Doctor Who

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Unread postby Duncan » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:17 pm

Big J wrote:Id rather play soccer than watch TV anyday

You're just scared! :wink:

My first memory of Dr Who was the dummies walking out of shop windows and shooting people with their laser hands. I had a terrible time walking past shop windows with display dummies in them for a while after that. Many's the time I would hold a cushion close to my eyes in case the doctor or his assistants came to a sticky end. Behind the sofa was for wusses.

But you're right - it used to be on weekday nights just before dinner, so the Sunday at 7 time-slot is pretty rubbish.
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:15 pm

Sun Hua wrote:My first memory of Dr Who was the dummies walking out of shop windows and shooting people with their laser hands.

My first memory was seeing The Master revealed during The Keeper of Traken. I grew up watching it at the very end of Tom Baker's run and then into the Peter Davison years. This was when I was like 4 years old. I lost track of it for awhile and then my local PBS station started running shows from all of the Doctors around when I was 12 or so and I got hooked again. I have a pretty substantial Doctor Who video library which, I think, is one of the crowning indications that I'm a gigantic geek.

I don't remember ever being afraid though I was very upset when Adric died in Earthshock. I'm a bit of a weirdo even amongst Who fans in that I've always liked Adric. Probably because his name is similar to mine and I grew up watching the time when he was on the show.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Iain » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:56 am

Sun Hua wrote:My first memory of Dr Who was the dummies walking out of shop windows and shooting people with their laser hands. I had a terrible time walking past shop windows with display dummies in them for a while after that. Many's the time I would hold a cushion close to my eyes in case the doctor or his assistants came to a sticky end. Behind the sofa was for wusses.
That was one of my first memories of the show too, I recall as a small lad being somewhat cautious about walking past department store windows after that, those store dummies seemed to watch my every move. :wink:

I'm glad the show has come back finally, Canadian viewers can see the new series on CBC on tuesday nights now. :D
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Mistelten » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:21 am

My first memory of Dr. Who was the infamous(to me anyways) Daleks episode; the one where they land on that jungle planet and Dr. Who dies and resurrects as a different actor.
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Big J » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:08 am

Sun Hua wrote:
Big J wrote:Id rather play soccer than watch TV anyday

You're just scared! :wink:

If you ask me the old Doctor Whos had rubbish special effects, persoanlly dubbed efeects

The only thing thats scarred me recently is my gran waxing her legs in the linving room :evil:
Big J
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Pi » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:48 am

My mum told me of how she used to be scared of the Darleks and that she used to hide behind the sofa when she was little. Honestly, being frightened of a wheelie bin! :lol:
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one." - James A. Froude
Liu Pi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Duncan » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:49 pm

Big J wrote:If you ask me the old Doctor Whos had rubbish special effects, persoanlly dubbed efeects

That was one of the delights as I grew up - you could actually suspend disbelief in the safe knowledge that the Doctor would never come to any harm because a sink plunger covered in tin foil wasn't really going to hurt him.

The new series is using CGI, which means you can't make your own "realistic" alien stuff because making it look like it is on Doctor Who just isn't possible any more.
Big J wrote:The only thing thats scarred me recently is my gran waxing her legs in the linving room :evil:

Eeeuch!
Liu Pi wrote:My mum told me of how she used to be scared of the Darleks and that she used to hide behind the sofa when she was little. Honestly, being frightened of a wheelie bin!

If you're six and you think wheelie bins might suddenly come alive and start attacking people, walking to school on bin days can get to be really scary! Just ask younger kids how frightening this stuff is.
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:07 pm

Big J wrote:If you ask me the old Doctor Whos had rubbish special effects, persoanlly dubbed efeects

It also had a crap budget.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Iain » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:00 pm

It was costed once in the late eighties as one episode of Star Trek TNG cost nearly as much to make as 13 half hour episodes of Dr Who. The BBC always prided themselfs on good storys and acting over glitz and special effects.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Duncan » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:02 pm

This week's edition was a typical Dr Who costume drama. It reused old sets and costumes from other shows and added a small amount of CGI. Not an episode to write home about, but still quite fun.

The best bit about the whole programme is the use of the cream of British character actors for a kids show - they're all excellent, and they seem to be doing it because they want to be involved with Dr Who, not because of the cash (which is likely to be pitiful anyway). Simon Callow as Charles Dickens was a particular highlight.

This was always one of the nice things about the show. Everyone grew up with it, so everyone loved it in a nostalgic kind of way, so it seemed to get better performances out of some amazingly talented people that you wouldn't expect to see on a kids show.
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub