Facebook

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Facebook

Unread postby SapphireKirby » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:16 pm

One of my friends made a Facebook account for me a few years ago, without really asking. xD

I don't really talk to people on there. (Since most of my friends have me on msn/skype or whatever.) But it's okay. I honestly don't like the games on there. xDD
"Be vigilant! Be vigilant! If an evil is minor, resist it nonetheless. If a good deed is trifling, perform it all the same. Only wisdom and virtue can truly win men's devotion." - Liu Bei's testament (Chapter 85, p. 1012)
SapphireKirby
Apprentice

Unread postby Pancakes » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:56 am

I liked Facebook at first but then saw that my a few of my classmates and friends post every minute, it's really annoying. And there are apps that my friends kept on inviting me before even if I declined those for a hundred times already. Luckily, there was an option to block those invites so I was saved.
Pancakes
Tyro

Unread postby Human5 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Pancakes wrote:I liked Facebook at first but then saw that my a few of my classmates and friends post every minute, it's really annoying. And there are apps that my friends kept on inviting me before even if I declined those for a hundred times already. Luckily, there was an option to block those invites so I was saved.

It is the same with me. I recently disabled my account there, and I'm glad I did it.

EDIT: I reactivated my account about two weeks later. :pika:
Last edited by Human5 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Texas Rangers.
Go Mavs. Go Stars. Go Cowboys. Go WEI
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:48 am

I'm more of a Tumblr person nowadays, but Facebook used to be alright, and I still go on it occasionally. It gives me the convenience to make plans with friends, meet new friends, and stay in touch with friends, which is basically the only reason I use it. I ignore all the game notifications and invites, the pokes and whatnot. Because of Facebook, I've gotten in touch with people I haven't seen since 5th and 6th grade, people who I hadn't spoken to in years but remember. At least it's done that much for me.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:22 am

Hey whoever runs SoSZ facebook group, let me in.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:55 am

I think I just approved you as a member.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:00 am

James wrote:I think I just approved you as a member.

You did. thanks!
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Starscream » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:56 pm

I am usually neutral towards Facebook and to me it is another technological tool that you can use to aid networking and connect with friends and colleagues. Untl recently, I do not find FB to emit the same air of innocence especially with the introduction of the timeline. What irks me most is the deliberate cataloguing of your activities and making the information available to all.

The privacy option is available in the most reluctant manner and I was told by one of my contacts the only way to manage the timeline is to choose what information I want to hide and hide them. That means if I kept FB account for years, I will have to seive through years of posts and review everyone in my contact list to see what content is appropriate to be seen by who. The old format does not attempt to categorise your activities and tell people for example, how often you post in FB, or bring up to everyone's attention what you were doing in a particular month. That is certainly extremely rude and invasive. Even among close friends, I do not see the need to announce every single thing I do. The moment information are categorised, it becomes more than just an innocent post; it has evolved into usable and quantifiable data.

With that in mind, I decided to deactivate my fb once and for all, until they scrape this timeline feature. Not sure what other FB users here think about this issue?
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Human5 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:21 pm

Starscream wrote:That is certainly extremely rude and invasive. Even among close friends, I do not see the need to announce every single thing I do.

Wouldn't this also partly by the user's fault, because they didn't need to put a status about everything they do either?
Go Texas Rangers.
Go Mavs. Go Stars. Go Cowboys. Go WEI
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Starscream » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Human5 wrote:
Starscream wrote:That is certainly extremely rude and invasive. Even among close friends, I do not see the need to announce every single thing I do.

Wouldn't this also partly by the user's fault, because they didn't need to put a status about everything they do either?

Partly yes. When people get too carried away, they do not realise when the tool they use to socialize turn against them.

Sometimes it may be just an innocent post you make to share with everyone what you ate for dinner and where. Then comes the timeline which emphasies the trend of where you go to eat, how often and what kind of food you usually like. There is a difference between letting old posts slide all the way to the bottom and be left unnoticed unless there is someone who conscientiously try to pry into your private affairs, versus hanging your profile out in the open to attract all kinds of attention. This is where I find the timeline breaches the line.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Previous

Return to The Pub