Favorite Musical?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Favorite Musical?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:14 am

Your last 2 reviews are on 2 of my favourite musicals. High School Musical is just so much fun, and to be fair I'm sure the enjoyment is largely built on childhood reminiscing. I think the music gets better as the films go on but the second one is probably the weakest story line. No. 3 is my favourite, so stick with it Dong!

Hamilton is awesome. The kings songs are probably my favourite, although I particularly enjoy his one about John Adams, and how he stays on the stage afterwards to watch. Just such a fun character! :lol: Like you I knew very little about Hamilton before watching the show (as per The British education system I know nothing about the revolution whatsoever) but enjoyed the history enough to order a biography of Hamilton. My wife and I would both disagree with you about the lack of hits - she would say Burn and Satisfied are two of her all time favourite songs. Personally I love Yorktown and the Cabinet Battles.

Also, Lafayette. The guy was present for both the US and French revolutions and moved among the top circles in both. I just find that fascinating.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: Favorite Musical?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:51 pm

High School Musical is just so much fun, and to be fair I'm sure the enjoyment is largely built on childhood reminiscing

Where you the genius newbie to the school? :P

We certainly plan to see the three main High School females (debate on if to see the villainess spin off film) though we tend to put a gap between films of the same franchise

My wife and I would both disagree with you about the lack of hits - she would say Burn and Satisfied are two of her all time favourite songs. Personally I love Yorktown and the Cabinet Battles.

I did listen to the album afterwards, I would say after the King ones the ones I liked were the last two songs of the musical and It's Quiet Up Town. I lean towards the wife songs but I think it may be style, these are very narrative songs as a whole doing bits that would usually be covered by dialogue and that isn't my musical style.

Also, Lafayette. The guy was present for both the US and French revolutions and moved among the top circles in both. I just find that fascinating.

Yeah he does seem to have had an intresting life being at two major revolutions. Maybe there should be a musical about him as well!
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to The Pub