Favorite Television Shows

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Favorite Television Shows

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Anyone been watching the latest season of Sherlock?! It's been amazing in my opinion! For me it was the best season of Sherlock and possibly the best season of any show I've ever watched.

Yes. Seems quite a divisive show and losing fans. I still enjoy it but not their best season and plenty of flaws

Personally? First episode was really really awesome, it was fun, good character stuff... and then the main story started, gradually dragging the show down. Second episode? My sister loved it, I admired the idea but was constantly pulled out by little stuff that as wrong, the baddie didn't click for me. Final episode? My sister didn't like it, I loved it, found it nice and tense with an intresting baddie but we both disliked the ending.

I think the show doing three episodes every few years doesn't help, it feels the pressure to be spectacular every time. Moffat and Gattis does seem reluctant to let go of a cast member when they should do so which again may partly be the infrequent nature of the show. The two of them also not particularly good ending writers.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Saw the half-season of season 2 of Lucifer, now with scientist Ella Lopez (Aimee Garcia) and Lucifer's mother (Tricia Helfer). The show has worked on it's problems, cast more consistent, less "crude" from Lucifer, keeps the humour and generally the cast balance. Of the new, Lopez at the moment is a nice enough figure but not sure would miss after if she was cut at the moment, the mother is a lot of fun with Helfer seemingly enjoying herself, good long running themes
family, the therapist
and look forward to watching the next half.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:04 pm

Supergirl:

Moved channel from CBS to The CW, less budget and moved from LA to Vancouver, the smaller budget doesn't make a particularly notable aspect in terms of visual quality though National City does look somewhat different. Lost Cat due to location move (her goodbye was well done) which did leave a hole, her humour took awhile not to miss but did allow other characters to progress. Generally they shifted well to allow characters to progress like new jobs at start of season well or alter things that didn't work first season but one bit was clumsy
killing the JamesyxKara thing rather quickly. If they felt it wasn't working and arguably wasn't, they were right to do it but might have been better for a few episodes

Brought in Superman early which I think they had to do early on to deal with the issue, Tyler Hoechlin did a good job and had easy bond with Supergirl, one can see the similarities between the two in their optimism and nature, didn't overshadow his cousin while suitably powerful, has the loveable slightly stumbling Clark Kent down too. If there was a Superman show, he would be a strong lead but they managed to keep this as very much Supergirl with a good Superman as sometime part of it.

Most of what Supergirl got right in the past works here. Melissa Benoist is a charismatic amusing lead, the likes of Alex, Hank and co have a good bond, the show has heart, lots of humour, good action, good adventures. The new figures like Mon-El, Maggie, Lena Luthor (though she feels a tad on outside) were done well, fitted into the bond and story. Romances were a bit mixed, they cast well and there is real chemistry but the main one
Alex-Maggie
was a great idea, well cast a they spark off each other but felt so clumsily written.

I felt the big villain was a nice idea about really underused as a theme and lacked oomph
Cadmus with the humans vs aliens, the xenophobia, it touched upon it constantly but never built into a strong narrative
, villains tended to be lacking yet again, finale was a nice normal episode rather then finale type feel. There was one story strand which seems to have been universally agreed as hated
James being the guardian
that should just be dropped.

I felt the show's writing could be clumsy at times. One romance they tried so hard one, the big "issue" episodes felt so heavy handed that it was clunky, Kara didn't inspire hope this half-season and while the idea of "she can be guilty of this too", I never felt they pushed that sufficiently that it became her learning from it. Others didn't feel this and it was good at this in season 1 so maybe just me.

-Winn to DOE was a good idea as allowed them to have a tech guy and with Catco less key this time, also allowed him to build relations with Alex and Hank

-Kara to reporter wasn't a bad idea and has uses but not really been build on. Snapper Carr was fine as the boss in rare appearances and he tended to be right as stroppy as Kara always got when he pointed out things like being objective and sources are needed

-James as boss didn't really go anywhere and his being guardian tended to drag show done, felt like desperate need to be important rather then a hero, someone who needs a slap. Also rushed. Would be best if he goes by season 3.

-Alex being jealous of way Supergirl clicked with Superman was good. Her chemistry with Maggie was good, just hope writing improves. It seems a popular storyline but I just found the dialogue teenage clumsy

-Mon-El was charming and they had fun with his more... playboy style compared to Kara and her struggle to cope with that. His interning, misinterpreting phrases was fun, the push to make him a hero with rallying speeches from others was clumsy.

-Episode "Welcome to Earth" highly clumsy and message on being pro immigrant. Nice nod making Lynda Carter President, Kara's excitement was sweet but the show never quite addressed Kara's own xenophobia treatment of her Draxam arrival. The alien detector by Lcorp is a good idea but not fully pushed out. Just felt writing didn't explore some aspects enough while being as subtle as a hammer to the vulnerable parts at other times

-Enjoyed M'gann M'orzz, the alien bar was a nice setting and she did click with Hank, helping flesh him out. White Martian twist good

-Dichen Lachman did her best and give Roulette some flair with the writers not giving her much help. Parasite was pretty creepy, cyber Superman (name makes no sense in show context) has potential

-The Darkest Place with Kara and co in a cell worked well bar the guardian stuff

======

If Supergirl was enjoyable but a tad disappointing, the Flash tightened up. It made some big calls early on
Flashpoint only being an episode, maybe should have been two but no longer then that
and it paid off, partly becuase the show was very good at impact of decision made. Shows can be guilty of ignoring ramifications or making a big deal in one episode about it. This show had ramifications slowly seeping out, taking a weekly toll on people.

It opened strongly with a good first episode and continued on well. Only a few new figures with mixed reaction to them, the seasonal villains are good when on screen or concentrated on for an episode but don't have the "colouring everything" that first season baddie did while some good episodic villains, romance had chemistry this season. Juggled the character list well so people got their share of time, nice surprises, felt decisions had impact and consequences down the line, the group had a good camaraderie and it was fun.

-Flashpoint was full of nice touches like phones being different, being with his mother and it allowed the cast to play things differently. Cisco a tad annoying but Iris and Wally had fun, Reverse Flash was very effective, the Rival was a good one off villain

-Good that Barry was not the injured innocent over Flashpoint, the show happy to point out how selfish he was

-Jay Garrik was good in his small cameo appearances and his finale mentor appearance.

-Catlin giving frost powers was a good twist when she seemed so little affected by flashpoint and then drip feeding more and more details of her struggles. The mother relationship was well done in the one episode while Danielle Panabaker playing it straighter her earth 2 version has helped the character have more impact. I like the wristbands but way Cisco revealed the secret felt a little cheap

-Julian Albert was a welcome addition with everyone tending to be close quite quickly to Barry, Julian's hostility and slowly warming was good. Dr Alchemy was a good villain idea and Tobin Bell did good voicework, costume just about worked, Magenta had a nice storyline. I liked the idea of Mirror MasterxTop but execution was only alright. Savatar gets a few good setpeices including possession but he needs building up

-Iris first date being carcrash for reasons they gave was a nice idea as was the awkwardness around the West household around it. Good to see Joe getting date but she needs a bit more screen time, Wally's frustration was a little clumsily handled and the rest of the family were a tad seflish there

-Jesse Quick and Wally have good chemistry and hope they build on that, enjoyed her return and how excited she was at powers and how it upset Wally. I want more Jesse, she is fun!

-The search for new Wells was fun, the guy they picked is a little annoying though and his abilities range from cleverly done to not very subtle.

-Can't believe that got Mark Hammil to turn up for such a short, though fun, scene

-They need to consider doing a season where the big bad isn't a speedster

-Interesting to see how they play the future vision over the season

=====

Arrow: Came into 5th season needing a revamp as, though show was sill fun, it was beginning to tire however the show had always intended to change things round at this point apparently. Successfully? Yes and no. Yes in that it no longer feels tired, it has freshened up. The old guard like Ollie, John and co have benefited from new roles
Oliver being mayor, particularly Thea being assistant has really helped her
, it has given new angles and gives the storylines a chance to go somewhere different.

The no in that the flashbacks are still there and though good, it feels more like they are good becuase of the actors involved
David Nykl as Antoly and later Dolph Lundgren’s Konstantin Kovar
lifting it and a few good setplays rather then "the flashbacks are a really good idea". No in that a lot of new members of team arrow who are well cast, got good costumes and so on but are still way off being fully fleshed out. Part of the problem is most of the old guard are still there so they get screen time, they get the big stuff each episode, leaving limited room to flourish. One of the team
Curtis (Echo Kellum)
feels like "Felicity mark 2" which makes the new person feel redundant, not helped by being less funny then Felicity. One of the new guys is nearly there
Wild Dog (Rick Gonzalez)
but the rest still need so much work to be up there with the John's and Felicity's, having one big episode each (if that) once per half season is not enough.

The season villains are good when on screen but out of sight out of mind, action as ever is very well done, good costumes, got a sense of humour including against itself. It does feel like the show has been refreshed while keeping a lot of what works but it needs to find ways of bringing in the new members so they feel as important as the old.

-The betrayal by a character who hasn't been built up, not the best twist ever

-Thought Quentin Lance's struggle with the bottle was reasonably well done, his concern at being the baddie was fun and he bounced well off Thea

-Thea benefited from being mayoral assistant, gave her a fresher and sometimes lighter role, a chance for quips, battle of minds

-Tobias was one of those thug like villains who can work well on screen and Chad L. Coleman certainly played him well but is not one that dominates the season. Good torture scene of Wilddog and his death with his clear fear that he was going to die was well done. Prometheus shows real moments of promise like the excellent finale setpeice but is yet to be a real presence overall, I like his connections to season 1. Vigilante has potential as the anti-arrow

-I liked the idea of Ragman's backstory but don't really care in practise, partly becuase it got solved by one big speech.

-The brutal training and unhappiness between new guys and Arrow was fun, good reaction from the group at discovering Oliver used to be a killer.

-Derek Sampson was a decent one off villain, using the wrestling power well,

-Diggle imagining Deadshot was a fun storyline and he links well with Wild Dog

-I like Susan Williams but wonder where this will be heading

-The one thing that Curtis clicked in was the strain his superhero stuff was putting on his romantic relationship with his husband, wish there had been more

-Was intresting seeing Human Target in his novel role and made me pine for the show. The fake assassination was pretty good even though we knew Oliver couldn't die

-Why would I remotely care that Artemis joined team evil? She had next to no character time

-Finale flashback was really good

-Can't say I rooted for Billy/Felicity but the death was powerful, more becuase of the impact it would have on Oliver, Felicity and others

-Laurel? That will be intresting story but it does risk going into ridiculous.

=====

Legends of Tomorrow suffers an element of second season syndrome. It's strengths had included the group's infighting and tension but like Farscape, that only lasts one season but also leads to losing something special. The characters sheer excitement at going time-travelling is in there rather less and it is no coincidence some of the best episodes are the ones where the group is excited about the time period. It is also far less good at rotating the group so certain groupings do form, some working better then others
Ray and Steel is better then Mick and Vixen
but even with the ones that work, I wish they would shake up the groupings each episode.

This is a show that is designed to rotate cast so four out from season 1
Captain Cold unsurprisingly, the Hawks Captain Hunter
, two of whom they did need to lose but those leaving allows others to grow. In came two figures: historian Nate Heywood (Nick Zano) and Vixen (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) (not the same Vixen as arrowverse as Megalyn Echikunwoke was already scheduled but they do a clean job explaining that) with mixed results and even with two less characters, Jax still sidelined. Heywood fits right in, the character has charm, his skills are useful, he bounces off some really well, he gets excited at some of the trips. Vixen on the other hand, they fail to sell her powers properly (animal flashes up, no real visible impact with what happens next), I don't disagree with the idea of her character
someone who disapproves of the shambolic and less then clean ways of the group
as could be fun but what we get is stiff. They also pair her with one character nearly every mission and that serves neither character at all well, they lack a good chemistry.

One key character from season 1
Mick
is mishandled, they struggle at times to prevent said character from being on the outside, they sometimes go for simplistic handling
mindless thug
which ill-serves the character, bad partnering. When they concentrate on the character properly, one of the best figures in the show.

This sounds like a show gone bad but it wasn't, first episode is fun and while next few are a little disappointing compared to the best of first season, the season was generally consistently good vs the more erratic first season. Characters like Sarah Lance, Mick, Professor Stein, Ray and Heywood are an intresting bunch, there is humour, when they do a "characters excited episode", it really sings. The baddies are good when on screen but will need to be in the show more when second half of season starts (partly becuase mostly been one off adventures so far), good costumes so it feels like the character would wear that, some fun adventures, some good idea's for season themes.

-Was nice getting Victor Garber to sing, was a pleasure. Also that group in a Nazi bar went as one would expect...

-The opening episode's adventure in France was great fun, well done Sara. Also Salem! Having Heywood, Arrow and Mick being the story tellers provided something different while gathering the group allowed for silly mini adventures (silly in the good way).

-Darhk and Reserve Flash fun when on screen and provided a strong finale (along with Capone), just needs a little more building up. Pleased to have Malcom turn up as well.

-Captain Steel's superhero costume feels fake and needs redoing.

-Justice Society was nice enough, had some fun with disbelief at the Legends group, good costumes but was inevitable only one or two got time. Vixen, Commander Steel whose moments with Nate were excellent (liked Nate's backstory), Obsidian eventually. I wonder if likes of Star Girl will get their time?

-Rip Hunter's death was a surprise but it did help Sarah Lance, allowed her to grow into being the leader after letting Stein struggle. Wasn't a huge surprise Rip is around but not sure I want him back with Sarah leading

-Ray's struggles with what is he without his suit was nice idea, Mick's attempts to help were sweet and worked the right way (aka badly), could have been developed deeper though while Ray and Nick's developing friendship was enjoyable

-The secret message was fun to speculate about

-Jax and Vixen civil war stuff was heavy heavy handed, the rest of the episode was better with Sarah's style (sadly General Grant typical hero) and the zombie Mick (plus Stein's fear)

-Group getting to play Samurai (romance was flat though) and cowboy is the sort of episode they have real fun with as the characters get giddy

-I do love Stein meeting his younger self, getting frustrated and desperately trying to ensure his future wife stays married, the dance scene was sweet. That small moments there led to major changes was a good surprise and nicely dummied us to make us think "oh flash" rather then realize it was Stein's error. I wish the wife of now would turn up at some point but like what we have seen of the daughter. Would quite like an episode with him, Jax and Sara with his family

-Snart plaguing Mick's mind could be intresting

====

Crossover: Combining four sets into 3 episodes, they wisely decided to concentrate on each team in their own episode. So Flash crossover introduced the groups together and used all 4 but concentrated on those characters Flash fans would know. Arrow (being it's 100th episode) centred right on arrow figures, Legends of Tomorrow used all but again concentrated the attention on that group while ensuring Supergirl got enough attention. Villains looked like ones one has seen plenty of times before in certain types of shows but decently used, nice theme that fitted two of the shows really well.

I thought the Flash episode was the best of the three, gathering the group together and letting the fun unfold as they got to know each other, had good action. The arrow one was a really really good idea that just didn't quite click. Legends of Tomorrow one was the finale and felt like it suffered from trying to be the epic adventure climax, that it tried a bit too hard.

-MickxSupergirl 4eva

-Good that Fleshpoint's changing of Diggle's child came up and the fury of LoT was good if way too short. Generally forgiveness for Barry including Cisco way too easy

-Flash being such an inferior leader to Arrow was funny

-Enjoyed Supergirl showing her powers and training. Plus the x-ray vision gag

-Was nice that it was Caitlin Professor Stein took with him and was nice to meet the daughter. I hope they aren't dropping present day wife but the daughter seems nice

-Fun Flash vs Supergirl race

-I liked that it wasn't just the Arrow dreaming of what might have been but all those involved in his city and was good to see some old faces again, flt the action was lacking and that Deathstroke was clearly not Manu Bennett.

-I did like the Dominator's motive in final episode
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:26 pm

Finally caught up with Once Upon A Time aka season 6 part 1. Felt the worst since season 1 for me, started slowly and too many episodes for me where I was not drawn in. The adventures tended not to click in first half and though there was a lot of good stuff, it was never quite the sum of it's parts. The basic ideas for the season are good
Saviours are cursed to die, Regina's split personality
but it was soon after last season so any threat is gone and that sums up the season, nice idea but... Does get better in second half and has a good finale but I'm hoping it ups it's game in season six part 2.

The season villains
Hyde and evil Queen
are fun but it lacks a bit of threat themselves though there is some really good stuff, Henry at times seems to be unaware of everything that has gone on around him and gets outraged in stupid ways, too many of the adventures in first half don't excite. The guest stars
Aladdin (Deniz Akdeniz) and Jasmine (Karen David)
are fun, have strong chemistry, good adventures, allows for a lot of humour but are very much to the side of things. They bring in some neglected characters like Cricket which is nice but at moment seem a little unsure what to do with Zelena, humour is still there, the Belle storyline is really good and allows her to grow as a character who had got trapped into "she forgives Rumple, now betrayed and hurt, now forgives" circle, allows her to break out and do something different.

-Ah good old Evil Queen flirting

-Snow and Charming's life share isn't a bad idea

-I liked the Cinderella episode up till the ending and the evil sister actually being good

-The episode where we find the true nature of Jekyll and Hyde was a great twist
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Watched BBC's/Sarah Phelps adaptation of Agatha Christie short story into two parter Witness for the Prosecution . Premise: In 1920's London, socialite Emily French (Kim Cattrall) is found bludgeoned to death, suspicion quickly turns on young lover Leonard (Billy Howle) with lawyer John Mayhew (Toby Jones) seeking a way to save his client.

As one would expect from a BBC Christmas adaptation, the production values are top notch while they get smog filled 20's London right. They do use it for atmosphere but they don't overdo and they make the smog part of the people's ordinary lives. Phelps had a done a superb job with "Then there were None" and like then, they mix up the cast between experienced figures like Cattrall, Andrea Riseborough as Leonard's other girlfriend and the superb Jones with lesser known figures like Howle,
Monica Dolan as the maid or Hayley Carmichael who plays the wife of John. Cast do a very good job but the real star is Toby Jones who seems born for this kind of role, is a very good character actor but one of the best of his performances I have seen.

Doing lesser known of her books does seem to help, no longer trapped by the image of Poriot, being able to come at things with a fresh angle. This isn't so much a detective work, this is a lawyer interviewing figures and trying to build a case, the trials are very well done, strong dialogue to go with the performances, some well done twists, a good musical refrain and they very wisely remember to have a sense of humour. David Haig not only has lawyerly eloquence as Sir Charles Carter but his skilled comic acting provides light relief and a chuckle when needed. Where the production excels is two things: 1) Sadness, very human and painful sadness. The desperation of the ageing Emily, the painful home lives
they reveal their hand too early with the Mayhew's grief but still painfully excellent done
. 2) It shines a mirror on human nature,it knows the way viewers are thinking during such legal/murder drama's and that we are not so innocent of the things we might be decrying from the characters.

It isn't perfect, the sex is awful, the pace can feel slow to the point of undermining the enjoyability. There last 20 minutes is hampered by a sense it is trying to fill time between one key section
the end of trial
and the end point. The ending itself, some great scenes but the explanation scene is very clunky.

====

Lucifer season 2 came back after winter break for 3 episodes then back in May. Doing a three part season isn't in itself a bad idea but part 2 being three episodes? That is ridiculous. Again they kept what worked from season 2, amusing, cast balanced, kept the themes. It added a new aspect
Decker and Lucifer's changing relationship
which was well done over the three episodes and had an intresting impact on one character
Decker, uncertain how to handle all this, tries new angels, a bit fragile beneath it all
that I liked seeing but three episodes is way too short for that theme. Finale a case of trying too hard but intresting to see what they do where they are leaving it till May

=====

Not Going Out made a surprising return but after two and a bit episodes, we stopped. Now Lee (Lee Mack) and Lucy (Sally Bretton) have a new place, three children and it is attempting to do something new with the show. However each set up seems slow, the kids do not work for comedy and the main two's relationship and humorous sparks just aren't quite there anymore, the jokes aren't quite as good as they need to be. When the grandparents or friends turn up, then the show really lifts off and is a lot of fun.

=====

Seen first season of CW's adaptation of zombie comic book iZombie . Premise: Seattle medical resident Olivia "Liv" Moore (Rose McIver) is at a party that goes wrong and she ends up waking as a zombie. Changing her life and keeping her condition a secret, she decides to work at the police morgue under Dr. Ravi Chakrabarti (Rahul Kohli) get a supply of brains but discovers she gets flashbacks which she can use to help solve crimes.

A show that doesn't deny it's comic books heritage, it's title sequence is about based around and it opens scenes as if a comic page. A show I had looked forward to trying but one there is more agents of shield "I can do one season at a time as a snack" then going to plough through the second season. I was enjoying it but for some reason, as the first season drew to an end, I felt I was going to need a break, that something a little unsatisfying.

The show does have a sense of fun as the premise allows Liv to alter personality somewhat each episode and McIver is a good lead, I felt the show was at it's best when it concentrated on her personal life. Whether it be building a working relationship with Clive (Malcolm Goodwin), her struggles with who she has become, those she had sort of left behind like her family or her beloved Major (Robert Buckley), her room-mate Peyton (Aly Michalka). When, as well as solving cases, the zombie issue is personal, it is affecting her personal life. When later on it expands to a more wider themes, though the baddies do a decent job, and that figures like Peyton
was frustrated seeing her romance had advanced but we had seen none of it
and the family get sidelined, it becomes less personal.

It does a lot of things right, some neat ideas about how zombies hiding in the world would work, how people would react, the troubles it might cause. A sense of humour and warmth, likeable characters, good romances, the cases go along nicely. Just lacking a bit of something perhaps
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Currently watching Nirvana in Fire with Mrs. WeiWenDi, who recommended it to me.

The story is kind of confusing so far. I'm about three episodes in, and all I know is that it takes place during the Northern and Southern Dynasties; there's a tournament for the hand of a princess who is the ward of the Emperor; two of the princes are using networks of influence, bribery, robbery and murder to vie for the crown; and Mei Changsu is drawing up a plan to avenge his father, who was framed for a crime and then killed along with his entire army, and he's using the two princes to do it.

The acting is pretty good - Hu Ge is unflappable as Mei Changsu (very different character from his version of Guo Jing, though). And the female lead, whose name I'm forgetting right now, is also decent. Fun intrigue plots abound, but again, still somewhat hard to keep track of. The martial arts scenes are very well done, though the cinematography for them is a bit stylistic - lots of slow-motion, zooms and so on.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:36 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:Currently watching Nirvana in Fire with Mrs. WeiWenDi, who recommended it to me.

The story is kind of confusing so far.

The first episode didn't really do it for me, but as the plot unravels I was hooked. This was the closest thing to crack I had seen on screen for a long time.

I think what really did the job here was that the story was in a fictional time period that is sorta parallel-N/S Dynasties. (Like if the Xiaos ended up in a parallel universe.) So the story got to explore a bunch of themes and emotions without being bound by historical accuracy. (It's kinda also why I think Louis Cha's Xiao'ao Jianghu was the best of his works).
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:38 am

Do either of you know if I can I find the show subbed or dubbed in English? :D
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:08 pm

I've been using Viki thus far: the show's been fansubbed. The popup comments are annoying, but you can turn them off. The ads, even more annoying because you can't. It's kind of temperamental, though - the reason I'm only about three episodes in is because my browser didn't want to load Ep 4 last time I tried it.

Lady Wu wrote:The first episode didn't really do it for me, but as the plot unravels I was hooked. This was the closest thing to crack I had seen on screen for a long time.

I think what really did the job here was that the story was in a fictional time period that is sorta parallel-N/S Dynasties. (Like if the Xiaos ended up in a parallel universe.) So the story got to explore a bunch of themes and emotions without being bound by historical accuracy. (It's kinda also why I think Louis Cha's Xiao'ao Jianghu was the best of his works).

Good to hear, Lady Wu! I'll definitely have to keep it up, then.

I agree with you about The Smiling, Proud Wanderer: it's not my favourite of his books, but it's certainly one of the best-written. Lots of 'grey' characters (Yingying and her father are nothing if not 'grey', but all the more endearing for that), a masterful plot twist and a truly love-to-hate-him villain. I still have a soft spot for The Sword and the Knife, though.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:07 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:I've been using Viki thus far: the show's been fansubbed. The popup comments are annoying, but you can turn them off. The ads, even more annoying because you can't. It's kind of temperamental, though - the reason I'm only about three episodes in is because my browser didn't want to load Ep 4 last time I tried it.

Oh, yeah, Viki is super annoying in that respect. And watching it with fansubs may contribute to some of the confusion you're experiencing. :P If you can handle watching a higher-quality but un-subbed version, do so--the cinematography is quite well done and unfortunately doesn't carry over to a Viki version.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub