Celebrity Death Thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Should Celebrity Deaths Be Afforded Extra Attention & Press Coverage?

Yes - Celebrities are more important than regular people
17%
No - It's just one person, and 1000s of people die daily
83%

Total votes : 94

Celebrity Death Thread

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:57 pm

Since the old thread appears to be gone, I'm going to have to create a new one. Two names I want to mention:

Earlier this year Raymond 'Boz' Burrell, best known as bassist and vocalist for King Crimson from 1971 to 1972, and as a founding member of Bad Company, died at the age of 60 from an undisclosed illness, at his home in Spain. Boz shunned his time in Crimson in later life, and the lineup he played in was frequently derided by fans. In recent years, thanks to archival releases by KC guitarist Robert Fripp's DGM label, the '71-'72 lineup has been thoroughly rehabilitated as an excellent live outfit. Whether Burrell derived any pleasure therefrom is unknown, but either way 60 is far too young to die.

The other name I want to mention is certainly a bit more earth-shaking, and that is the passing of James Brown at the age of 73 on Monday after being admitted to a hospital after suffering from pneumonia. It says something about longevity in Western nations now that I find even 73 a bit young to die, as Brown otherwise seemed to be going strong. Perhaps it is the news of Chuck Berry's recent 80-th brithday celebration extravganza that leaves me shocked here, but in any case, Brown is one of the most important music makers in the history of music and was one of the few men capable of being ground-breaking and original while also being a commercial powerhouse.

'Boz' and James, RIP.

Adrian
Last edited by SunXia on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Its not very well New any longer
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Adam » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:21 pm

Suppose I'll throw in one that I was sad to hear died.

I wasn't really a fan of <B>Peter Boyle</B> on Everybody Loves Raymond (I hated the show so...). I remember him mainly for the movie Young Frankenstein (Mel Brooks). And of course the complete opposite type of movie which he was great in; Joe.
He had a stroke in 1990 and he had a heart attack in 1999, yet he stuck with us 'til 2006.

Uhh, yeah I suck at these things, but I liked Peter Boyle so I figured I'd add him.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DAv » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:26 pm

Wilson Pickett died this year. And did Peter Boyle play the father?
It's 108 miles to Chicago, We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of ciggerates. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses - Elwood
Hit it - Jake
DAv
Academic

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:36 pm

They say these things come in threes, and James Brown-GERALD Ford-Saddam is certainly a triptych for the ages.

EDIT: Fear not everyone, Harold Ford is still very much alive! :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Tigger of Kai on Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby GenFusha » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:17 am

Helluva lot of important deaths this year. Steve Irwin's made me the saddest, and Saddam's was the most surprising.
-If there is one way I'd wanna be remembered, its for passion, for enthusiam- Conservation is my job, my life, my whole personna!*grin*-

--Steve Irwin.

1962-2006

Husband, Father, Hero, Legend. *salutes*
GenFusha
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:20 am

DAv wrote:Wilson Pickett died this year. And did Peter Boyle play the father?

Oh no, Wilson Pickett died? That sucks. "Mustang Sally" and "Land of 1000 Dances" are all-time classics.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Adam » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:15 am

Joseph Barbera, half of the animation team Hanna and Barbera that made shows like Yogi Bear, The Flintstones and the Jetsons to name a few.
and Jack Palance...nothing real important to say about him though.

Edit: Oh and Peter Boyle is the dad on Raymond.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sam » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:26 pm

Arthur Lee, the late frontman of Love, passed away earlier this year. One of my favourite songwriters, his death hit me pretty hard when I heard of it. And even worse, I wrote an obituary on him earlier in the year as part of my degree, which naturally led me to believe I was a direct influence on his fate.
Otherwise known as Wang Ping (Zijun)
Sam
Sweeper of Invaders

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:28 am

DynastyWarriors6 wrote:It's been on the news that last 4 hours so I made a thread for her. The sad thing is the baby she had still needs to be DNA tested.

Here's CNN take:
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/ ... bit.smith/
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:26 am

Confession: I used to watch Anna Nicole's TV show. I dunno, I'll watch anything, if it has a good theme song.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to The Pub