Watched any good movies recently?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Watched any good movies recently?

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:50 pm

I haven't posted here for awhile, so I thought I'd mention a few movies that left an impression on me over the last few months:

They Shall Not Grow Old is defintely one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. What really sets this one apart is that they only use restored footage and photos from that period as well as actual veterans that do all the narration. (recorded years ago and digitally enhanced)
It's entirely from a British pov and directed/produced by Peter Jackson created for the Imperial War Museum archives. The most impactful part of the movie is watching the transition of enthusiastic English teens who assumed they were signing up for one long heroic calvary charge, to becoming gaunt, hollow eyed veterans who had seen too many horrors. A few parts showing post battle footage were pretty hard to watch.
There's little mention of the French or American involvement, and most comments about the German side seemed fairly respectful which was a little surprising considering the brutality of the fighting involved.
Very educational and highly recommended. 9.5/10

Shoplifters should have won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language film in my opinion. While theft in Japan isn't that common relatively speaking, people living in poverty is unfortunately.
This film has many bittersweet moments of people trying to survive on the fringes of society. The characters are flawed but easy to root for. And the incredible performances of Lily Franky, Sakura Ando and a little gem named Miyu Sasaki made this one of the better movies I've seen in awhile. 9/10

May We Chat wasn't that great overall in my opinion, but it was unique, well acted and memorable. It's from Hong Kong and based on the lives of three young women whose overreliance on social media (namely WeChat) causes all sorts of problems but also brings them closer together. The first half is a tad boring and explores their day-to-day lives. The second half takes a dark turn and had me riveted for the rest of the movie. Rainky Wai Yue-Sam was fantastic in this and worth watching on her own. And the ending was a quite a surprise as well. 6.5/10
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius
Sakae Wu
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:40 pm

Watched western anthology The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Unusually we split this into two, we found the tales intresting but it has a slow pace and after the very slow Gold Canyon we discovered we still had an hour left, we didn't want to tire of it so decided to take a break.

Opens up with a sense of a book being opened, gives a real sense of ye old book with dedication and such details, each tale starting with a picture with a caption that teases a moment to come then once glimpses first words (and at end of each tale), first tale is the Ballad. Tim Blake Nelson is a good opening lead, there is cheer and fun songs to catch the attention yet also a dark side is quick to emerge. There is something dark about human nature in each tale, to point that one ends up waiting for the dark side to emerge though usually the moment is well executed. Each tale has its own style to help keep things fresh, opens with cowboy musical then there is horror, romance, plays and so on that keeps it fresh.

Each tale is, though tending towards the slow, really well done with only cast member I had issue with was Saul Rubinek's attempt to do a French accent. The tales are intresting, varied, endings have impact, has songs (not a musical despite the name) in two of the tales and they are enjoyable, it has a good eye for human nature and human misery but usually enough lightness to not make it too depressing.

Both: 7.5, nearly 8 but for the need to split
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:40 pm

Lost this while posting

Watched rom-com spoof Isn't It Romantic. Premise: Architect Natalie (Rebel Wilson) is single and no longer a fan of rom-com's which she sees as unrealistic and not hopeful of love. When mugged and knocked out, she slips into a rom-com world with flowers, suitors and song, something she is all too aware of and isn't so keen on.

This feels like a film where writers Erin Cardillo, Dana Fox and Katie Silberman had a basic idea they wanted, a rom-com that shines light on and has fun with the tropes. The problem is they didn't have enough fresh or well executed ideas to fill the 89 minute movie, there were some neatly done ideas here or there and a fresh ending phase but a lot of the ideas were either old or fell flat. Natalie's explanation/rant of why she hates rom-com to her underutilized friend/assistant Whitney (Betty Gilpin) summed it up, there were two or three moments that felt clever observations or delivered in an amusing fashion but a lot of it was ideas that have been mentioned for years and not delivered well. The rant overall felt overly long and didn't work as a whole, too much meh overwhelming the good moments.

As a rom-com itself, it isn't good enough. Some of the romances lack strong chemistry though best friend Josh (Adam DeVine) has moments in romance, it is hard to warm to them till near the end when some of them begin to click. Use of songs for romance doesn't work, the songs never come alive and though a decent cast (Liam Hemsworth and Priyanka Chopra), they don't spark off each other.

As a comedy? Some enjoyable visual "land of rom-com" gags and some good jokes over the near ninety minutes but have seen better comedy performances from most of the cast, they didn't manage to make the most of the "heard it before" jokes, to give them life. I found the attempted spoof of the gay best friend, played by Brandon Scott Jones, undercut its points by the way they played it but my sister disagreed.

Me: 5.5 Sis: 6.25
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby SunXia » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Man the new Spider-man movie is awesome. Seriously so glad I didn't grow old and die before they really started doing good Comic Book movies!! Just need to get someone to fix or reboot the DCEU away from Snyder and his "grittiness"!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:59 pm

SunXia wrote:Man the new Spider-man movie is awesome. Seriously so glad I didn't grow old and die before they really started doing good Comic Book movies!! Just need to get someone to fix or reboot the DCEU away from Snyder and his "grittiness"!!

Aaah! So jealous. I haven't seen it yet, but yes I agree about Snyder. He screwed up my all time favorite superheroes for "dark and edgy". I mean...ugh. Why make Superman dark? He's Superman! I could go on a whole rant about that but just...ugh.

Glad the new Spider-Man is good though.
PeanutButterToast
Initiate

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:27 am

I only watched Homecoming on the plane home the other day which I really enjoyed! Will probably wait for DVD release for the newest one.

Batman at least seems well suited to gritty movies? I loved the Dark Knight trilogy and that was pretty dark! All that said I find Superman the dullest superhero ever so I've stayed away from most of the DCEU.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to The Pub