Celebrity Death Thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Should Celebrity Deaths Be Afforded Extra Attention & Press Coverage?

Yes - Celebrities are more important than regular people
17%
No - It's just one person, and 1000s of people die daily
83%

Total votes : 94

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:25 pm

Two famous deaths recently:

- Phil Rizzuto, New York Yankees shortstop on 7 of their World Championship teams of the 50's and 60's, and later one of the best-known announcers (and who could forget his ads for The Money Store?), passed away recently at the age of 89. Although personally I'd consider him in the lower-tier of those enshrined, he nonetheless was elected to the Hall of Fame and was beloved by New Yorkers far and wide.

- Max Roach, legendary jazz drummer and percussionist, famous equally as much for his bepop playing behind band leaders such as Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker, as for his avant-garde and civil rights triumphs behind his own group M'Boom and alongside fellow-luminaries such as Archie Shepp and Cecil Taylor, passed away August 16th at the age of 83.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:46 am

-Also not noted here was Bill Walsh, the legendary 49ers coach passed away a few weeks back, and he definitely deserves a mention here. He coached my favorite all time team with the late 80's Niners with the superb likes of Joe Montana, Roger Craig, Jerry Rice, Steve Young, Tom Rathman, etc etc etc...
He was also the innovator of the "West Coast Offense" that so many teams have followed suit on, for better or worse. Truly one of the best coaches in the history of American Football.

-I will also note a recent death, and is sadly yet another professional wrestler. Brian "Crush" Adams passed away a couple weeks back as well. I remember him well from his Demolition days, as well as the "Hawaiian" style Crush they repackaged him as. Cause of death is still witheld at the moment as far as I know.
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Pi » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:44 am

Luciano Pavarotti the famed Italian tenor passed away this morning at the age of 71 after a year long battle with pancreatic cancer. Best remembered as one third of the "The Three Tenors" along with Plácido Domingo and José Carreras he was also an award winning humanitarian and charity campaigner.
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one." - James A. Froude
Liu Pi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jiang Yi » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:34 am

ehhh........Hal Fishman the guy whos a news reporter in LA he died recently because of sickness i think, my mom saw him since like....a long time
" Think negetively to one thing and you will suceed"
Jiang Yi
Student

Unread postby Rakoru Hiryuu » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:59 am

I don't think the death of celebrities is more important than anyone else, for me the person I love is an important death.
Rakoru Hiryuu
Academic

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:01 am

Rakoru Hiryuu wrote:I don't think the death of celebrities is more important than anyone else,

Who here is arguing otherwise?
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:10 am

Lexus Fiend wrote:
Rakoru Hiryuu wrote:I don't think the death of celebrities is more important than anyone else,

Who here is arguing otherwise?

Well, the poll question asks about it, so there's nothing wrong with addressing it.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Vanman » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:41 am

Robert Jordan, author of the "Wheel of Time" series has died of complications from primary amyloidosis with cardiomyopathy at the age of 58.

I must admit I wasn't into his work. I tried to read the first book, but gave up half-way through as I found it too long and drawn out with nothing of intrest to keep me reading. That being said, I know many people who love this series and will be lost now that he'll never finish it.
"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains save both." -Erwin Rommel
Vanman
Assistant

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:15 am

This is somewhat late, but I just found out about it and am very sad.

Ian Wallace, drummer for King Crimson from 1971-1972 and longtime tour drummer for Bob Dylan in the '70's and '90's died in February from esophageal cancer. After mending old wounds in the 1990's, Robert Fripp often referred to Wallace as "Wallace the friend". He will be missed.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:49 pm

RIP Robert Goulet!
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub