Questions Thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Unread postby Sima Hui » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:44 pm

No. Your eyeballs grow by 3.25% during your lifetime.
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Lucifer » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:02 am

I was going to ask about starting a thread like this, because I have a little question.

My girl friend told me that Mountain Dew (I think that's what it was) is illiegal in Canada, because all soda must be dark colored. I told her she was crazy, and that that kind of law would make no sense. So, is she right, or is that just some strange rumor she heard somewhere?
Lucifer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby robbyjo » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:37 am

If I'm not mistaken, Mountain Dew was pronounced illegal because of it's unusually high caffeine content. So, Canadian Mountain Dews are of reduced caffeine. I recall that I drank a bottle of Mountain Dew when I was in Edmonton, Alberta...

-- Rob
:mrgreen:
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Humble Fisherman » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:27 am

Lucifer wrote:I was going to ask about starting a thread like this, because I have a little question.

My girl friend told me that Mountain Dew (I think that's what it was) is illiegal in Canada, because all soda must be dark colored. I told her she was crazy, and that that kind of law would make no sense. So, is she right, or is that just some strange rumor she heard somewhere?

We have mountain dew in Canada, but it is a non-caffeinated version.

Regulations under the Canada Food and Drugs Act stipulate that only cola type beverages can contain caffeine or caffeine citrate as an additive, and then only to a maximum concentration of 200 p.p.m.

Because mountain dew is not a cola, it cannot contain caffeine under these regulations.

Recently, a loop hole emerged in these regulations that have changed things somewhat. Guarana (which naturally contains a high caffeine concentration) is not regulated in Canada, and can be added to anything. Of course, only 'guarana' can be listed as an ingredient, and it cannot note its caffeine content in any way.
"He who thinks he has no faults has one"
Humble Fisherman
Langzhong

Unread postby Equinox » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:42 am

I've always wondered, why is a mason jar called that? Does it have anything to do with the Mason organization or is it named after someone?
Equinox
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:50 am

Equinox wrote:I've always wondered, why is a mason jar called that? Does it have anything to do with the Mason organization or is it named after someone?

Although hundreds of men and women obtained patents for fruit jars, probably the most well known in the industry has been the Mason jar. Many independent manufacturers included the name Mason with their logos on some jars. It became a common term for the fruit jar.

http://mcclungmuseum.utk.edu/objectmo/ob-9808.htm
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby James » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:48 pm

Here’s a random one. The term for a textual representation of a person’s life is a ‘biography’. Is there such a term for the textural representation of an event?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Humble Fisherman » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:15 pm

James wrote:Here’s a random one. The term for a textual representation of a person’s life is a ‘biography’. Is there such a term for the textural representation of an event?

I think there are several other words that fit the bill:

Record
Account
History
chronicle
recollection
description

..for instance. I think Biography relates specifically to an individual.
"He who thinks he has no faults has one"
Humble Fisherman
Langzhong

Unread postby robbyjo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:24 pm

How about: Episode?

-- Rob
:mrgreen:
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:42 am

James wrote:Here’s a random one. The term for a textual representation of a person’s life is a ‘biography’. Is there such a term for the textural representation of an event?

A chronological report of events is best described as annals.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub