Favorite Television Shows

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Favorite Television Shows

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu May 19, 2016 6:45 pm

Watched Heroes Reborn a continuation of Heroes but with a break. Premise: Evo's have been made public but a huge gathering at Odessa, Texas is destroyed by a terrorist attack. We pick up a year on from that with evo's blamed and hunted down.

It brings in a lot of the old cast like Nathan Bennett and for the most part, it works well. Some are cameo's, some are deeply involved in the story and it works well but for some reason, they made a major part of the story about a character whose cast member didn't rejoin the cast.
who?
Hayden Panettiere
. They mostly get away with it but there is one episode where it just too ridiculous. Does mix in new cast members like Danika Yarosh, Judi Shekoni, Kiki Sukezane, Ryan Guzman, Rya Kihlstedt, Gatlin Green and Zach Levi though I felt Robbie Kay didn't quite land some moments. While it is happy to nod to the past, the break allows them to free itself of getting convoluted in it's own past

Overall, it is a nice enough show. Doesn't have the global feel of the old shows but does some intresting things
game world and enjoyed the time travel two-parter
, some nice twists, I liked characters like Nathan, Molly, Emily, Quintin (Henry Zebrowski), it had a good villain, juggled cast well. It was lacking a little something to make a tense end phase and it fell flat in some big end moments. By the end I was thinking "well nice but glad one season only" only for something
a great last minute hook
that rather left me wanting to see more despite the limited quality.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon May 23, 2016 9:17 am

Loved season 2 of Shield, ripped through it very quickly but it didn't have the big impact shock of season 1 when
Ward turned out to be a villain.

I've just bough Agent Carter season 1 and aim to start working through that in the near future!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri May 27, 2016 5:06 pm

I think you will enjoy Agent Carter, fun show.

Watched part 1 of season 2 of Fear the Walking Dead. I loved the first season, though it could be slow, for exploring it's characters and the world collapsing, I was worried they had rushed past the "opening days of the walking dead" and would become similar to Walking Dead and I fear my worries have been correct. The one aspect they had to make it different
the boat
is never fully used while it also doesn't use the show's strength, the characters are not built on for the most part.

It struggled early on becuase characters made some daft decisions, over the top music that ruined atmosphere, cheap walker effects (maybe trying to go for "early dead" but just seems so cheap) and some poor writing but it did recover, it had some good adventures. It wasn't that different from the main series but good, sometimes moving, adventures with good characters is something to enjoy. The problem however was near the end as show went with something that based around an idea the main show had already done
a compound where the zombies are stored up for religious reasons
and it goes bad fast. It has good ideas for the characters if was being done over five episodes but when done over two episodes, it feels like characters suddenly changing course and personality. In one cases, it was just funny
Chris becoming a psychopath
due to how mishandled it was. I could see the storylines working if given time and where the characters were coming from but it was too fast, it wasn't the end of a character's path but arbitrary becuase it was so rushed.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:08 am

Watched season 4 of Elementary which had it's usual stuff: mysteries your not meant to work out becuase they don't give you the information, a good duo with Watson and Sherlock with good support characters like Marcus, good dynamics. Added more family members of our duo which worked well in one case and needs more screen time in another
Sherlock's father for the former, Watson's sister for the second
, went with strong disability themes midway through then kind of dropped it and misfired on one villain
I liked Fiona (Betty Gilpin) but there was one villain that came across as mentally ill but which the show kept going "PURE EVIL"
though also went with other themes like PTSD. A strong ending villain and a good finale but there was one villain during the season that was so good, I hope they bring the figure back at some point
Vikner (Tony Curran) was a charasmatic presence, did indicate they are having to work around not getting Natalie Dormer which is a big pity. Loved when Sarah Cetrulo's character exposed, the after-math was so intresting and she was such a worrying figure.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Ayame » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:08 pm

Watching the rest of Doctor Who season 9.
Ayame
Academic

Unread postby ky9ersfan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:45 pm

Love Game of Thrones, I liked Jon Snow, ever since his time with the Wildlings. Only two episodes left to go!

Anybody else got the feeling Daenarys's dragons are about to torch the Sons of the Harpy's fleet? That was stupid, attacking the mother of dragons by water.

I am also interested, to see how the battle of the basterds plays out. It would be awesome, if Littlefinger used Snow to draw out Ramsey in the field. And then uses the Knights of the Vale to be rid of a potential future enemy. He lets Snow take all the damage, diminish the Wildling army, and then shows up at the last minute, to win glory.

I see Little Finger as a master schemer, taking carefully calculated moves, slowly moving from being a political figure, to becoming Lord of his own castle. I wouldn't be surprised at all, if tragedy somehow "accidentally" befell the Eerrie Heir Robin. This would then leave Little Finger the new heir, as remaining kin, as the stepfather. Thus becoming new Lord of The Knights of the Vale.

Dong edit: Bear in mind some won't have HBO/Sky Atlantic or are catching up on the show.
ky9ersfan
Student

Unread postby Kayzr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:43 pm

Babylon 5.
Let us begin with Zeus, whom we mortals never leave unspoken.
For every street, every market-place is full of Zeus.
Even the sea and the harbour are full of this deity.
Everywhere everyone is indebted to Zeus.
For we are indeed his offspring.
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:28 pm

Watched first season of Pretty Little Liars based on the novels of Sara Shepard. Premise: Popular girl Alison (Sasha Pieterse) vanishes during a sleepover one night and her group breaks up. A year later Aria (Lucy Hale) returns from Iceland and meets old friends, athlete Emily (Shay Mitchell), driven Spencer (Troian Bellisario) and popular Hannah (Ashley Benson) but they soon find themselves blackmailed by a mysterious A....

Has awesome title sequence with the The Pierces "Secret" a perfect accompaniment, it is catchy, looks good and it suits the show down to the ground.

Went into thinking it would be a teen friendly version of Desperate Housewives but that wasn't right. It does have humour but that is the less central point, here is is very much the mystery. Early on there is a sense of one too many red herrings thrown in and it seemed to realize that, the show better paced it's mystery and it became a good one. Carefully revealing enough of a hand to further strengthen the mystery, that sort of thing.

They do good work ageing up or down characters, bar Tammin Sursok's Jenna, as required through clothing and make up. The four girls are mainly likeable, have their flaws and show does decent enough job knowing when their characters have done wrong, the mistakes characters make feel like young adults errors more then TV errors. The romances are usually pretty good when they happen and the boyfriends characters are fleshed out but there are problems, 1) one boyfriend gets retconned early
Sean (Chuck Hittinger)
, 2) one pairing weakens a previously good male character
Toby (Keegan Allen)
, 3) boyfriends could be integrated into their lives, well developed but as soon as they are dumped, they vanish.

The parents had intresting and different bonds with their teenage daughters, two sets were kept in regularly once established, Spencer's never really become a big part of it but that was balanced out by an intresting relationship within family aka her unhappy relationship with sister Melissa (Torrey DeVitto), one other.... The last one has parents that get gradually built up to for a more and sensitive storyline
Emma and her parents struggle with her sexuality
that is very well done on both sides. Then drops the parents to a really side role so when it declares where there relationship now is, it feels like a declaration rather then one shown.

Though I enjoy it, taking a few weeks break before doing season 2.

=====

Watched Gotham: Wrath of the Villians aka second part of season 2. Doing a time-jump a few episodes in was a bit weird, good season villian
Dr Strange, very good by himself with his intelligence and curiosity but bettered by the partnership with Miss Peabody
and developing some of it's longer running villains further. Was very much it's usual fare, questionable logic, running way too quickly with some storylines but amusing and fun characters. Slightly hampered at one point as the funnier characters were sidlelined or out of action for a time. Finale was a bit flat with one hilaroius awful awful scene
Dear lord the finale moment where it realized Gordon and Bruce had no idea about the Court of Owls so decide to fix it by having Strange hit to Gordon in amazingly stupid fashion.

-I liked the failed experiments by Fries, puzzled that they killed off Nora given she is a huge part of the Freeze story, Nora was a likeable tragic presence in the all too brief time we got with her. Dr Freeze's costume works bar the bleached hair

-I liked Jeri, had a Joker feel

-Bruce vs Matches an excellent scene, Matches really dominated and was an intresting character. Bruce wasn't too bad this time (though I fear what is going to happen with the Bruce doppleganger) partly again the Alfred and Selina relations make him more likeable

-Enjoyed Riddler's games and his plots, he was a very good character as he used his wits and mind to manipulate people

-Paul Reubens was delightful as Penguin's dad with moments like the suit tailoring. I enjoyed the family with Melinda Clarke as the matriarch but felt their deaths could have made an episode in themselves rather then "oh by the way, the children are dead and now she dies". Was sad seeing Penguin sane and as glad when he returned to his old self

-Barbara was fun, loved the panic she induced in the men in her life when she returned. Also enjoyed Tabiatha and Butch brief moments

-Azarael was intresting when with Strange, less so when outside but his death was very amusing.

-Clayface was wasted by Gordan impression being so blatantly fake it was embarrassing that the cops didn't get it

-I liked Firefly adopting Selena as her acolyte

-Yay Fish Mooney!

-I hope Bullock isn't police captain now, leaves questions about how Gordon becomes police captain and right now Gordon needs Barnes in his life to give him on the straight and narrow.

=====

Watched second and final season of Stargate Universe and it started really badly. Decided to go mystic and it didn't work while characters felt off, relations weren't clicking, it was like a different crew and a different style. Once it centred itself back on something more realistic, it found it's feet. Had some clever ideas
the way they used the drones, the future selves and AI
, good plots between characters, nice romances, it was a good series that was well made.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Watched Power Monkey's, sequel to Ballot Monkey's. This time about the EU referendum with a few episodes rather then one after the result and a more international bent. The four groups: Brexit camapign bus, Tory unity group, Trump's camapign plane, Putin's aides who concentrate on foreign press.

Overall it is more consistently funny then ballot monkeys bar the Tory unity unit but it isn't a great comedy, it lacks something to say until one strand at the end
trump's plane through Bea on two fronts, 1) the comment about end of professional presidents and start of celebrity Presidents and 2) her speech at the end before she realizes what she has done
, all four strands finish really strongly. Cast do a good job generally but some of the characters it feels like Andy Hamilton and Andy Jenkin don't know what to do with (example Corbynite Jackie).

There is also blatant bias in Trump and Brexit camps, at least in the first half. The character of Spencer sums it up, till the day before Brexit is an old, UKIPPY, non PC, establishment conspiracy, damn health and safety joke. It is only latter he becomes a more well rounded character and an intresting one, he gives a beautiful speech at one point, and show realizes need to show him as a man with reason to back Brexit bar the crazy.

On the strands:

Brexit bus: Welcomes back Gerry (Andy Nyman) leading a group of ambitious Tory woman (and in no way Patel :wink: ) Preeya (Archie Panjabi), Spencer (Kevin McNally) and young Corbnyite Jackie (Gwyneth Keyworth).

Spencer was a really amusing character with his insults, his rants, his blow against establishment/PC/health and safety, also benefited by having Gerry wearily trying to get him under control. Yet it got better once Gerry and Spencer's personal lives came into it and Spencer got a bit more balanced, it was human moments, it showed some reasons (though not enough) people turned to Brexit, it also allowed Jackie (who had been "look at crazy things the young say like abolish everything" rather then anything with punch) to become a human figure with her youth providing something different and a good trio. Preeya on the other hand, some somewhat amusing things about her ambition and playing the odds but they never ever made anything with her.

Tory Unity: Ruby (Liz Kingsman) returns as the incompetent assistant, group run by Tony (Anthony Calf) with conflict expert Sara (Claire Skinner) and the bitter Oliver (Jack Dee)

One can see the idea behind this but beyond Tony's bumbling management, it didn't exploit it and just tended to be Jack Dee being his comedy persona with unfunny rants and Sara getting annoyed with both. Used Ruby well near the end but only late on and was generally unfunny. Great ending that was funnier then everything else this section produced combined.

Trump plane: Celebrity Bea (Ayda Field) brings in woman strategist Lauren (Amelia Bullmore) while their assistant is working class Brett (Robert Wilfort)

Field and Bullmore make a good pairing as intelligent women left to cope with the latest Trump issue and his trouble with women while Bea knows what will work for Trump. Brett could have been a counterbalance as the kind of person who feels let down by the system and inspired by Trump, instead he is a complete loser and a pathetic figure.

Putin: Oleg (Ben Willbond) is an experienced hand and welcomes in Alec (Alec Utgoff) as they walk Putin's dog and try to handle foreign matters.

Some great Euro related jokes, the jokes about British events are amusing enough as are the jokes about Putin's hunting and image. Insightful? No but amusing, the cast has a good bond and there is a good long running storyline over the six episodes that pays off at the end.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby ky9ersfan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:44 am

Randomly rewatching 2003 Twilight Zone episodes over on Youtube. I am digging this show, reminds me of the Outer Limits, a show I loved back in the late 90's/early 2000's.
ky9ersfan
Student

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub