Questions Thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Questions Thread

Unread postby Sima Hui » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:19 pm

Me and Kong Wen have discussed this and have decided to make a questions thread for basic life. This includes asking people things you don't know and would like to find out. Me and Kong have agreed that if this topic becomes spammy, then it should be locked, so pleeease don't spam in my lovely thread. Hope I explained it right. Here's an example...

Q: I heard that hair and nails are made of the same stuff. What's it called?
A: (Other member) That's right! It's called keratin and it is indeed, the stuff that makes hair and nails.

Hope that's clear. :wink:
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:24 pm

Addendum: This is not a trivia thread or anything like that! Sima Hui originally intended this to be a basic questions & answers thread, like that in the SGYYS, i.e. a thread where you can ask short questions that don't need huge elaborations, debate, or a whole thread to explain the answers.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Master Still Water » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:19 am

Good, I'll get the ball rolling:

I remember me and my dad arguing about the color of an object when there is no light to illuminate it. I'm adamant in my belief that the color of an object becomes undefined when there is no light illuminating it, for example: you're standing in a room holding a red apple, you turn off the light, now the apple doesn't have a color because there is no light to define it. Dad believes the opposite, and thinks the apple is always red.

Which one of us is correct? Maybe I can sort this out once and for all :x ....
In nine years' time things start to waste;
In thirteen years there isn't a trace.
Heaven sends things where they're due;
The mudbound dragon mounts the blue.

-From Master Stillwater to Liu Xuande
Master Still Water
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby robbyjo » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:27 am

Actually, IIRC, a color is basically a reflection of a particular wavelength of a ray. So, for example, an apple looks red because it only reflects red wavelength and absorbs others. Color black on the other hand, absorb all wavelength. So, black actually is a state that there's no light reflected. Likewise, white is a combination of "all visible colors" in spectrum. Materials have colors because of its reflectivity...

-- Rob
:mrgreen:
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:06 am

robbyjo wrote:Actually, IIRC, a color is basically a reflection of a particular wavelength of a ray. So, for example, an apple looks red because it only reflects red wavelength and absorbs others. Color black on the other hand, absorb all wavelength. So, black actually is a state that there's no light reflected. Likewise, white is a combination of "all visible colors" in spectrum. Materials have colors because of its reflectivity...

According to the scientific idea of light reflection and colour, there are two possible answers to the original question.

1) The apple is black, because there is no light reflecting off of it to make it appear as any other colour.

2) The apple is still red, because it has properties that affect its reflectivity and make it appear red under normal lighting conditions. Even though you can't see the redness because it is not currently reflecting, the apple's redness is defined by the properties that make it appear red in a reflecting situation (not simply by your perception of redness).
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby robbyjo » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:17 am

That's true, Kong. Every material has their own properties that reflects the "color" to the eyes. Not only reflection, colors may also caused by interference of wavelength (e.g. in case of pearls), pleochroism (i.e. "gliterringness", in case of crystals), fluorescence, and dispersion light (in case of sky). Each of these has different properties...

-- Rob
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SesshomaruTenseiga » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:35 pm

Uh, this may be stupid, but on a song, I heard the expression "sleight of hand." What does it mean?
Last edited by SesshomaruTenseiga on Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a now nothing.
SesshomaruTenseiga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby robbyjo » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:43 pm

Sesshomaru, it's supposed to be "sleight of hand"

Microsoft Encarta Reference Dictionary wrote:1. skill with the hands: skill or dexterity with the hands in performing magic tricks, card tricks, or juggling. Also called legerdemain
2. deceptive skill: any kind of skill by which something happens without it being obvious how it is done

Hope this helps,
-- Rob
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sum Gai » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:44 pm

I think it's "sleight" of hand. It means to be quick and skilled with your hands, it's usually used in reference to a magician or performer who can perform some sort of magic trick by quick hand work.

EDIT---
Man, I always get beat to the punch on these things. I need to type faster.
Is this the real life, is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality.
Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy.
Sum Gai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby GLUEMAN » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:42 pm

I heard that from the day you are born and until the day you die your
eyeballs don't grow one bit; is this true ?
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y & ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
GLUEMAN
Scholar

Next

Return to The Pub