Doctor Who

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:04 pm

Well isn't Clara so lucky.

Puts all those other companions in perspective.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:44 am

Enjoyed the Christmas episode, funny start, did drift in the middle
mainly the restaurant scene
, great ending. It was sweet, sad, romantic but an awful Christmas episode. Christmas is meant for those who might see it only once a year, this requires Doctor Who knowledge
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:10 pm

No Doctor Who this year other then the Christmas episode which is a pity. Moffat has one more season then is leaving for Chris Chibnall who did Torwchwood and written for Doctor Who but is more famous for Broadchurch.

On the three pieces of news:

1) Curses. I think a break after Moffat left would make sense and perhaps the show could do with a breather but disappointing to do so now.

2) I do think it is time for Moffat to go after so long and with fan base divided. He was never going to be the great white knight saving the show from Russel T Davies and is now in the tiresomely slagged off every time stage that Davies was. Early season were erratic, latter more consistent but lacking greatness, didn't tend to enjoy his finales and felt he got wrapped up in the mythology a bit too much but he brought a lot to the Doctor Who Universe. The Ponds, Weeping Angels, the female Master, some great episodes.

I wish him luck whatever he does next

3) Chibnall's record seems a bit ht and miss from what I have seen of him but best of luck.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:12 am

New companion announced with a small trailer

Pearl Mackie

Don't know the actress but Doctor Who's companions have tended to be unknowns or those whose careers have been in other industries, mostly the casting has worked. The advert was worrying though, the character was extremely annoying and I was rooting for the Daleks
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:28 pm

BBC3, starting from last Saturday, is doing a spin-off Class which is on the Torchwood level audience rather then for kids. Enjoyed the double opening episodes, bit clumsy sometimes with character development but they are an intresting bunch and really love the jokes
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Iain » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:08 am

The BBC has been looking for a good kids timeslot replacement for Sarah Jane Adventures since the actress passed away, I wish Class all fortune in its run.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:36 pm

Iain wrote:The BBC has been looking for a good kids timeslot replacement for Sarah Jane Adventures since the actress passed away, I wish Class all fortune in its run.

More a restrained version of Torchwood rather then kid friendly. Bits of well done nudity, more violent in way deaths are done, adult themes, that sort of thing.

We really enjoyed Class, I felt it was better then Doctor Who has been in terms of consistency but Doctor Who is hamppered by it's very nature whereas Class could just concentrate on Coal Hill and it's characters. Avoided after first episode being Doctor Who centred and allowed to become it's own thing, action well done, some good but not great monsters including the main baddie, a good overarching story as well as individual ones without doing the twists.

While the adventures are fun, the key bits are the characters. The group of teenagers reluctantly overseen by the show's star Miss Quill (Katherine Kelly) are a good mixed group that are easy to warm to, a good young cast, there is a lot of humour, the show does "things aliens hiding amongst humans might struggle with" very well without overdoing it. The family stuff is intresting when done but got squeezed to sidelines over eight episodes, the secondary romances really work with charm or humour but the main one
Ram (Fady Elsayed)xApril (Sophie Hopkins)
is rushed and lacks chemistry as a romantic duo.

All hail Miss Quill! :wink:
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:32 pm

Loved the Christmas episode.

Wasn't keen based on adverts and started a little forced but after a certain early point
superhero knocking on window
, it really clicked into gear. It was very funny (I tend to only like Matt Lucas in small doses but he was great here) with humour doing the "panto" trick of jokes for the kids but also jokes and innuendo aimed very very much at the adults, good villains that I hope to see again, bar one effective scene
Doctor's sadness over River Song
the show restrains from doing more then nice Easter eggs for long term fans so those watching once a year can enjoy it too (not always Moffat's strength), a sweet romance that I warmed to. For those who don't like Superheroes, it is less a superhero episode and more one with a superhero in it, does do superheo jokes but ones that shouldn't fly over peoples heads and even if it does, plenty of jokes that aren't about superheroes.

-Will be a real waste if they don't use those brain creatures again. The two humans used weren't great but other characters might make more of it and the surgeons were creepy

-Enjoyed the Doctor Who working out Superman's identity and mocking Spiderman's powers. I think the "she doesn't know the man in her life is the hero" worked partly becuase they mocked it (some things are just too stupid to continue and so on)

-I wonder if the first comic book writer to give X-ray vision to Superman ever thought three family friendly shows (smallville, Supergirl, Doctor Who) would use the... other aspect of such powers.

-Mr Huffle!
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Capaldi is leaving at the end of the year, I assume at least part to give the new showrunner a chance to mold his own doctor and he wants to go before he gets tired of it. Though his performances has been very good, not sure he has always been well served by Moffat and can't say I'm too sad
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:25 am

So Easter comes and so does Doctor Who, the last season of Capaldi and Moffat, the first for the new companion

My sister enjoyed the opening episode, for me it was one of those it was fine but I wasn't quite engaged. I liked the new companion but there elements that feel too similar to Clara, the big bad was a nice idea and I liked it but felt it had diminishing returns within episode, I really liked how they handled the "new companion sees Tardis" which they managed to keep fresh in an amusing way.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub