Doctor Who

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Episode started and ended well, it had some really good ideas but built a poor adventure around it. No atmosphere, little humour, little excitement, lacking emotional power with some parts. It wasn't dreadful but it was flat with some sparks of cleverness that could have been better built around or thought out.

-Felt Coleman didn't quite hit her big moment near the end and while the idea, her anger at being used in such a test and the arrogance of the Doctor, was a good one, felt the adventure could have better built into it.

-Would have liked to have heard what happened to humanity if Clara hadn't hit the button

-Courtney's actress was a little erratic for me but gave Clara a chance to be a teacher

-Meh about the moon-spider.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:53 am

I disagree thought it was the best episode of the season, I felt the tension the whole way through.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:26 pm

Found it a decent episode, good but not my favorite of season. No real complaints, though feel episode is another throw back.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I disagree thought it was the best episode of the season, I felt the tension the whole way through.

It does seem an episode that divides people
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:31 pm

This week seems to be popular episode but for me: was fine, some very good themes about the doctor, nice adventure with some atmosphere but ending phase fell flat.

episode
-Apparently future scientists are solely made to gawp around the Doctor. Yes he is the one that is going to solve it but standing around silently? I wonder if the soldier part of the Mummy will play any part in Pink's future story :P

-I liked the voice only villain, had a bit of threat while providing a bit of humour, I expect him back. I liked Frank Skinner's engineer so hope it isn't the last we see of him. Foxes cameo worked

-Capadli is strong as a dark, ruthless doctor and the themes around that was very good.

-Some nice nodds to the gasmask episode and jellybeans

-That carriage being blown out into space was a good scene

-They are overly heavy-handed with the no romance thing though this time they tried a different route, making it like a breaking apart romance without it being one. I'm a little unsure why Clara changed her mind, guess it was the addiction? While the scenes between the two were individually good, it didn't knit into a cohesive whole. An episode apart, after the stormy end of two weeks ago, would have probably been a good idea and made a bit more sense then "oh look, she is back again. Break-up tour I swear!"
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:19 am

I said this last week as well but that was my favourite episode of the season!

So I agree with Dong that the farewell tour and Clara's abrupt change of mind was unexplained and a little weak.

However the actual episode was very good!

Frank Skinner's engineer was great and I was gutted when I said no to travelling with him. As Dong said hopefully we'll se him again later in the series.

Gus as a villain was very chilling and I hope we see more of him as well.

I really like this ruthless doctor, his a bit different very unpredictable. I mean with Tennant and Smith you always knew they'd try and save everyone and never give anyone up as dead until they were a cold body.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:17 am

Bar where we would mark the episode, I would agree with all of that Sun Fin
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Had an interrupted Saturday night but despite the bad luck, I had a nice fun time.

-The small Tardis leading to some decent comedy, loved the Adams family nod.

-Potentially decent new villains for the future, still more potential from them then we got I suspect so hope this isn't their last time

-Clara as the Doctor? She wasn't too bad. She isn't the Doctor yes but she provided a decent lead in my book, decent humour, learnt a bit about the Doctor and what he has to do, showed intelligence without being too good at being the doctor. Capaldi a strong presence as the side-kick and I have no issues switching it around every now and again.

-I quite liked the murals.

-The Clara lies about Danny better be addressed next episode. The season has not always been good at following on things like that.

-Interesting to see how Missy storyline plays out if they don't just blitz it in the final episode or two
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:49 pm

Felt this weeks episode was a sweet and nice enough episode, not the worst ever but nowhere near the best even of this season and times where it was clunky or drifted a bit. It felt like a filler episode before a big finale.

-Dialogue wavered between quick funny and fun to very bad messaging. When it generally attempted something big or meaningful, it went clunky

-Some nice jokes from the kids, I liked the relationship between Clara/Doctor/Pink with the little insults and errors. Pink seems nice yet still not able to warm to him

-The environmental message was both clunky and utterly weak, there were ways of doing that to make a sharp, clever point but instead it felt limp. I liked the premise of the forest there were moments where they had fun with the forest idea (the fairy tale reminders, the jokes) but the execution was a bit meh.

-The ending. Touched on, without any details, about the disappearance but then nature or whatever you want to call it magically brings her back?

-I loved that Clara was pulled up by Danny and the Doctor over her poor sense of priorities repeatedly, good that it lead to Danny showing his different priorities though the talk was poorly done. Yet the big Clara/Doctor motivation moment, where she goes "let the kids die so they can be with their parents and humanity is wiped out"... I can see what they tried to do but it was poorly executed.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Atlantis coming soon!

Oh right, Doctor Who. I enjoyed the episode, probably the one I enjoyed the most this season, as it had nice drama and humour but did take a bit of time for it to draw me in despite a good beginning.

big ones
-So the big one: Missy is the master. A little sad that John Simm's time is over but it had been obvious for some time, would have liked him to have got more time. Michelle Gomez however has made her moments in past episodes count, drawing out the mystery and giving a sense of flamboyancy. Given her chance to make it shine, was an amusing, flamboyant presence with a slight (but only slight) sense of evil once she revealed who her character was. Thought she linked very well with Capaldi and I hope, with more sense of villianly hopefully, she carries on in this vein.

I think they played it quite cleverly in the way they have established time lords can change gender, helping ease the passage for a female doctor. Have Missy or her subordinates only appear for a minute or two, making it an intriguing series mystery with Missy gaining popularity, do a few feints so most (including myself) don't guess the real truth. When her episode comes, do a few hints that likely will put people in the wrong direction, make sure she has an impact and is a lot of fun. So by the time that people have worked it out or she reveals it, hopefully by then people like her too much to object. Or at least they enjoy her so much they will continue to give her a chance.

Assuming Capaldi will be around for a few more seasons, I imagine they will try to use Missy a few times, just to continue to ease the idea of gender-changing timelords and that this could happen to the Doctor someday.

-Kind of wish the heaven thing hadn't just been a cyber-men trick as lots of potential with the idea of tackling the after-life. Had seem decent ideas and I like how they carried out the Danny Pink solider part, wasn't as heavy handed as I had feared it was going to be. I get the feeling the child glimpsed in the i-pad will play a big part in Danny's choice

Three big flaws in the heaven/cyber storyline: 1) it would really help a lot more if I liked Danny Pink. He seems a decent bloke but I haven't warmed to him. 2) I did like the "cremation or donated body = oh dear" but can't help but think that was a bit too dark for the younger members of the audience, 3) lost tension with the bodies really early and had revealed the cyber-men hand way too early.

-The "just a dream" thing for Clara's early actions felt a bit of a cop-out but I did like the Doctor's reaction to the mourning Clara

-Danny's death wasn't badly done but again, hard to care that much for him.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub