Celebrity Death Thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Should Celebrity Deaths Be Afforded Extra Attention & Press Coverage?

Yes - Celebrities are more important than regular people
17%
No - It's just one person, and 1000s of people die daily
83%

Total votes : 94

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:15 am

LKS broke the news about Boris Yeltsin in another thread:

LKS wrote:Yep yesterday afternoon Boris Yeltsin the first man to lead Russia as a democracy and a capatalist country died. He was an exceptional man who had two characters , the serious and methodical president that risked his life to free Russia from communism climbing onto a tank to bring about the end of communism and bring in the way of democracy to the red country , he was a man who brought the country steadily into democracy under his governing hand.

However he was also a fun and loving person who was always remarked as having a great sense of humour and he enjoyed a drink , sometimes a little bit too much, he had many pranks some good and bad , i remember watching the time he visited Germany and smashed of his head took over the playing band and started conducting in a crazy way.

Anyone have opinions on the man , for good or bad , it is undeniable that he is a influential and great man.

Feel free to discuss your thoughts on BY. That's what this thread is for, after all. ;)
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:20 am

His intentions were good but his methods and results are doubtful at best. I would never leave my country and start a new life in Australia if Putin was the president in 1991-1998. Democracy is just the word in post Soviet countries. Those who lived there for at least 10 years and especially those who also remember Gorbachev's rule in 1986-1990 know what I'm speaking about.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lafeel » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:20 pm

RiP, Boris.

Your methods may have been faulty, but then again no one made a workable road map to real democracy for a nation that has never seen democracy in it's long history.
Lafeel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gabriel » Wed May 16, 2007 3:18 am

Jerry Falwell is dead at the age of 73. I'll always remember that parody in the Hustler magazine.
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jason » Wed May 16, 2007 3:19 am

Gabriel wrote:Jerry Falwell is dead at the age of 73. I'll always remember that parody in the Hustler magazine.

He was that televangelist, right? Never been a big fan really.
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby Gabriel » Wed May 16, 2007 3:24 am

Yes, and I'm not either. TV evangelists are the devil. That pardoy's hilarious though.
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Wed May 16, 2007 4:06 am

Hand me some wooden stakes and a mallet...
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Adam » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:20 am

I guess he's sort of a celebrity, but <B>Joel Siegel</B> died at the age of 63, most likely due to his longtime battle with colon cancer.
He was a film critic that most people would recognise from ABC television (Good Morning America namely).
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jason » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:01 am

Adam Sisemore wrote:I guess he's sort of a celebrity, but <B>Joel Siegel</B> died at the age of 63, most likely due to his longtime battle with colon cancer.
He was a film critic that most people would recognise from ABC television (Good Morning America namely).

Oh yeah, I know the name, what a shame. I'm sure I'll hear more about it tomorrow on tv.
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:42 pm

"Honest Ed" Mirvish, pioneering Toronto retailer, all-around bigshot, age 92.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub