Doctor Who

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Unread postby Iain » Thu May 12, 2005 7:00 am

They must be running the episodes in a different order up here in Canada, I just saw "Dalek" and it was a great morality play on the Doctor and his relationship with his arch-enemys.

I like also how we keep getting little tid-bits of the Doctor's past, gallifrey destroyed the Time Lords and the daleks all wiped out in a final battle, and it sounds like the Doctor had a hand in that wipe out. I am enjoying this darker side of the Doctor's life and hope they build on this in future storys.

Now if the CBC could just broadcast the show on Saturday nights at 5:05pm, I'd be re-living my childhood days once again. :D
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Fri May 13, 2005 2:18 am

Dalek was good. Regarding the backstory, it is nice that they've taken advantage of the audience's knowledge gap between Doctors 8 and 9 (at least regarding TV, anyway) to fill it in with some significant events. I'm neutral on the stuff itself, though, until we find out more.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Duncan » Fri May 13, 2005 12:05 pm

Personally I think it is a shame that the second companion has fallen by the wayside. I agree with Adrian that it was nice to see more of the Doctor in action. It was important for him to have been proved right about Adam in contrast with Rose's inclination to be sympathetic.

I want to know what Adam's mum's reaction to his surgery was...

Just in case anyone has missed this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episodes/index.shtml
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sat May 14, 2005 12:51 am

Another good link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/confidential/index.shtml

For those who haven't been watching Confidential or can't see it (I don't know if CBC and other non-UK broadcasters are showing Confidential as well) you can watch them all online.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sat May 14, 2005 7:42 pm

This morning while running errands and doing housework I was thinking about the consequences of Gallifrey being gone and the statements that all of the Time Lords are dead. Does this mean that Leela is dead, as she (inexplicably) opted to remain on Gallifrey and marry Andred at the end of The Invasion of Time? What about Romana? She stayed behind in E-Space following Warrior's Gate and presumably could have been safe from the ravages of the war. But this also depends on what the writers decide to consider canonical - in the 7th Doctor novel Lungbarrow Romana has returned from E-Space and become Lord High President of Gallifrey. And they've been pulling a number of writers from the novel and Big Finish audio lines - Mark Gatiss, Paul Cornell, Russell Davies himself - well, who knows? And what of The Master? Does this mean that he, too, is dead? I'd hate for Eric Roberts' miserable performance to be the last one for The Master. So many questions. I wonder if we'll get answers to any of them?

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Iain » Sun May 15, 2005 4:28 am

I dont know how Gallifrey can be destroyed really, since it exists outside of time and existance when the Time Lords were wiped out was that all throughout time too? Couldnt the lastest Doctor go back in time to when Gallifrey still existed.

Or have I just got lost in the whole Blinovitch Limitation Effect there. :wink:
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sun May 15, 2005 6:49 pm

WARNING - There be spoilers in full force below, yarr.

Wow...Father's Day was incredible. I thought Dalek was good, but was not as impressed with it as much of the rest of fandom. Father's Day is, in my opinion, the Ninth Doctor's first classic story.

I cried. I've harped against the 'domestic' stuff, and this episode is full of it, but it works this time. The element of time paradoxes and time travel makes it otherworldly and unusual from the outset, allowing it to be more interesting and intriguing than married couples bickering and the like would normally be. On top of that we have The Doctor, faced with no hope, no plan, bravely coming through to begin saving the day, full of compassion, trying to make things right without making Rose lose her father again, giving his life in defence of humans even though they can be "stupid apes".

And mirroring this, we have Rose's father forced to sacrifice himself. He recognises that The Doctor tried to protect him, and Rose, and that his and Rose's mistakes have undone any hope for that and possibly destroyed The Doctor. I really cried - it wasn't trite, or cliche, or overly done, or maudlin or anything - it was perfectly acted and scripted, and evoked genuine feeling.

And so many good moments - The Doctor telling baby Rose "You aren't going to go and destroy the world now are you? Are you?", his total authoritarian attitude in dealing with Jackie and the rest.

I think I like Rose now. I guess part of me objected to a nineteen-year-old Londoner just hopping aborad the TARDIS and being so dominant. Now that the past two stories have highlighted the truth - "I know what I'm doing. You don't!" - Rose can now safely be a heroine in her own right without making the titular character of the series look ineffectual by comparison. This story also connects her more with the audience, I think, establishes her as, at heart, an ordinary person, which makes her more sympathetic, and also reestablishes the contrast with The Doctor that had been lacking. He is alien - not one of us - which makes him more interesting to watch, and to appreciate his ability to do things we can't, and Rose can now be what she ought to have been from the start - an intelligent, strong, smart person capable of dealing with strange and dangerous circumstances better than most but still just a human being. However, she does still wear entirely too much mascara.

This episode was special, and was practically perfect. I asked for more as good as The Long Game and they delivered in spades.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Omega52 » Sun May 15, 2005 11:28 pm

Here theres someone named "Omega" on that show, might be worth watching.
"I mistrust the judgement of every man in a case in which his own wishes are concerned."- Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley
Omega52
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Mon May 16, 2005 12:46 am

There was, anyhow. Omega was a Time Lord responsible for helping his people become great but has been trapped in an antimatter universe for milennia. He appears in The Three Doctors and also in a Peter Davison/5th Doctor story that I can't recall the name of offhand. Arc of Infinity, maybe? Dunno. I wouldn't lay any great stakes on him showing up in the new series, though Doctor Who has always had a penchant for resurrecting its past so who knows?

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sun May 22, 2005 12:40 am

Like a lot of people, I suspect, Patrick Troughton's era is the one period of Dr Who I am most unfamiliar with, largely due to so many of the stories having been wiped from BBC archives in the mid-70's. I've been watching a lot of old Who latley, what with the new series and all, and have discovered a new companion to add to my list of favorites, thanks to some viewing of Troughton-era material I previously hadn't seen, and wanted to list my most and least favorite companions.

Favorites:

1. Adric - This one here was inevitable. Intelligent but socially-awkward, with a very similar name to my own.
2. Leela - Despite his distaste for her violent tendencies, Leela is one of the 4th Doc's most effective and interesting companions.
3. Sarah Jane Smith - Intelligent, active, and a journalist to boot. Screamed a bit, but then you would too if a murderous robot mummy being controlled by a vengeful, wicked Egyptian god were trying to kill you.
4. Zoe Herriot - (see below)
5. Jamie McRimmon - I am now convinced that the 2nd Doc, Zoe and Jamie is one of the best line-ups in the history of the show. Zoe is everything Victoria was not, and, surprise, surprise, it's a lot more interesting to watch her than the latter. Jamie is strong, brave and instead of wasting time being perplexed by time machines and the like he takes it all in stride. And he's funny as hell, too.
Least favorite:

1. Victoria Waterfield - Grahhh. Sure she's nice to look at, but she's murder on the ears and dumb as a post. *scream-then-get-captured-then-get-rescued-repeat*
2. Susan Foreman - You'd think the "granddaughter" of a Time Lord would stand up to pressure and fright a little better than she does. Go on, go with your resistance fighter boyfriend, get thee off my screen.
3. Mel - Oh. My. God. I can imagine the discussion that bred this character..."Y'know, we haven't had a real screamer, a real eardrum-piercing lass in awhile. Let's run a contest to see what actress in all the land has the most pwerful set of lungs." Can shatter glass at fifty paces.
4. Dodo Chaplet - No, no and no. Haircut's remarkably similar to Adric's, though. Not that that's a good thing.
5. Perpugilliam Brown - Poor Peri. There's a real character there, somewhere, underneath the half-open blouses and badly-faked American accent.

How bout everyone else? I listed reasons with mine but that's just because I'm bored.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub