Celebrity Death Thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Should Celebrity Deaths Be Afforded Extra Attention & Press Coverage?

Yes - Celebrities are more important than regular people
17%
No - It's just one person, and 1000s of people die daily
83%

Total votes : 94

Re: Celebrity Death Thread

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:27 am

James Horner, composer for films like Titantic, Braveheart, Avatar has died in a plane crash.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:40 pm

Nintendo President & CEO Satoru Iwata died yesterday. He rose through the ranks as a programmer. He infamously coded EarthBound from scratch, worked on Pokémon :pika: Gold & Silver, and helped create Kirby. He also gave himself a hefty personal pay cut when Nintendo's margins weren't up to snuff, because he was adamantly opposed to laying off employees. He was a giant in the industry. Nintendo has some big shoes to fill.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Aaron.K » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:08 pm

Rowdy Roddy Piper died of cardiac arrest in his sleep at the age of 61. I feel like my childhood is slowly being chipped away with all these recent deaths.
"Why have you come to Jotunheim all alone?"
Aaron.K
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:45 am

Cilla Black, singer, actress and TV host, has died.

I remember her charismatic and warm hosting of Blind Date and surprise surprise, she really boosted those shows as people loved her.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:20 am

The director Wes Craven, famous for the Swamp Thing, Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream, has died from brain cancer.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Alan Rickman has died.

I enjoyed a lot of his films, great as the Sheriff in Robin Hood Prince in Tights, Sense and Sensibility, fun lead in Galaxy Quest, a great Snape, a big part in Perfume which is one of my favourite films.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:50 am

Alan Rickman was great. Aside from Snape, Hans Gruber in Die Hard, and both Galaxy Quest and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I really loved him in Sweeney Toss as Judge Turpin. Who know he could sing? :D

Several co-workers on Harry Potter including Daniel Radcliff and Emma Watson took the time to write something, and it seems he was a good person off-screen as well, helping even the young actors with their roles. His unique voice and awesome talent will definitely be missed.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:13 pm

Sir Terry Wogan, broadcaster for the BBC has died after a short battle with cancer.

Used to enjoy his humour during radio shows when family was driving or his Eurovision work (before he became a bit too cynical about it).
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:42 am

We also missed David Bowie off the list. It's been a sad few months in British celebrity deaths. :(
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Former Toronto mayor Rob Ford died today at the age of 46.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub