Are you a Vegetarian?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Are you a vegetarian?

Yes
16%
No
76%
Kinda
8%

Total votes : 51

Re: Are you a Vegetarian?

Unread postby Bryan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:10 pm

There are different ways to cook meat, to prepare it and season it. Most of the times the little changes can make drastic differences in flavor and texture.

There's really only a few vegetables that I actually like, with the only one that I will actually choose over most meats being the sweet potato. Funny thing about that is that the CSPI rated it number one as far as nutrition goes over all vegetables (article), so I'm at least doing one thing right. That being said, I absolutely glorify meat, and I savor each and every bite. However, ham (typically baked) gets to me after a while, which is funny because I love most other forms of pork, especially bacon.

Oh, and rare to medium-rare prime rib is nirvana. I had some bison prime rib last week, and it was easily the best I've ever had.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:08 pm

I'm not, for my food budget meat is rather more affordable and gives more variety. When the day comes for things like insects being source of protein and where fruit/veg is cheap enough (via whatever means, I suspect governments will be trying to get us to eat less meat for climate change reasons) that it becomes a viable alternative (or cheaper) then I may well become so. Though I do love meat.

I do think there has been a significant change in last year or two here in UK with attitudes towards it. Used to be a vegetarian was... at best a little eccentric, a bit pious or awkward perhaps, at worst a big stereotype of holier then thou, sandal wearing, green loving jerks. One or two old guard in press will make such shots or jokes now but that is fading, it is become very acceptable and a rising major trend, I suspect climate change awareness has played a part and better options that make it more appealing. When the bakery chain Greggs, with a northern working class "sensible salt of earth" type image is doing vegetarian sausage rolls, it would suggest that at very least the vegetable option is reaching beyond the old liberal/environmentalists/trendsetters spheres and below the middle class. I question how much it will stick in the year ahead if economy or food supply goes very wrong but it feels like huge strides have been made for them in last few years.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:17 pm

I might be wrong but I’m not convinced by your logic. I think the liberal middle class demographic is growing which is why companies like Greggs are targeting them but I’m not convinced vegetarianism has spread past it yet.

For the record I love meat. I can see the day where I might have to eat less of it for the environment but could never envisage giving it up entirely!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Not sure Greggs has much appeal to that class? I could well be wrong, that though the numbers within the liberal class turning vegetarian is growing, it hasn't gone beyond it. I do think it has become more socially accepted though
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:40 pm

Anecdotal evidence only but I know lots of middle class liberals that enjoy Greggs. Your general point about it becoming more socially acceptable I think is true.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to The Pub