Are you a Vegetarian?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Are you a vegetarian?

Yes
16%
No
76%
Kinda
8%

Total votes : 51

Are you a Vegetarian?

Unread postby urbanterrorist » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:12 pm

Are you a vegetarian? As for me. I am not. I love my kaibasi (polish sausage) in the morning. I think I would have a heart attack without it. But I'm, sure those pigs won't mind if I did.
They miss the whisper that runs any day in your mind,
"Who are you really, wanderer?" and the answer you have to give
no matter how dark and cold the world around you is:
"Maybe I'm a king. -William Stafford
urbanterrorist
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:18 pm

I eat fruit, it is tasty!! I do not eat lettuce, I am not a rabbit!! I love sirloin steak, it is just delicious!!

I am not a vegetarian!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby SYL » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:41 pm

Yes. I'm a relatively recent convert (4-5 months?), but it's been easy so far. I also feel that I'm eating better things now that I'm more conscious of what I'm putting on my plate day after day. It's not really for any grand, ethical reason (although it was an article by Arthur Grayling that got me thinking about it), simply a distaste for the practice, especially in today's world, of slaughtering animals for food. Animal carcasses are not appetizing.

As I say, I'm not terribly hardcore, though. I still eat eggs and dairy products, and I'm not evangelical about it.
SYL
Esswhyell

Unread postby Chris the King » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:47 pm

I love my meat. My favorite meal is meat wrapped with meat with a healthy side of meat. And beer. And tobasco sauce.
Chris the King
Changshi

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:06 am

Nah. My housemate and I eat less meat than the average North American, but that's only because:

1) Non-meat sources of protein are cheaper
2) Meats can get messy
3) Meats can get finicky. You have to get it fresh and cook it right for max flavour and tenderness, and we just don't have time for that.
4) Sources of non-meats are easier to verify.

I love dimsum, though. And there is no real dimsum without pork and shrimpm and more pork and lard.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Frank » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:46 am

Chris the King wrote:I love my meat. My favorite meal is meat wrapped with meat with a healthy side of meat. And beer. And tobasco sauce.

I couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

I tried being a vegetarian, but I'm not a fan of vegetables, and the only fruits I like are apples and grapes. Plus, I've tried soy-based products and tofu, and those weren't very pleasent. :?
/b/lackup has arrived.
Frank
Florida’s Finest

Unread postby Catalyst » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:46 am

You vegetarians are all nuts! Nothing tastes better than a nice rack of smoked ribs, or a bit of beef jerky on a road trip! You guys just don't know what you're missing :)

Really, though, I'm more of a breakfast food kind of guy. I could eat cereal, waffles, and pancakes (not to mention PopTarts) for every meal of the day. And, come to think of it, I do!
Catalyst
Apostle of Peace

Unread postby Tso Lan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:28 am

I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat a lot of meat. So it would be very easy for me to go vegetarian.
All hail Zhang He, Gan Ning, and Ma Chao
Tso Lan
Changshi

Unread postby Justin » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:58 am

I'm with SYL, a recent convert who does it for health not for saving the poor little cows and bunnies. I don't preach and actually try to keep quiet about since most people have nothing good to say about it.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby MarvelousLingTong!!!!!! » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:51 am

I have to say I'm basically the complete opposite of a vegetarian. I dislike all vegetables except for potatoes. I eat mostly all meats haha. I don't eat much fruit either.
"Nooooooooo hot sexy wife!!!" - Martin Schean
MarvelousLingTong!!!!!!
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to The Pub