Your Roots

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Your Roots

Unread postby urbanterrorist » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:04 am

When did your parents/grandparents/ancestors come to the country you currently reside in?
Knowing that there is an eclectic group of people here, this might be interesting.

I am a first generation immigrant. My parents came from Seoul.
They miss the whisper that runs any day in your mind,
"Who are you really, wanderer?" and the answer you have to give
no matter how dark and cold the world around you is:
"Maybe I'm a king. -William Stafford
urbanterrorist
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Adam » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:11 am

I'm not entirely sure, but I know on my great grandfather's side his grand parents came over here in the late 1800's (I had a geneology thing somewhere, but I think it's jammed in a closet now).
They lived in Russia at the time, which is why my name is Sisemore, it was changed from something like Seisemore to seem more American.
That's why it's pronounced Size-More and not Sis-E-More or Sis-More.
As far as I know my great grandmother's family (not sure how far back) came over here from Ireland, but her brother has all the information and I'm not asking him for it, the rich douche...

If I find the thing I'll post something more interesting, if it's possible for me to post something interesting. :P
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:23 am

My great-gradfather on my dads side lived in Germany but fled to America because of Kaiser Wilhelm. He was a stow away and made it to New York, this is where he wrote my last name which is werid because supposdly it's a name of a village (rumor I don't really believe it though). He then went to Oklahoma and did the Oklahoma land rush and lived on the farm for the rest of his life. His farm land also had oil but he only allowed drilling for awhile then he booted them off when he got tried of them basically. I forget when he died and I never met him but he is by far one the of more interesting people in my family history.
Last edited by DynastyWarriors6 on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Chris the King » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:26 am

I'm a product of WWII. Grandpa on my dad's side escaped from the Japanese invasion in China (Yan Tai, Shangdong Province) to Seoul, where he met my grandmother. My grandmother was Korean but grew up in Japan. So my dad is half Chinese half Korean.

My mother was born in Taipei, Taiwan, but my grandparents on her side came from Lin Yi, Shangdong Province (by Qingdao, same as the beer). My Dad passed the TOEFL exam to get a scholarship to San Francisco State University. During a several month long layover in Taipei, he met my mom and they got married. He brought her and his parents over to California, where I was born, so I'm 2nd generation.
Chris the King
Changshi

Unread postby Rhiannon » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:09 am

On my father's side, my ancestors came in the 1800s (post Civil War, I believe) from Scotland.

On my mother's side, well, we're Native American. :wink:
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby SunXia » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:32 am

Well my Granny on my dad's side has Scottish Origins, as does my Granda on my mum's side!! Ironic, my Grandfather on my dad's side and Grandmother on my mom's side are of Origins of Galway (West Ireland) and came to Belfast during the Famine in the 1840's Ireland!!

So I'm two quarters Irish and two quarters (half and half you can say) Scottish in ancestry, but I'm just Irish in my own opinion!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:46 am

I'm first generation from Shanghai, China.
[Current System]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.63 GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 770 @ 1241/3906 MHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Triple Channel
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Cooler Master HAF 922 Chassis
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:22 pm

My grandfather came in the 60s from Punjab, India to England to work in some factory. He brought his family of course. With my dad getting a PhD.

Mum came in '84 after getting hitched, had me in 85'. She also got her PhD in 95'.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Kristina » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:57 am

Germany!!!! my great-grandma moved from there. she has this horrible German accent. the accent isn't horrible, it's kinda cool actually, but i hate trying to understand her! but yeah, i get the blonde hair/blue eyes thing from that i guess. it's weird, b/c most people consider that typically american. . .
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:32 am

Most of my relations came into this country prior to the Revolutionary War. The Loders are an English lineage and the branch of the family leading to me (and probably every other in the country given how uncommon a last name it is) arrived in Pennsylvania in the 1700s. That would be my paternal grandfather's side. I associate, rightly or wrongly, my great love of British TV and the fact that most of my favorite bands are British, to this large quantity of such blood in me.

My paternal grandmother's side, the Strykers, are Dutch, and an ancestor on that line was recorded among the people in New Amsterdam (before it was New York). This would have been somewhere in the years following 1624, when the first beginnings of New Amsterdam occurred.

My mother's side is almost entirely Irish. My maternal grandmother's line, the Toneys, came over sometime in the 1800s. My maternal grandfather's side, however, the Hughes', came over fairly late, as my great-grandfather Hughes came to this country in the early 1900s.

There are, of course, other lines obscured by the male surnames that took precedence, such as the Van Wies, who were Dutch. On my father's side there was a Frenchman who came over in the 1600s, he is one of my (many) great x 14 grandfathers. He was, as could be surmised, a Huguenot. And somewhere in the late 1800s on my paternal grandmother's side there was an interracial marriage with the son of a freed slave. His family would have had to have been chained up and hauled over here sometime prior to the cessation of newly imported slaves in the early 1800s.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Next

Return to The Pub