Doctor Who

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Unread postby SYL » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:23 pm

It won my heart with Christopher Ecclestone's Doctor chattering excitedly to Dickens about The Signalman. 8-)
aortic high arctic part mood altered paradise is lost
SYL
Esswhyell

Unread postby BlueDragon » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:49 pm

I was nearly scared at the part where that ghost thing turned evil :lol: but anyway I like this new series - on par with the old ones anyway if not better.
BlueDragon
Master

Unread postby Duncan » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:27 am

I was very disappointed with the bizarre looking alien species they used for this week's episode. They were rightly very evil, but surprisingly easy to kill with a couple of bottles of pickled onions and pickled gherkins. If only all evil aliens could be dispatched with preserves...

Best quote from the episode - "[these aliens have] weapons of mass destruction they can deploy in 45 seconds..." Sound familiar?

Just to let people know - the Daleks are coming soon!
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sun May 01, 2005 2:40 am

I just got finished watching the first episode of the new series and I have to say it made me giddy as a schoolgirl. I think they've hit paydirt - the formula preserves the feeling of continuity from the original, so that it almost feels like it's just been an extra long hiatus rather than a new series, but without throwing tons of fanboy references in that would only confuse new viewers. As Doctor Who goes it was about average, but that's a great starting point, and better than the telemovie, that's for sure.

And another Who-related note, just how big of a Doctor Who geek am I? So big that when I got $30 in sales bonuses on my most recent paycheck I used it to buy all three series of Strictly Ink's Doctor Who trading cards plus the 40th anniversary set. off eBay.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Iain » Sun May 01, 2005 8:10 am

I saw part one of the 'aliens try to take over british society' storyline. They looked very cool but CG should never appear to be a guy in a rubber suit really. They could have saved a few quid and just used rubber suits. :wink:

The zipper head was a little silly too, as well as the long time said aliens take to remove their human skins and stand there in all their alien exposure. Obviously victims are so paralyzed with fear they are stuck for ten minutes while the alien defrocks. :roll:

The Doctor figuring out the problem and ordering about the military was nice, from the scenes for part two it looks like more action occurs maybe the aliens will become more of a threat too, mum being threatened by an alien in the kitchen would be more credible if she wasnt nearly laughing.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby SYL » Sun May 01, 2005 10:32 am

Last night's episode was, quite seriously, one of the very best in the show's history. Without wishing to spoil it Daleks in the old series were always just a teensy bit rubbish - not so in this. Not by a long shot. :wink:

EX-TER-MIN-ATE! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!
aortic high arctic part mood altered paradise is lost
SYL
Esswhyell

Unread postby DAv » Mon May 02, 2005 2:17 pm

Problem is though, how are they going to bring the Daleks back now? Or the Cybermen for that matter?
It's 108 miles to Chicago, We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of ciggerates. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses - Elwood
Hit it - Jake
DAv
Academic

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Tue May 03, 2005 1:13 am

DAv wrote:Problem is though, how are they going to bring the Daleks back now? Or the Cybermen for that matter?

Shouldn't be a problem. As far back as Evil of the Daleks (a 2nd Doctor story) all the Daleks were destroyed save one, clinging to life at the end of the climactic battle. And no one ever said anything about Davros being dead, so he could always make more. There's always a way to write things back to life.

As far as the series goes, I'm now all caught up, and while I think Dalek is the best yet, and very good in its own right, now that the initial giddiness has worn off I have some qualms with the direction of the show.

Number one and upfront, The Doctor has been far too fallible up until now. If he isn't making a mistake then it's his attitude that's wrong, and he's always getting chastised by Rose. Frankly, she's been portrayed as much the hero(ine) as The Doctor, and that isn't how it's supposed to go. That doesn't mean the companions have to be nitwits who can't ever save the day - companions have always done their part, but The Doctor is nearly a milennium old and has infinitely more knowledge at his disposal than his companions. He's saved the day in only two of the stories - End of the World and Aliens of London/World War III - and in the former his hesitation costs someone's life. This is what happens when you cast celebrities in co-starring roles - you have to start justifying it in your scripts.

Secondly, and this is my main complaint with the Aliens/World War story: too much human drama nonsense. Yes, of course we know that if someone's daughter went running off with a Time Lord and never told you you'd be up in arms and slapping people in the face and all sorts of things, and of course you'd want to know if she's going to be safe and all this but frankly I'm not interested in watching that. We all know what the real life concerns interfering with the reality of such a premise are, and that's why it's a TV show, it isn't real, and the viewer shouldn't have to be weighed down with all that stuff. This is supposed to be science-fiction, Doctor Who, not a soap opera.

As an aside, I thought otherwise those two stories were perfect - the Doctor knows just a little bit more than everyone else about what's going on and how to stop it, the companions perform well and have their contributions to make, and we have a good story with some humor and suspense intermixed.

Thirdly, too much Earth. So far, we've seen time travel, but only that. Hopefully, this is merely an easing in process for the series and its viewers, because I would really like them to get back to the planet-hopping of yore.

In the end, though, I think things are still pretty good - not bad at all, some things I'm not liking, but overall a good Doctor, a good companion and ok writing. Who else was hoping we'd see the Brigadier in Aliens/World War, though? Nicholas Courtney still gets around, though he isn't getting younger. He attended the annual North American Doctor Who convention this year so obviously he still has an interest. Here's to hoping we get to see the Brigadier at least one more time.

On a similar note, I discovered to my sadness that Anthony Ainley - who played The Master from 1980-1989 - died earlier this year at the age of 71. I always enjoyed him on the original show.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Duncan » Tue May 03, 2005 11:46 am

I quite like the 21st century empowered companion thing.

And from amongst my friends, no-one knew Billie Piper could act well enough to carry this off. More power to the Swindon girl.

I like the idea of a return to the Brigadier. But then I liked the Jon Pertwee incarnation - the one that frightened me the most.
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed May 04, 2005 5:24 am

Sun Hua wrote:I quite like the 21st century empowered companion thing.

It's not even that so much - there have been strong companions before, Ace comes to mind. She was very capable of coming up with solutions on her own and handling tight situations. It's just that this Doctor doesn't feel unique or special - for the most part he's been reduced to a bloke with a time machine who happens to know a lot. Ultimately, I think the title character of the show needs to be something more than that in order to succeed, but there are a lot of people who don't seem to feel that way so I could be quite wrong.
We'll see.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub