Favorite Television Shows

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Favorite Television Shows

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:24 am

I've finished all three seasons of The Musketeers. I understand where Dong was coming from:
in that any musketeer seemed to be worth any 100 other men which takes away the sense of threat. Also their commitment to equality, not fitting in with their initial playboy soldier billing.

In addition I thought quite a lot of plots of episodes in the 3rd season were really absurd. I did like Matthew McNulty and Rupert Everet's as villains but I thought the series missed out by giving Milady de Winter a smaller role. i would encourage you to go back and watch the last two episodes though Dong, I thought they were probably the best of the season.

Next for me is Ripper Street.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:12 am

Thanks Sun Fin but it has been so long, I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch the end. Glad you enjoyed it though
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Equinox » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:07 pm

I haven't seen any love for How to Get Away With Murder yet, so here goes. The story centers around lawyer and law professor Annalise Keating (the incredible Viola Davis), whose machinations draw her students into an intricate and well-crafted plot involving sex, deception, immorality, and of course murder. It is told in a series of flashbacks in a shuffled, out of order style, which requires some investment to follow completely. It's a fantastic binge-watch, with some amazing performances and excellent twists and turns.

Summarizing the show truly would not do it justice, but I will say that the acting is top notch. Those of you who only know Viola Davis from her small roles in movies like Suicide Squad will get a chance to see her in rare form, playing a role as varied and nuanced as any on TV now. In spite of some implausible plot points and some dramatic convenience, overall the storyline is strong, with the emotional spectrum swinging wildly from humor and playfulness to desperation and palpable danger. Characters often feel like they are barely staying afloat as the real consequences of their actions from earlier in the show come back to haunt them.

So if you're a fan of legal thrillers, shows with a strong female lead, or just good dramas and are looking for something different, I definitely recommend this one!
Equinox
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:53 am

I have heard good things about How to Get Away with Murder.

Watched second season of Bitten which manages to tie up any loose ends from first season and move onto their plans for second season well. For the most part the season is better, general quality is up, they have a good overarching story, a good big baddie, nice new characters (though some figures I miss from first season), very tense and exiting penultimate episode (though finale was a bit flat), the new factors it brought into the world were enjoyable.

It was a more consistent show yet there was a price in that characters are not so well developed in terms of relations, the main romance is relying somewhat on last season to work, one set of characters are meant to be a family but one would never tell if they didn't constantly tell you becuase they don't develop that side of things.

=====

First half of season 3 of Jane the Virgin which we hadn't realized had turned up on Netflix. Quickly got back into the rhythm of things, the sense of fun, of romance, of embracing the deliberate silliness's, enjoyed the humour, new characters. Have mainly fixed the "too focused around Jane" issue while keeping balance of roster when it comes to main characters (very side characters can get shafted), very enjoyable twists, enjoyed new additions like Catalina (Sofia Pernas), goes at a quick pace. They had a very big decision with one of the show's fundamental aspects and got it right
Jane being a virgin vs Jane being married. They did one delaying tactic which was good for drama but then allowed it to happen, making good jokes about it and changing title card to whatever has happened
Very good half-season finale that carries punch.

On the negative, Petra's story is intresting but needed more time to be fully fleshed out, the dressing up characters in ye olde garb doesn't work particularly for Jane and while I love finale, there was a decision I didn't like
time jump. When Rafael is about to face going to prison, Jane has lost her husband, Roglio and Xo have made major breakthrough in relationship, Petra has bonded with children (annoying as hell they never explained how), Rafael sister brings killer girlfriend. So let's jump 6 years rather then explore all that
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to The Pub