Watched any good movies recently?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Watched any good movies recently?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:15 am

My father didn't play the games and seemed to follow it well enough, well as much as the bad logic allowed

Tried adaptation to snow white Sydney White set at college with the prince (Matt Long) being a fraternity head, the villain (Sara Paxton) being the evil fraternity head full of privilege and blond (you get the image it is going for), Amanda Bynes plays the construction girl Sydney. We gave it about 15 minutes and one sees flashes, one great joke with Bynes, some fun with the evil lady but jokes seem forced and dialogue stilted. Tried Georgian film My Happy Family, seems well constructed and performed but wasn't quite my thing.

Watched high-school comedy Charlie Bartlett. Premise: Charlie Bartlett (the late Anton Yelchin) is expelled again from private school, this time for forging driving licenses. His rich mother (Hope Davies) decides to send him to the local school where Bartlett seeks popularity and spots Susan (Kat Dennings), daughter of principle Nathan Gardner (Robert Downey Jr.).

This is a film that can be quite enjoyable one moment then flop the next. What worked was the initial relationship between Charlie and his caring if incompetent mother, Charlie's dreams of popularity leading to his clever and good natured schemes to get that. Charlie has charm and good manners to go with his brain to make a likeable lead, there is a bit of humour in what he tries, none of his schemes seek to shaft others and he treats people well. Some figures are one scene only but make an impact but there are others who become figures in his life like bully Murphy Bivens (Tyler Hilton). However even this stronger part of the film, there is a feeling of "if only better writing, could be even better" (Gustin Nash is the writer here), film trying to be a bit too quirky, going for big emotional scenes that have not had the build up required and, most annoyingly, support characters getting dropped completely. We really wish they had replaced some scenes with a strand they just completely dropped
Murphy's date with Whitney (Megan Park) had such a build up, we see him with flowers... then it gets ignored

Then there is the... less good strand. It isn't awful but it lacks spark, the romance lacks chemistry and neither the head teacher or the daughter are particularly engaging. When you see Charlie charm and help someone then swap to the romance or the headteacher's struggles, you can feel the enjoyment dip. Unfortunately guess which of the two strands makes up the end phase? Rather then ending with ommph, every worst aspect of the film comes into play and it drags.

Me: 6.0, Sis: 5.5
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Tried What Dreams May Come which was very erratic, would have a good scene that felt natural then others were dialogue was trying too hard and it was trying to bludgeon home the emotions. Tried Monster Truck which I thought might be mindless fun and stuck with it way longer then I should have. The monster is cute and there are some half decnt humour moments with it but nothing else really clicks, the lead Lucas Till fails to offer a charismatic presence to hold attention, attempted humour romance with Jane Levy's sees humour not quite hit,

Watched thinking piece The Man From Earth. Premise: After ten years John Oldman (David Lee Smith) is leaving to the confusion of his fellow professors who gather to say goodbye. Sensing something is wrong, they press for an explanation and he tells them he has been alive since the caveman era....

A cheap production with the sort of cast you vaguely recognise (Tony Todd, John Billingsley, Ellen Crawford, William Katt and Richard Riehle for example), the visual quality is fairly grainy, Afshin Shahidi makes some odd choices with the camera, David Lee Smith's lips seem to go brown/green at times and not in a deliberate way. Most of the characters aren't particularly fleshed out (it is more a group dynamic that interests), some of the humour (particularly from Billingsley's character) is annoying and the film is inadvertently sexist. All the thinkers and questions come from the men, the three woman are restricted to love interest, old religious lady and perky young student.

Having got the flaws out of the way, we found the film intresting. In his last work, the late Jerome Bixby really seems to have thought the concept through of a caveman who stops ageing in his 30's and so is still alive in 2007 (when the film came out) as much as possible. How did it happen, what positive and negative things that meant for John, how does growing up through changing times impact a person, what common perceptions about an immortal might be true or not. A lot of questions are asked by his friends and answers given by John while Bixby also worked on how the group would react both as a group and as individuals to his story with a wide variety of reactions as it unfolds.

Naturally it also covers religion and for most part, it is intresting as it discusses things like his views down the centuries, how it changed society around him. However there is one sizeable segment in second half where it bases discussion around a controversial choice
Major Spoiler
he was Jesus
which felt unnecessary (there were a ton of less controversial choices it could have picked). It is the one segment where the logic frays a bit, where the explanation just doesn't seem as convincing when it really needed to land the logic. The religious expert Edith (Ellen Crawford) hadn't come across as likeable at this point and she is not served well by this section, she gets religion mansplained by the men in the room and it is clear the writers feelings on religion. It isn't that the arguments aren't intresting and thoughtful but three men dismissively explaining to a religious lady (strangely the only religious person in room, not even casual believers) about religion and how she is irrational/wrong is... off.

Me: 7.5, Sis: 7.0
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:42 am

Watched animated family film The Boss Baby. Premise: Tim Templeton (Miles Bakshi) is a happy seven year old with two loving parents but when his baby brother (Alec Baldwin) arrives in taxi and in a suit, his life changes. Tim suspects something is up with his new brother....

One of those nice enough, bit patchy films rather than Storks. Two things that shone was the set up in Baby factory (there is a nice nod to "where do babies come from") and the wizard alarm clock (James McGrath) had the best humour. During first half, I appreciated what they tried to do with Tim's imagination but didn't quite click while I liked some of the Boss Baby stuff like his authority and sense of power, my sister preferred the imagination. Second half felt was hampered by need to do an adventure, some good moments but others were I wasn't engaged.

Both: 6.0
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Watched a fair bit of the Hitman's Bodyguard but after about 20 lengthy actions scenes too many, we stopped. There is stuff that almost carries it, Ryan Reynolds has charm and generally liked his character, Vladislav Dukhovich (Gary Oldman) is a good baddie that just lacks a little something to be great, Sonia (Salma Hayek) is a bit erratic but some highly entertaining moments. For a film that relies on the main two blokes, it s a problem we didn't like Darius (Samuel L.Jackson) whose character was annoying most of time, didn't feel the main romance sparked and too many lengthy, not good action scenes. Tried Free Fire, found some of the characters annoying with one or two showing potential but when the big action scenes started, they didn't click for me at all. Frank and Lola, the dialogue never felt real or anything humans might say

Tried comedy in Christian high-school Saved! which has a lot of potential to be a really good film and starts strongly, Mary Cummings (Jena Malone) is sweet and the problem she gets herself into is done in a way that makes sense, a good cast, nice touch showing how someone can grow to believe in gay-conversion without being an unkind monster. However it does dip and it has a tendency for being on the nose when subtle would work, the rebel Cassandra (Eva Amurri) for example could be an intresting look at the one Jew in the school who due to atmosphere feels on defensive and so strikes out. Instead it comes across as rebelling for rebelling's sake, concentrating on the constant acts rather then motive and it gets tiring. Macaulay Culkin's character Roland gets rather creepy in a way I don't think they intended.

======

Watched Stephen King horrorChristine. Premise: An evil car kills two workers on the production line, 21 years later the car is a rust bucket but catches the eye of geeky Arnold Cunningham (Keith Gordon) despite his friend Dennis Guilder (John Stockwell) warning him against it. As Arnold fixes up the car, he becomes more and more obsessed while the car's killing ways may not be over...

As a car based horror, it works nicely enough. They generate tension, good use of lighting to add to the car being a threat, kills fairly effective, the special effects have aged well. They do well to give the car a sense of personality like the timing of when it turns on, music to send a message (good music as well), how it responds to others and they respond to it. This works best when they balance it out with the humans like Dennis in first half, when the human stuff starts to struggle the car horror can't carry the film.

Where it starts strongly and later fades is the human characters side. Arnold and Dennis make a strong friendship pairing, one gets a sense of their school, they hint at the love interests but over time, it loses that aspect. Arnold's change when he gets the car has moments of real interest but other times he is just annoying and perhaps the change could have been slower, characters including Dennis can vanish for a fair while. Love interest Leigh Cabot (Alexandra Paul) jumps into a romance without a proper build up, doesn't build a sense of personality or real chemistry while Alexandra Paul is the weakest member of the cast. By the time we get to the big end phase, it does feel the film has just gone on a bit too long

=====

Watched Psychological thriller Stoker. Premise: Richard Stoker (Dermot Mulroney) has died, leaving a grieving wife Evelyn (Nicole Kidman) and her strange daughter India (Mia Wasikowska). When Richard's brother Charlie (Matthew Goode) returns from his travels, it changes the dynamics of the Stoker household....

Bit off an odd movie but I liked it. At times Park Chan-wook seemed to be trying to generate horror like tension but those scenes never worked, what he managed was to generate a sense of the odd/surreal and a bit of the erotic. The film happy to have passages where little is spoken but fills it with strong performances and when they do speak, the dialogue is strong. The twists are predictable but for most part well done, a few moments in the end phase where one or two twists didn't quite land. Good performances, particularly enjoyed the odd India with Wasikowska's wide eyes suiting role and the charming Charlie.

Both: 6.5
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Tried Slovak/Czech drama The Teacher (2016), set in 1986 when new teacher and influential communist Mária Drazdechová (Zuzana Mauréry) starts using her teaching job to gain favours. Well constructed film (though having the whole class stand up one by one and say their parents job, maybe another way could have been found), a cast that actually looks like ordinary parents and do a good job, one can see the manipulations unfold. It just wasn't quite us, it is better made then a fair few films we have watched and did nothing wrong but just wasn't feeling it.

Watched Baywatch which attempted to reboot the lifeguard show as films, hadn't particularly watched the original show but away of the old jokes about slow-mo running and so on. The attitude of this film towards the old show is... confused, on one hand they have cameo's, on the other they parody stuff that went on like the opening joke of how popular and revered Buchanan (Dwyane Johnson) is which was a nice one. They also try to have their cake and eat it on one front with leering at females: They make a few decent jokes about the slow running and there is a feeling they are trying to spoof things when they concentrate on Alexandra Daddario's chest or Kelly Rohrbach's bottom but it really feels like in attempting to joke about it, they are committing the original problem all over again.

This is a patchy film, at times it goes along nicely enough and it has a decent end phase, other times I was on the verge of quitting. The things it does right is it has a good villianess thanks to Priyanka Chopra's performance, who is closest to landing the humour, the "this is somewhat ridiculous" tone and has some decent threat about her. There are nice scenes between Buchana and Matt Brody (Zac Efron) whe it concentrates on developing them and a bond, Brody had a decent storyline while decent enough chemistry with Daddario's Sumner Quinn. As long as not on water (which is a bit of a problem for Baywatch), nice enough action scenes and it feels like some things just didn't quite click rather then bad. Like some humour that feels like it should work and with good comic actors but the jokes rarely land.

There are also times when the film is just bad. The water action scenes are boring, plenty of humour is excruciating dick jokes, the Ronnie (Jon Bass) strand is awful. Ronnie whole idea seems to be either one of the writers or producers fantasy, the fat Jewish nerd who joins the cool kids and gets the girl (which can work), some awful jokes, a romance that doesn't feel real and doesn't quite fit with the rest of it. The girls are underwritten, even side characters get way more time then Buchan's deputy Stephanie (Ilfenesh Hadera) and they all seem to be there for romance or possible future romance.

The film has trouble with lifeguards doing police work. The writers Mark Swift and Damian Shannon seem aware there is something silly about lifeguards investigating a major crime but don't know how to handle it. They have Buchanan make one decent speech about lifeguards dealing with beach crime but only time they do that. Vs 3 or four good speeches pointing out the issue with what the Baywatch team are doing, they make rather more convincing cases which the show tries to counter act by either "well so and so isn't as awesome as our lifeguards" or have them recant. However it doesn't make their point any less valid.

=====

Watched horror/thriller Identity. Premise: It is a dark and stormy night that is leading to floods, forcing various people to stay at Larry's (John Hawkes) Motel. Alas a convict (Jake Busey) is also staying and when people start to be murdered....

If your thinking Agatha Christie's "then there were none", others have made that comparison but this is less a delve into the minds, more a horror. BBC's recentish adaptation is well worth checking out if you like the "people trapped and isolated in a place with a killer"

This was one of those better then the individual parts, I enjoyed myself but I can't point to anything remarkable about the film. The killings themselves lack impact, we guessed the big mysteries and easy to guess who will die early but it was still exciting watching it unfold, flashbacks were irritating at start but calms down. Only one or two characters like Ginny (Clea DuVall) and the nervous George (John C. McGinley) felt like developed figures but even they faded out, most are either not developed at all or easy but likeable clichés like Paris being a prostitute with a good heart but Amanda Peet's performance warmed us to the character. While ending didn't quite land, we had an enjoyable time with the "I vaguely recognise" cast doing a good job.

Me: 6.0, Sis: 6.5
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:18 am

Baywatch, now that was a terrible film. I gave up about halfway through and let it keep playing while I did some chores. I feel like I would need to be under the influence of something to appreciate it at all.

-----

Went to see Avengers: Infinity War in the theater with my wife last night. I did enjoy the fact that she has seen just enough of particular stuff to basically have enjoyed the movie without me having to nerdsplain anything, she has Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Black Panther under her belt which is good enough to keep up with things for the first Infinity War film.

Without venturing into spoiler territory, I thought the film was good for the most part. Thanos in particular lives up to the build and mystique that's been shored up around him in the brief glimpses in previous films through credits and such. Story understandably suffers a bit under the weight of such a massive roll call of characters, that was inevitable, really. I didn't like certain aspects of the plot, chiefly that Thanos' attempt to collect all the Infinity Gems is condensed into such a tiny little window of the MCU timeline. At one point Stark even mentions how the threat of Thanos has been on his mind for six years (first Avengers flick), comments like that can put a few holes in the bad dude's plan here.

That said, if you're a fan of at least some of the MCU properties, it should hit enough sweet spots. I've been waiting a long time to see Thanos finally come into play as well, so this movie scratched that itch for me.

Also without giving any spoilers, it can get surprisingly dark for MCU at a few points. I have to leave my comment at that to keep it spoiler-free.

Spoilers follow.

-----

spoilers OPEN AT OWN RISK
Hulk/Thanos brawl right out of the gate sets Thanos' power level real quick. I saw jokes in comments online about Hulk being scared to come out after that, haha. Though I have to admit, I was kind of surprised that Thanos didn't outright kill more, considering how many encounters he had with various superheroes. Mad Titan on a mission, I suppose.

Vision arcs bored me to tears. Then he got killed...twice...haha

Dark ending with Thanos succeeding, a lot of people in my theater (Korean audience) didn't seem to be expecting that, and then the post-credits scene where more heroes die elicited actual groans. But what sucks is they killed off characters with future films already set up, so you know the next film is going to somehow revolve around setting Thanos' success right. I read stuff online joking about how otherwise you will have GotG 3 with only Rocket in it since everyone else is dead now.

One interesting...Easter egg I guess? After the snap, the Infinity Gauntlet seemed like it had been exhausted by the use of all that power. It's only shown very very briefly, but it looks corroded and so forth. It makes me curious, since they didn't make a big deal out of showing it.

Best fight scene was on Titan. Worst stuff was probably Thor/Rocket trying to forge the Stormbreaker.

I'm kind of annoyed that they managed to squeeze one last tie-in with a non-Avengers film out of me with Captain Marvel, it will probably be integral to the plot of Avengers 4 based on the post-credits scene, since Fury pages Captain Marvel before he turns to ash. I've been thinking for a while about not continuing to watch MCU stuff (except groundbreaking things like Black Panther, of course) once this Thanos arc is done, so I am feeling a bit blah about more side movies featuring characters that don't interest me prior to seeing their films getting linked to this arc; i.e. Ant-Man and Captain Marvel. I want a definitive end for certain superheroes so I can peace out of some of this stuff, as I definitely have a case of superhero fatigue going on...

As far as deaths go, even though he didn't end updying, Iron Man looking like he was about to was definitely giving me the feels. Whoever they decide to kill off in Avengers 4 in the process of reversing what Thanos did, it will definitely be a moment. Gamora also had a pretty rough death scene, though that was more about how it was set up than Gamora being some legacy MCU character. The moment Red Skull mentioned having to make a sacrifice to get the Soul Gem, I was like uh oh...
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri May 04, 2018 4:08 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:Baywatch, now that was a terrible film. I gave up about halfway through and let it keep playing while I did some chores. I feel like I would need to be under the influence of something to appreciate it at all.

That is probably true

Tried comedy Life but just wasn't clicking so we switched to Love & Death, one can see how the jokes in that worked on paper but too often the dialogue or the delivery killed the joke. Tried America Ultra, just weren't interested in the main pairing with Jesse Eisenberg seeming younger then I think they meant, God Own's Country was well made and nice to see Yorkshire accents but we were not drawn in.

Watched full film, Yorgos Lanthimos's psychological horror The Killing of A Sacred Deer. Premise: Cardiac surgeon Steven Murphy (Colin Farrell) befriends young Martin (Barry Keoghan) and invites him to meet his family, doctor wife Anna (Nicole Kidman) and children Kim (Raffey Cassidy)+Bobby (Sunny Suljic). Naturally this being a Lanthimos film, things go wrong...

This is very much within the director's style, the odd style of speaking and characters direct ways of thinking that works to highlight humanity through the surreal, getting very good performances out of cast, a very surreal style meshing with ultra realism like the depiction of sex or the hospital feeling like a real hospital rather then the usual TV/film style hospitals. The characters were intresting, I like the dynamics between husband and wife, between parents and their children, between Martin and members of the family, enjoyed watching the story unfold and characters making human decisions.

This lacks a little something of his best films. Some of the way the plot unfolds is a little chaotic and confusing in a way I don't think is meant, the set up perhaps takes too much time (and one wonders what the point of one character
Martin's mother (Alicia Silverstone)
is after the end) which is time that then can't be used to explore some of the more intresting parts of the second half fully. I also don't think it explores the reflection on humanity enough, it shows it in glimpses then moves on.

Me: 6.5, Sis: 7.0

=====

Watched Spiderman: Homecoming, I had liked his and Aunt May's cameo in Civil War. Given the third "first Spiderman film", felt Marvel were clever in the way they worked to make it different. A younger spiderman, school a far bigger part of his life, friends beyond love interest+Osborne, incorporating it heavily into wider Avengers world, not doing origin story (thank goodness). Also in a superhero franchise full of big adventures, going for something more ground level and how superheroes being around impact others gives this film a different perspective to the MCU films.

There is a lot I liked. The school stuff is a lot of fun, there is humour, I liked the characters with Zendaya providing a lot of humour as Michelle, a nice romantic chemistry with Liz (Laura Harrier), likeable best friend Ned (Jacob Batalon), it is fun when Peter Parker is with them and I hope they come back. The school also has fun with "how does the Avengers being around" impacts education system and students, some nods to the wider world there, great opening. The Ironman stuff works well on screen but one wonders if it could have been done differently, it is an amusing film.

Marvel has rightly been hammered down the years for its villains, this one breaks their usual mould of "hire good actor, give no development time outside of confrontations with team awesome and setting plan evil.". This time, they actually put the work in, they find screen time for the baddies, they give them a proper arc. Funnily enough, it works. They make team bad ground level villains, they get their own screen time which allows a team to built up just enough and the big bad to really be developed, it shows how they became bad guys, throwing a question back the audience
what is difference between Stark and these arms dealers?
, provides bits of humour. Michael Keaton performs well which helps but so much was done to flesh his character out, lacks the flamboyance to be up there with Loki and Ultron but is far above the majority of Marvel baddies.

However we were disappointed with Aunt May, at times we wondered if Marisa Tomei had been replaced, she was rarely in it and didn't seem like the one we saw before. She barely has two good scenes and one of those is about five seconds long. The other disappointment is the first half of the Spiderman bits. There are plenty of good individual scenes, including exploring his inexperience (not as much on that front as one might have expected) but I found that every time it switched from other scenes (school/Stark/baddies) to Spiderman in the field, it dipped. Why? Pacing was off in those scenes, leaving them slightly too long, Tom Holland couldn't lift the film by himself, the quips didn't land and humour via action fell flat. I did feel Spiderman scenes were better when he had a character to bounce off, leading to humour and helped expose the character's inexperience. It did get better in the second half, pacing was decent and Spiderman had more chance to interact with others but the flagging first half stayed in the head

-Liz and family being impacted by father's arrest and trying to brave it out was a good touch

-Potts lives! Was a good scene where they were surprised by Peter Parker's maturity but Happy came across as really inept in this, one expects Iron Man to mess up with his handling but still, did nobody in team Stark think an active proper mentor might help?

-Enjoyed Spiderman's perspective of the airport fight in opening

-Nice trolling at end of credits

-I really enjoyed the two "discovered" scenes. Spiderman creeping into his own home was one of the more impressive action scenes, there was tension as he cleverly thought his way to keeping things silent, eases shut the door... then camera pans to see the sheer amazement of his best friend which has us laughing. The second one didn't have the set up but the aunt's cut off reaction was funny

-Maybe the AI should have been saved for film 2? I did like the sense of personality they gave it

Me: 6.5, Sis: 7.0

=====

Watched Sofia Coppola's adaptation of the Breguiled, had watched the original by Eastwood/Don Siegel. Premise: Yankee soldier John McBurney (Colin Farrell) is injured but rescued by young Amy (Oona Laurence) and taken to a Confederate boarding school for girls/young ladies. This will end well.

That Farell and Nicole Kidman are leads again was an odd coincidence.

If the first film could be described as a horror with erotic charge, this is a straight drama, short at 90 minutes. For first half this went nicely enough for me, my sister wasn't pulled in. I do feel that while the lighting chosen gives a sense of the times, it does hamper the film somewhat as it makes it hard to get a fully clear view of the cast at times. As a drama? The time means there is a lack of depth in every character bar possibly headmistress Martha (Nicole Kidman), John is never really explored (he is a bit all things to all people) and relies on a good performance, there are some nice moments of how a unknown male in their midst after so long impacts the group but wish there had been more.

There are partnerships with John that work, his befriending Amy like a friendly uncle makes for some charming scenes, he provides a platform to Martha (Nicole Kidman) to get inside her head and there is nice chemistry there. The only other major character (Amy is not a major character) is the teacher Edwina (Kirsten Dunst) who has some great moments with Martha showing their relationship. Unfortunately the scenes with John are poor, there is no chemistry, John's dialogue is so heavy handed it undermines the scenes. I assume Elle Fanning was meant to have a bigger role with Alicia but all she gets is little seconds here or there, Fanning does a good job to make those moments work but it leaves her a very badly underwritten character.

The film had already been running out of steam by time it switches path. Key moment, within the context of this movie, makes no sense for the characters
John wants to get foot under door so he could either take a gamble on Martha being willing, bed the very willing teacher Edwina... nope for Alicia who he has ignored the whole time and which ill-suits his purposes
. Characters make some odd decisions, the lack of depth for John hinders things, there are one or two nice scenes but it has drifted.

Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon May 07, 2018 11:21 am

Watched mockumentry Best in Show. Premise: Mayflower Kennel Club Dog Show, held in Philadelphia, is upon us and contestants travel from far and wide hoping to win that blue ribbon. The documentary makers pick five entrants to follow....

This has a good atmosphere, it never feels like (bar one misjudged moment) it is mocking the people involved but showing enthusiasts having a good time, a friendly atmosphere among the contestants despite the strains they get into, there is no villain here and some nice warm relationships between partners. There is comedy, it is dry and my sister found it more amusing then me, the two funniest strands where Gerry and Cookie Fleck (Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara) with Cookie having had an active love life before marriage and it popping up every now and again with people she meets (they avoid overdoing it) and the worries of Meg and Hamilton Swan (Parker Posey, Michael Hitchcock). Cast of TV names whose face one recognises do a good job with the improv.

Me: 6.0, Sis: 7.0
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Skode » Tue May 08, 2018 9:28 am

Marvel Infinity War was worth the hype and for me prob the second best marvel movie yet behind the Winter Soldier. Managed to see spoiler free and damn was I glad I did. 10/10
Skode
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue May 08, 2018 10:17 am

I loved Infinity Wars! It certainly wasn't a stand alone movie, if you haven't seen the rest you'll be so lost but for those of us who have followed the MCU from the beginning it had so many references and rewards! For example:

About half the cinema gasped when Red Skull appeared and the other half were utterly oblivious :lol:

I think it was my favourite so far. I probably need to see it again to remember it all, it was so fast paced!

My highlights
- The deaths of Loki and Gamora were emotive and showed Thanos' menace as a villain. I also enjoyed Loki's redemptive death!
- Thor was amazing. His referral to Groot as Tree and Rocket as rabbit just tickled me.
- Bruce Banner brought so much humour, I love his character so much more than Hulk.
- Stark's banter with every character is always the standout aspect of every movie his involved in. I will really miss him when his contract runs out.
- After the characters fading away did anyone else notice that all the originals were left? The final outing for many of them has to be pretty epic now!
- Presumably Dr Strange foresaw all of this? Hence why he told Stark it has to be this way? Presumably his also told Stark?
- Peter Parker/Spiderman is my favourite of the new cast.

I don't really have any lowlights after my first viewing.

Dong edit: The quote marks I think were meant for second spoilers segment, so edited it to prevent spoilers
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub