Disney Movie Discussion

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Disney Movie Discussion

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:25 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Tried Sword in the Stone, can see certain Disney traits like use of animals for humour, the old style of animation and so on. The idea for Merlin's character isn't bad but they don't quite pull it off and humour doesn't work, struggled to be interested in the characters. Did love Fred Darian's sung opening narration

This is one of my favorites from classic Disney!

I finally saw Inside Out the other day! I thought it was very clever and thoroughly enjoyed it!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun May 08, 2016 12:51 pm

Watched Tangled again, still think the best of the modern Disney princess movies but I can see why Frozen became the cultural hit instead. Ending a bit rushed and romance starts a bit arbitrarily but otherwise really enjoyed it, fun songs with it's big setpeice being moving, the mother is awesome with some really cutting lines, some fun characters but the animals are superb.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:25 pm

Watched the 1940 film Pinocchio. It is dated in terms of colour fade, some of the humour around Mr Cricket, things like the gypsy baddie, it is far far far darker then modern Disney would do (and a lot darker then some modern dark movies). I found the film boring in terms of sheer entertainment, scenes tended to drag for much of it, the humour doesn't quite land. I recognise the songs and they are iconic in their way but mostly becuase Disney has reused them better. Visually it is still good despite colour issues, there is a nice ruddiness to humans and the Blue Fairy is beautiful.

What is intresting is the cleverness of the film. The all sorts of different clocks and how they are used, building a sense of the characters having been around for years, the little moral fables in the storylines, some inventive storylines. The one area it is arguably not clever is that Pinocchio is a complete innocent and completely gullible yet none of his carers seem to have taken that into account.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:30 am

My brother and I watched Zootopia this weekend. An excellent film that handles it's themes on prejudice and racism a bit more maturely than many films do. Nick and Judy played off each other very well and they did an excellent job of building a world around the idea of numerous species of varying size and abilities reaching sapience.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:44 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Watched the 1940 film Pinocchio. It is dated in terms of colour fade, some of the humour around Mr Cricket, things like the gypsy baddie, it is far far far darker then modern Disney would do (and a lot darker then some modern dark movies). I found the film boring in terms of sheer entertainment, scenes tended to drag for much of it, the humour doesn't quite land. I recognise the songs and they are iconic in their way but mostly becuase Disney has reused them better. Visually it is still good despite colour issues, there is a nice ruddiness to humans and the Blue Fairy is beautiful.

What is intresting is the cleverness of the film. The all sorts of different clocks and how they are used, building a sense of the characters having been around for years, the little moral fables in the storylines, some inventive storylines. The one area it is arguably not clever is that Pinocchio is a complete innocent and completely gullible yet none of his carers seem to have taken that into account.

As a child I found the film terrifying, both the bit where he got turned in to a donkey and got swallowed by a whale seriously freaked me out.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:56 am

Gray Riders wrote:My brother and I watched Zootopia this weekend. An excellent film that handles it's themes on prejudice and racism a bit more maturely than many films do. Nick and Judy played off each other very well and they did an excellent job of building a world around the idea of numerous species of varying size and abilities reaching sapience.

I have heard really good things about that but not enjoyed the trailers

Sun Fin wrote:As a child I found the film terrifying, both the bit where he got turned in to a donkey and got swallowed by a whale seriously freaked me out.

Yes, I remember the donkey thing being creepy
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:52 pm

I'd recommend Pete's Dragon (2016). I just saw it and it is quite a solid little movie. I've never seen the original, but I know it had some musical numbers (this one doesn't) and was seen as being a little too cute and charming (didn't know that was a thing people didn't like in kids films).

But the remake is a very touching, innocent, soulful movie. Great for families, well acted, well made. It might be my favourite live action Disney film remake yet.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:37 am

Watched Peter Pan, famed for it's attitude towards native Americans but it's treatment of females isn't much better. In terms of overall quality, well drawn but Tinker-bell feels like she is drawn flat (as are the mermaids), songs tend to be chorus with the pirates having some catchy ones and the one really good song is the uh... controversial Indian one. Good at creating sense of characters from all the kids, the baddies, the parents (all hail George), the use of animals like Nanny and the crocodile was excellent, loved the crocodile. Hook's costume is more memorable then himself but the crocodile is a great character!

I do wonder how deliberate Peter Pan being sinister is. The way he is drawn, his temper, treatment of others, enjoying mutilating others and driving someone into a break-down, it is either a really clever glimpse at the nasty side of children or inadvertent.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:32 pm

Saw Black Cauldron and I agree mostly with Shen Ai. It isn't bad but it is flat, it has nice moments but a lot of it drifts. The main three aren't intresting, voice acting is pretty good but are moments where it feels odd, narration is contradicted quickly in movie, drawn well, adventure jumps about between too many area's without building. Gurgi/Gollumn and the witches are fun though and I did like the pig.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon May 01, 2017 6:14 pm

Watched Zootopia which was highly hyped in reviews though wasn't fan of trailers. It started really strongly then fell away a bit, lots of things I loved: the world and the glimpses of that wider world which was full of lovely touches, side characters like the bunny father (Don Lake), Chief Bogo (Idris Elba), assistant Mayor (Jenny Slate), Officer Benjamin Clawhauser (Nate Torrence) were fun, the sloth scene was awful in trailers but brilliant in the actual film, it attempted to tackle some heavy themes and pulled some of them off.

The thing that stopped it being Up level for me was the main mystery was a little lacking and the chemistry between the main two Hops (Ginnifer Goodwin) and Nick (Jason Bateman), at times it really sang and there were good quips and moments between the two, other times it just didn't do much. It never dragged but there were plenty of moments when focused on the main adventure where it was just fine.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub