What songs are you currently listening to?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: What songs are you currently listening to?

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:26 pm

Song: 'Children of the Grave'
Artist: Black Sabbath
Album: Master of Reality (1971)
Genre: Heavy / doom metal / acid rock
Comments: What can I say? These guys invented heavy. And doom. I've been on a real Sabbath kick recently, and this is one of their best albums. Ever. And 'Children of the Grave' is just one of those classic anti-war tunes they used to be famous for, back in the day, along with 'War Pigs' and 'Electric Funeral'.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Feng Shin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:27 pm

Melanie C. - Never Be The Same Again (single edit) & (original mix)
Nicoleta Dara - Is It True
Solid Harmonie - I Wanna Love You (radio mix) & (original mix)
Anggun C. Sasmi - Hanyalah Cinta
Arash feat. Helena - Broken Angel
Blaxy Girl - Oare Trebuie sa Pierzi
Kaoma - Dancando Lambada
Nayer feat. Pitbull & Mohombi - Suavemente
Zumba Fitness - Zumba Mami
Emma Bunton - What Too You So Long
Soya n' Sun - Useumyeo Annyeong
Daisy OST - Hey
Houko Kuwashima - Shinkai no Kodoku (japanese version) & (piano fandub english version)
Feng Shin
Tyro

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:50 am

"Past the Point of No Return" from the Phantom of the Opera, as well as the titular theme, "Phantom of the Opera".

"I Hold On" by Dierks Bentley is a good country song. "Change" by Carrie Underwood is also a favorite.

Classic Rock: literally just came on the radio is "Sexual Healing" by Marvin Gaye. That's a fantastic song and a reminder folks: Don't underestimate The Power of Love, no matter the form it takes. Boston also has "Man I'll Never Be", my favorite Boston song. "Edge of Seventeen" by Stevie Nicks is a masterpiece.

Hip-Hop: I like Nelly's "Just a Dream", that's a great song.

Rap: I enjoy a fair bit of Eminem's stuff, lately I've really liked an older song, "I Need a Doctor" with Eminem, Dr. Dre, and Skylar Gray.

Pop: Nothing super recent, although Edward Maya and Vika Jigulina's "Stereo Love" is good. Doesn't that horn sound make you think of old-time French music? In the 90's it was pop - "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia. I guess I like "Story of My Life" from One Direction.

Punk Rock: Don't listen to it often, but I enjoy "Jumper" by Third Eye Blind. Old 90's band.

Cartoons/Anime: Can I say enough about Disney music? "Be Prepared" and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" are amazing. "Be a Man" from Mulan. Basically anything pre-2000 for sure, and a ton after that too. "Art of the Dress" from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. "Farewell to My Love" from Banner of the Stars II.

Other: All manners of video game music. Special to me is an orchestral, lyrical version of Terra's Theme from FF6.

Animusic is a fantastic set of music utilizing animation to create some crazy audio and visual masterpieces. "Pipe Dream" is their most famous one, although I prefer "Stick Figures", "Acoustic Curves", and "Aqua Harp". These guys are really talented, considering there's only 3 of them.

That's most of everything. I listen to a ton more songs, of course, but those are ones that come to mind. I'll listen to almost anything, by the way - any genre is OK for me (except Ska). I'm more partial to particular songs than anything else. Like Nelly above - I don't really listen to Nelly, but that song is really good and I like it.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:37 pm

Song: 'War (Is Within)'
Artist: Сварог
Album: Смор (1995, Demo)
Genre: Doom / sludge metal
Comments: Serbian sludge! Heavy influences from classic Black Sabbath and also crust punk bands like Amebix, Discharge, Sacrilege, Hellbastard and so on. This song has a grungy, almost Cathedral-like psychedelic feel to it, though; a good cadence and some solid, chunky, decently-pased riffing. Vocals leave a little bit to be desired; he doesn't do the hardcore barking very well, and it sometimes sounds like a lazy death metal growl. Really weird that all the lyrics are in English even though the band name and album name are in Serbian. IIRC, the digital album is available for free download on their website or Facebook page - bit rate is only 192 kbps, though.

Song: 'Eternal Quest for Eternal Happiness'
Artist: Goat Horn
Album: Voyage to Nowhere (2001)
Genre: Heavy / doom metal
Comments: The first doom metal band I really got into was Austria's Crimson Cult (which is actually more of a doomy power metal band), but very shortly after that I discovered the eternally beer-buzzed Canadian garage band Goat Horn. Lyrics are cheesy as hell, but do they know how to rock, eh? This album of theirs is probably the roughest-around-the-edges, and doesn't have the blistering catchiness of Storming the Gates, but this song does give their later album a run for its money! They are an acquired taste, but once you get into their groove, you can never get out of it. Their songs stick in your head.

Song: 'Godslayer'
Artist: Lair of the Minotaur
Album: Godslayer (2013, EP)
Genre: Thrash / sludge metal
Comments: Another grower-then-sticker, if you like your music brutal and relentless. Thematically it's a bit over-the-top, but sometimes you gotta just sit back, relax and enjoy the cheesy silliness of bands like Lair of the Minotaur - it's all in good fun! This song, strange though it sounds, has a very The Guess Who feel to it, listening just to the progressions. Parts of it are almost classic hard rock; others are just really brutally-speedy, sludgy riffs. But it's all pinned down and held together by some masterful hammering drumwork.

Song: 'Vote with a Bullet'
Artist: Corrosion of Conformity
Album: Blind (1991)
Genre: Thrash / sludge metal
Comments: You can alwasy count on Corrosion of Conformity to serve you up a good heaping pile of left-wing revolutionary politics along with your sludge, fried up in down-home North Carolina-style. Here, too, you've also got Pepper Keenan with a rare vocal performance that works remarkably well. The Southern rock influences are present alongside the thrashy instrumentation, making for a unique and highly effective blend. Love these guys, and really glad that Pepper got back with the band. Best of luck, fellows!
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Hussam » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:44 am

I'm mostly listening to One Direction these days, plus some older Taylor Swift songs and some Westlife songs.
I also enjoy listening to Ariana Grande, Carly Rae Jepsen, Backstreet Boys.
I also like some old songs like Hey Jude by The Beatles, Sweet Child Of Mine by Guns n Roses and Hotel California by Eagles.(this last one is somewhat scary :P )

Okay I think I made it clear that I like pop music. :P

right now I'm listening to You and I by One Direction:
https://youtu.be/mDzS9SQ6Xac
other songs by 1D I have been recently listening to are:
Rock Me: https://youtu.be/BbTdJfo8PG0
Back For You: https://youtu.be/j5oIz-8gDvs
عالندا الندا الندا و الورد مفتح ع خدا
و إن ما عطيوني ياكي يا جبال العالي لهدا
Hussam
Student

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:19 am

Lately I've had "Boys of Summer" by The Eagles vocalist and drummer Don Henley. Looking up the name of who sung it (I didn't know before now), I see the music video won many awards. If you've ever seen the music video you know that it's very...80's. I mean, I kinda like the 80's because it's a bit kooky and...hilarious :lol: , but you watch it for like 30 seconds, with no music, and you know it's the 80's.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:02 pm

I recently rediscovered my abiding love for Soundgarden.

Song: 'Rusty Cage'
Artist: Soundgarden
Album: Badmotorfinger (1991)
Genre: Stoner / grunge rock
Comments: All this time I thought this was a Johnny Cash song! How wrong I was - but the Johnny Cash cover kicks all sorts of posterior also. Chris Cornell's voice is entirely different, and as such the song sounds very different. Guitar work is a little bit fast and light for my liking, but the lyrics and the heavier bridge really bring the song together and drive it home.

Song: 'Drawing Flies'
Album: Badmotorfinger (1991)
Genre: Stoner rock
Comments: Now here is where things get fun! Rubber-meets-the-road, boot-up-your-arse biker rock - not quite Motörhead or Orange Goblin worship, but closer than one would expect from Soundgarden. Cornell's pissed-off (but still clean!) vocals match perfectly the simple riff that drives the song, though the lyrics he fires off in his half-shouts indulge shamelessly in Cathedral-esque levels of sesquipedalianism and abstraction. The saxophone backing makes for the finishing blow, drawing in a few elements of classic Bruce Springsteen for good measure. Excellent stuff!

Song: 'Mailman'
Album: Superunknown (1994)
Genre: Doom metal (!!)
Comments: Whoa. I know there are a lot of traditional doom touches on Superunknown generally ('4th of July', 'Black Hole Sun'), but that opening riff on 'Mailman' just screams 'we love Saint Vitus!' This would sound very much like a standard-issue traditional doom song, if it weren't for Cornell's warped crooning, by turns falsetto and throaty-to-baritone. Headed for the bottom? Hardly.

I really need to pick up King Animal soon, though my budget at the moment is quite limited...
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:32 am

Just discovered Matchbox Twenty, they seem like they were big in the USA but never really came over the Lake to the UK. They appeared on my youtube and I'm really enjoying them!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zetta » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:54 pm

I've been listening to music the whole day. It's not even songs but entire albums!

Lost Years - Black Waves (New retro wave / Synthwave)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi9tJ8QoBus

Arsafes - Ratocracy (metal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ap654lhR8

Arsafes - Revolt (metal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y89Lp9AeZSs

Fear Factory - Genexus (industrial metal)
https://youtu.be/Zrus_4L6ZJQ?list=PLqlN ... iXFogUDaVD

Kreator - Phantom Antichrist (thrash Metal)
https://youtu.be/bGnaih2cuoc?list=PLSZ0 ... 4GPBTkZJiI

Hypocrisy - End Of Disclosure (death metal)
https://youtu.be/2GLFIh7L-5E?list=PLx4n ... 0KJZ5WGNAL

Hail Of Bullets - III: The Rommel Chronicles (death metal)
https://youtu.be/Dj1m9BcwRm4

I feel like WeiWenDi and I are going to get along pretty well... At least when it's about musical tastes.
Zetta
Initiate

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:29 am

Zetta wrote:I feel like WeiWenDi and I are going to get along pretty well... At least when it's about musical tastes.

:lol: That indeed we would! Kreator's latest - that's good stuff, man!

I've been getting back into Eastern Euro hard 'n' heavy recently for some reason.

Song: 'Волонтёр'
Artist: Ария
Album: Мания Величия (1985)
Genre: Heavy metal
Comments: One of the first Soviet heavy metal bands, still alive and kicking in 2015. This song is from Ария's debut album - this is probably the single most epic track they have recorded in their long history. Meandering yet still intense, with a unique poetic flair.

Song: 'Полюшко-поле'
Artist: Aura
Album: От Героев Былых Времен... (2015)
Genre: Symphonic extreme power metal
Comments: This is actually a mix-up of an old Soviet patriotic WWII song by Viktor Mikhailovich Gusev, and the song 'Downfall' by Children of Bodom, in whose style the music is actually done. You might not think that power metal would go very well with old Soviet army songs, but they pull it off! Aura's one of those newer bands I need to be watching more carefully.

Song: 'Война миров'
Artist: Aillion
Album: Война Миров (2015)
Genre: Heavy / power metal
Comments: Aillion, on the other hand, are a Belarusian heavy metal band I've had my eye on for some time now. And the more so since their first two EPs came out - their second EP, Stranger, was a blitz of crunchy, thrashy, riff-heavy power metal in the style of Morgana LeFay, Tad Morose and mid-career Gamma Ray. Clearly (and self-avowedly) they are heavily influenced by their compatriot thrashers Vicious Crusade. So now their first full-length is out, and they've mellowed a bit... but not by too much, thankfully. The songs here are all still quite solid, and 'War of the Worlds' here is an excellent example.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub