Doctor Who

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Unread postby Big J » Wed May 04, 2005 8:00 am

Theyve made a mistake as the new doctor, David Tennant, is the 8th one, and there were only surposed to be 7 as doctor who is reincarnated 7 times.
Big J
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed May 04, 2005 11:57 pm

Big J wrote:Theyve made a mistake as the new doctor, David Tennant, is the 8th one, and there were only surposed to be 7 as doctor who is reincarnated 7 times.

Actually, Time Lords get 12 regenerations (and so 13 forms or lives), and David Tennant will be Doctor number 10. The Doctors are, in order:

William Hartnell - "The original, you might say."
Patrick Troughton - No. 2
Jon Pertwee - No. 3
Tom Baker - No. 4
Peter Davison - No. 5
Colin Baker - No. 6
Sylvester McCoy - No. 7
Paul McGann - No. 8
Christoper Eccleston - No. 9
David Tennant - No. 10

EDIT: Some other actors have played Doctors, Richard Hurndall replaced William Hartnell as Doctor 1 for The Five Doctors as Hartnell had passed away in the early 70's. I think David Tennant played The Doctor in the radio play Scream of the Shalka, as well. And a jokey charity one-off, Dimensions In Time, featured such actors as Hugh Grant and Rowan Atkinson as "future incarnations" of The Doctor.

We still have a few more to go before he reaches his final end, but we could use a few more Pertwee/T. Baker-length eras, rather than one-shots like McGann and single seasons like Eccleston or we really will be facing the end of Doctor Who.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Big J » Thu May 05, 2005 12:07 am

LiuYuanTe wrote:
Big J wrote:Theyve made a mistake as the new doctor, David Tennant, is the 8th one, and there were only surposed to be 7 as doctor who is reincarnated 7 times.

Actually, Time Lords get 12 regenerations (and so 13 forms or lives), and David Tennant will be Doctor number 10. The Doctors are, in order:

William Hartnell - "The original, you might say."
Patrick Troughton - No. 2
Jon Pertwee - No. 3
Tom Baker - No. 4
Peter Davison - No. 5
Colin Baker - No. 6
Sylvester McCoy - No. 7
Paul McGann - No. 8
Christoper Eccleston - No. 9
David Tennant - No. 10

EDIT: Some other actors have played Doctors, Richard Hurndall replaced William Hartnell as Doctor 1 for The Five Doctors as Hartnell had passed away in the early 70's. I think David Tennant played The Doctor in the radio play Scream of the Shalka, as well. And a jokey charity one-off, Dimensions In Time, featured such actors as Hugh Grant and Rowan Atkinson as "future incarnations" of The Doctor.

We still have a few more to go before he reaches his final end, but we could use a few more Pertwee/T. Baker-length eras, rather than one-shots like McGann and single seasons like Eccleston or we really will be facing the end of Doctor Who.

Adrian

Ah, just a conversation I had, that came up :?
Big J
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Thu May 05, 2005 12:10 am

Big J wrote:Ah, just a conversation I had, that came up :?

I wouldn't worry about it, I'm just a sad, thoroughly obsessed little anorak :P

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Iain » Thu May 05, 2005 4:58 am

And for that matter in 'The Five Doctors' the time lords offered the Master a full new regeneration cycle if he saved the trapped Doctor, so if they can offer twelve new regenerations, who knows what can happen. :wink:
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Big J » Thu May 05, 2005 8:04 am

LiuYuanTe wrote:
Big J wrote:Ah, just a conversation I had, that came up :?

I wouldn't worry about it, I'm just a sad, thoroughly obsessed little anorak :P

Adrian

lol, Im not. Actually it was in a quiz that my teacher did. Ill tell her she was wrong and I have intelligent frinds that say so 8-)

Hold on, I have INTELLIGENT friends? :?

:lol:
Big J
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Duncan » Thu May 05, 2005 1:20 pm

It might be best not to let on that you know people who care that much about Doctor Who - might get a reputation as a geekophile!

Iain's right - all it would take would be a storyline that extends the Doctor's number of regenerations. I hate to break it to you Adrian but it isn't real - scriptwriters can change the future at the stroke of a pen. They are the real time lords.
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Fri May 06, 2005 4:24 am

Sun Hua wrote: I hate to break it to you Adrian but it isn't real -

It isn't??? My God, and this whole time I've been slaving away under the belief that any time now a big, blue Police Box would land somewhere across the street. *breaks down into uncontrollable tears*

.....Anyway, of course the scriptwriters (well, and the producers, etc) define what Doctor Who is. If that weren't the case, then no one would care, either to the good or to the bad, about any of the decisions they make.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Iain » Fri May 06, 2005 7:09 am

Sun Hua wrote:It might be best not to let on that you know people who care that much about Doctor Who - might get a reputation as a geekophile!
I run a site called 'Gallifrey' does that show my geekness enough. :D

Sun Hua wrote:Iain's right - all it would take would be a storyline that extends the Doctor's number of regenerations.
And the Master even stole Tremas's body to give his last regeneration an extra lease on life in 'Keeper of Traken.'

I'm a sad anorak too Adrian. :wink:
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed May 11, 2005 3:39 am

I liked the most recent episode. I watched Earthshock again today so it's only fitting that Adam should leave the show. Anyhow, a little less Rose, a little more Doctor and everyone else was nice. I've also come to the conclusion that the stuff I talked about in earlier posts is merely secondary - my only real gripe at this point is I don't care for Rose. I think Ms. Piper does a great job acting the role, I just don't care for the role. And I was so looking forward to having two companions to balance things a bit...ah well. And I suppose Rose could grow on me...there are other companions I've not initially liked. Anyway, Long Game, good stuff, more of the same, please.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub