Facebook

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Facebook

Unread postby Kristina » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:36 am

I've been sucked into Treasure Isle as of late. Like, bad. I added a bunch of people I don't know.

Then again, I do this with every game on Facebook. I add a bunck of people so that they can gift me the goodies I need, and as soon as I get over my obsession, I delete them all. Some of them try to befriend me, BUT I'M USING THEM ALL.

Another plus of adding everyone in sight is that you see how little of your day goes into playing the game. There's a woman that has gained 10 levels in the past three days. She's at level 70.
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby Patricoo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:51 am

A speech about games... but mostly facebook games.

Its a bit long, but everyone here has that kind of internet time, right?
"Yey and did Fonzi downstairs cometh from his apartment from above the garage. And sayeth he, 'Reassembeleth will I, the pieces of my motorcycle, though I suffereth from temporary blindness. And yey for I am holy. Amen."
Patricoo
Langzhong

Unread postby Adam » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:48 pm

It's nice to see Mark Zuckerberg doing his best to make Facebook not work.

Ever since they forced their new ugly profile on people the website has barely worked for me...things disappear randomly, my profile picture changes to a picture I deleted a while ago at complete random (yes Facebook's servers keep every picture you ever upload, requesting to have it removed from the server garners a response but no actual deletion of the picture).

Now they have the new picture viewer which is literally a giant black box that pops up with a picture in it.

I don't see anything but bad things for Facebook if it continues down this path of fail.

Edit: It's also sad that I can add "Mole" as one of my languages yet I can't add a language from a television show. >.>
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Faerlyte » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:48 am

I only keep facebook because I find that if I ditched it I'd permanently lose contact with some old friends from school. It's still tempting to dump it anyway, but on the other hand I like to be able to check in on those people from time to time and see how they are.

Not to mention no one would ever be able to get a hold of me again if I left. Apparently not owning a cell phone makes it impossible for someone to call you because home phones are just too uncool now. Maybe talking on a phone in general is just uncool? Why talk when you can text?

Sigh...what's the world coming to...
"If you can't do something smart, do something right." -Jayne Cobb, Serenity
Faerlyte
Apprentice

Unread postby Mikhail » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:49 pm

Adam wrote:Now they have the new picture viewer which is literally a giant black box that pops up with a picture in it.

Yeah, that's annoying. I used to use facebook to find and save awesome pictures of things that I usually can't find myself. Now I can't because of that black box..
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Adam » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:11 am

Faerlyte wrote:I only keep facebook because I find that if I ditched it I'd permanently lose contact with some old friends from school.

Pretty much the only reason I really use it anymore, although replace school with everywhere. >.>
With all the incredibly amateurish work they've been doing on the website lately I might have to do it to keep from going crazy with all the randomly disappearing crap.

Yeah, that's annoying. I used to use facebook to find and save awesome pictures of things that I usually can't find myself. Now I can't because of that black box..

There's a "Download Picture" option where the tag/share stuff is...not sure if they added it just recently or not but I don't seem to remember it when I first noticed the hideous black box.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:26 am

Haha I work in social media/marketing and am glued to my HD Android Phone and facebook for both work and general punditry. I'm also an organizer for Young Labor thus end up sending many many messages per day about coordination/logistics.

It's a reliance to such a degree that I almost indignantly yelped when I read the posts in this thread of people not finding good uses for facebook (and landline? seriously why don't we just abolish nation states and revert to cavorting with druids and death by stoning? :P )

Anyway I jest. At the end of the day facebook and smartphones and twitter etc. they're all just communication and information sharing. There's no inherent virtue or vice to it, it depends on the quality of communication.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Adam » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:41 am

Solution to hideous black box:

Just click on the URL bar while viewing the picture and hit enter, it'll take you to the old view of that person's album/picture.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:49 pm

The Group function in facebook is quite archaic nowadays. Nobody really uses the groups anymore I don't think. It's mostly just apps and games + chatting

Went to the SoSZ wall and don't really recognize anyone in particular other than those I already have on my list... grrr
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:21 am

Stephen 'MacFinch' Finch is me Jiang Zhi :).
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In the middle of no-where; in other words Lampeter, Wales!

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub