Favorite Television Shows

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Favorite Television Shows

Unread postby Iain » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
Decided to stop watching Big Bang Theory part way through series 10. It wasn't bad or anything, it still had a bit of humour, characters I remember fondly but it just been lacking something to keep me intrested.

That's a show I never really found funny, despite all my sci-fi friends enjoying it, I could never get into it.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Tried Star Trek: the Animated Series. Animation is... cheap, feels like they had set bodies with a few tweaks like the hair and the failure to colour the pupils just seemed odd and it doesn't help the voice erratic which is a touch erratic. In the two episodes I watched, there was a good idea behind the episodes and there were some good passages but also plenty of drifiting ones, I did wonder if being down to half hour was hindering the writing.

Caught up with the US version of House of Cards, product placement can still be hilarious. I love the politics in it, rage stump speeches, the big speeches, the schemes and battles but I also enjoy many of the personal stuff like between the Underwoods or some of the great rivals made for Francis (who are built up well). Where the show sometimes seems to have problems is not ruthlessly cutting the cast as some characters seem to linger on long after impact while the conspiracy and some of the Stamper stories are not up to the rest of the show.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Quiet Pretty Little Liars. It started season 2 hampered by it's mystery dragging, it came a bit too obsessed with dancing around without moving and it was the personal stuff of the four characters, the humour, the families that kept it going. It did get the mystery moving and that was fun and remembered that dropping it for an episode wasn't a bad move as it allowed other stuff to breathe. It is better then some of the other stuff I watch but it was the show that, while I would really enjoy the episode, I kept prevaricating on starting an episode for some unknown reason.

Watched first season of Community after persuading my sister we should give it a try. First two episodes where shaky, John Oliver's teacher was annoying, it concentrated too much on JeffxBritta as the route into the show but we saw something in little sketch moments
example
Pearce and Jeff's presentation to Spanish class
that left us giving it more tries. Third episode it clicked and took off, Chang an amusing teacher, fun romances, stepping back the main two so all of the group had a chance to shine and flesh out, enjoyed the humour and the fun escapes of the group including willingness to embrace the silliness.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:43 pm

Watched first half of season 7 of The Walking Dead. The impression I get is it was divided and those I talk episode to episode about would be divided about each episode. People were also divided about the main baddie episode per episode though the actor's performance was properly, he was not the most intellectually intresting villain ever but I did enjoy him when used properly
Jeffrey Dean Morgan gave a charismatic display, Negan was at best when everything he does has a purpose. The threat, the jokes, the violence all a careful move from a clever bully is when he has force but when the show just lets the character run rampant like the first episode, he grows tiresome very quickly.

On individual episodes, I found the finale a bit flat for some reason
also hated the ending
and really disliked the opener
major spoilers
using Abarham's death to hide they would kill Glen was very well done and the ending phase was very good, concentrated terror. Too much of it was Negan ranting and rambling, stupid little journey's with Rick and rambling Negan, it killed the atmosphere completely.
. I liked the majority of the episodes inbetween, character based, exploring the world, the new characters are more intresting then the old guard though. Overall though it leads to characters vanishing for episodes at a time, a lack of pace or build up as the show drifts along to the next location but I still enjoyed the show.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:39 pm

Been a busy week so can finally write about HBO's Westworld, their adaption of a film I found full of intresting ideas and well done without drawing me in. Going into this, knew HBO had spent a lot of money, HBO have a strong track record and gathered a strong cast with some big names but one does worry, would this be an adaptation that follows the film's exploration of humanity or go for cheap thrills? Would it try to copy the film storyline too much?

Thankfully it was the first, very much doing their own version, their own themes on the ugliness of humanity+AI. Concentrates rather less on the guests with the hosts+technical team very much to the fore and focuses on one park, it is a thoughtful show which leaves people with something to think about with a good many things. Dialogue very strong with some great monologues, cast do an excellent job, effective action with oomph, romances have charm, there is humour from figures like Hector (Rodrigo Santoro) and Elsie (Shannon Woodward), characters make an impact, good long term storylines. The one thing the show struggled with was long term twists, people had a habit of guessing them correctly but even within that, too many times (GOT for example means a lot of people have read the book so knew what was coming yet still made moments shattering) the twist moment falls flat more then it hits. Very much look forward to seeing how events play out in series 2.

Well worth watching! Highly recommend!
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Tried BBC America/Netflix's version of Dirk Gently with Samuel Barnett as the lead and Elijah Wood as the reluctant friend, wasn't a fan of the BBC UK version and... not a fan here after an episode and a half. It is different from UK version, it clearly has a long term season plan rather then a few one off episodes, by episode 1 it had about 7 strands going on, the cosmic side of things is really felt.

First episode there was some great hilarious moments amidst a pile of flatness, second episode was just flatness. It has a lot of things that on paper should work yet somehow doesn't, cast fail to rise to the occasion. One can see the clever work Max Landis has done for the humour, for a surreall atmosphere but it doesn't transfer onto the screen. I might flick through for the cosmic assassin (Fiona Dourif) and her reluctant assistant (Mpho Koaho) but even that wasn't clicking.

=====

Finished second season of Scream Queens where Munsch (Jamie Lee Curtis) buys hospital and brings back some of her former student to work there. It also has a serial killer "The Green Meanie." While I was pleased to see the old guard, I was surprised they went that route rather then American Horror story route and the attempts by the writers to justify the characters working there didn't work. Even worse they did a complete rewrite of one character's personality
Hester (Lea Michele)
that ruined the character and hampered the show.

It started slowly at least partly due to that struggle to explain convincingly the new situation, it did have some good kills but humour wasn't clicking as much as it needed to. Then one character turned up
Chad Radwell (Glen Powell)
and seemed to lift everything, humour began to fly, things began to knit together. Overall the show was nice and fun, some decent kills, humour from Channel 1 (Emma Roberts) and 5 (Abigail Breslin who played the Gerry of Parks and Recs role of the series), Munsch and Dr Holt (John Stamos), some fun scenario's. Yet after a underwhelming finale, I can't say I'm fussed about a third season.

The second season, bar Dr Holt, never really managed to build up the new characters to really match up with the old guard, some of the casting didn't work and as for the baddies... in the first season it carefully built up the mystery (after initially overdoing it) and when revealed, the baddies made sense. Then were built even more as a group with you knowing they were baddies. This time the mystery is not well done, the reveal lacks oomph
one of the baddies is a person who turns up in that episode and then is revealed to the baddie at the end of said episode
and the baddies are not built up well after that. It means one of the best parts of the first season is really lacking with nothing to fill that void.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:48 pm

Watched the third of the Nextflix superheroes Luke Cage. Premise: Luke Cage (Mike Colter) returns to Harlem, staying with his father-in-law Pops (Frankie Faison) at the hairdressers. Cage wants to keep his powers (strength and unbreakable skin) hidden but events in Harlem may leave him no choice....

Luke Cage was introduced in Jessica Jones but the show makers seem well aware people might watch one of the four shows they plan so those who have seen the other show will certainly benefit from nods/cameo's, the wider world building it takes part in but it is made so that if this is the one show, your not going to be confused or left out. In terms of the films, it only has one aspect of Avengers 1
the invasion
and ignores the rest. As one would expect from the Marvel/Netflix team up, it is less family friendly then Supergirl, a sense of humour, very good dialogue, nods to the comics, well done villains. Action is less of thing here partly due to nature of Luke Cage, means very few big fights though they are well done.

So what does Luke Cage offer that is different then it's friends? This is Luke Cage's origin story, he is a lighter personality then Daredevil and Jessica Jones with a bit of cheese, the public know about the conflict in this season and react to it, music is very much at the heart of this show (and what wonderful music), it has the best and healthiest romance so far. Knowing Luke Cage is the non-white of the four and set in Harlem , they have seen this as a platform for non-white talent, helmed by Cheo Hodari Coker and a chance to offer a perspective+culture different from the other shows. It doesn't have a big Wire/Jessica Jones like lesson but more inserts little things in episodes that build up into theme of stuff that matters while Harlem itself is a big part of the show. Does well with the challenge of Luke Cage being near indestructible, managing to give that sense of power while providing a challenge for him.

How does it compare? It lacks a Kingpin or the horror of Jessica Jones to match their first season greatness, in truth the villains they chose are ok but the side villains are far more intresting, but it is a highly enjoyable show with romance, music, humour, a likeable lead. Look forward to season 2.

-Yay Claire Temple, always made an impact in her short roles in the other series, she has a good chemistry with Luke Cage and they make a fine romance.

-Misty needs to keep her head, she treats her boss very badly and glad she got called out on it at the end when Misty screwed up again. Otherwise she is a good character, her visualization is used well, links up well with others. Detective Scarfe provided her a good partner, pity he was dirty. Enjoyed the therapy episode and she provided a good defence of cops

-Enjoyed nods like use of catchphrase (with eye rolling from others) and teasing about the old suit. Luke Cage was such a nice, easy guy to like.

-It had a good but not great selection of baddies. Cornell was well written with a good backstory episode and was a surprise when he died but he lacked real threat after early episodes, Shades managed to pull off the Shades shtick well and linked up with others particularly councilwoman Maria who became an increasing force of personality, great ball of anger when she killed her cousin. Hopefully Shades and Mariah will be the baddies next time as they really land their moments and make good allies. Both also make for great police interrogation scenes. Diamondback perhaps wasn't the Kingpin they hoped but I liked the biblical side of him and the basic backstory though way Luke Cage realizes the truth was poorly done and he does not seem to have clicked for most.

-Origin Story very well with Reeva (good chemistry there), the warden and enjoyed the doctor, wwas delighted when he turned up and the acid thing was enjoyable.

-I miss Pop

-Judas bullets were a good idea, loved the way that was connected to Avengers and the battle within politics/police over the idea of using them

-The PR battle over Cage was well done

-For a show that tackled issues of racism, tensions with police, Black Lives Matter with subtlety, episode 12 with the Method Man was awful

-Good twist at the end that the FBI arrest Luke Cage
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Ayame » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:14 am

I'm so behind on shows due no internet. So now I'm re-watching Star Trek- Voyager and Star Trek- Deep Space Nine .
Ayame
Academic

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:00 am

Ayame wrote:I'm so behind on shows due no internet. So now I'm re-watching Star Trek- Voyager and Star Trek- Deep Space Nine .

I never finished DS9, although I liked Voyager - they played a bit fast and loose sometimes, but it has some good philosophical episodes, which are always my favorite Star Trek stories.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Anyone been watching the latest season of Sherlock?! It's been amazing in my opinion! For me it was the best season of Sherlock and possibly the best season of any show I've ever watched.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub