacking with the exception of Kaa's (Scarlett Johansson) one scene, they tried hard with Shere Khan (Idris Elba) and did all the right things (bar his scar isn't noticeable on a small screen) but there was a lack of power for me. King Louie (Christopher Walken) they had an intresting idea or two with him but I felt Walken was poor and didn't fit the general theme of the movie. I did feel second half had a few moments that drifted but overall felt it was a nice movie but one whose visuals were better then the overall content.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:15 pm

I disagree about King Louie, I thought he was terrifying for a kids movie. Would definitely agree with the music, I thought Bare Necessities' was the only one that kinda worked.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:07 am

I thought the idea behind him worked , I just blame Walken or whoever told him to do it in that style
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to The Pub