Doctor Who

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:58 pm

For the first new Doctor Who episode, critics seem to love it, I was more I had a nice time and there were more positives then negatives. The adventure, usually a weak point, was good with a well done baddie and those moments of the chase and the battle (as it were) clicked so that was very encouraging. It's build up of the new cast members went well, deft touch with the big change rather then hammer at it but there are times where the dialogue felt forced, I'm hoping that can relax now.

The new Doctor... also mixed. When being a teacher or the sense of morality, she shone and Whittaker made that Doctor part very much her own, when facing the baddie she had good exchanges, when left alone she showed a decent comic touch. When with the future companions? Again that issue of things sometimes feeling forced but also a sense that she was trying (and I get why) to be a bit too much like Capaldi and others, trying so hard to be energetic and it felt wrong, it lacked the sizzle and rhythm. I'm hoping that as her character gets used to the new body, they will let Whittaker be Whittaker

Still not a fan of the new costume, Capaldi's old one actually looked better on her. THis just feels like trying too hard to be eccentric. Full credit for how they used the location of the adventure however

-Grace was my favourite character, would have enjoyed her and husband going on adventures as they balanced each other well

-Really glad Ryan didn't suddenly become inspired to being suddenly able to ride that bike when his body simply can't. As someone with a smaller degree in this sort of problem, would have felt insulting. I'm also hoping they address Graham's snapping about it (without making him the baddie, I do get why people can snap) rather then ignore it
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Love the title sequence, them tune feels underpowered. Didn't sink into the episode but was a decent adventure and Whitakker seemed more relaxed, more her doctor and I liked what I saw for the most part, saw good fleshing out of group dynamics though only Ryan really felt progressed as a companion.

-I liked the big cloth group attack and when doctor read out the writing

-Tardis feels like they are trying to do too much, was not a fan

-Call of Duty mode!
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to The Pub