Watched any good movies recently?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Watched any good movies recently?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:25 pm

Tried Young Frankenstein which I remember enjoying in past, some good jokes and I liked Igor (Marty Feldman) but a lot of the jokes fell flat and pace was off, felt things got dragged out.

Watched period drama lady Macbeth (named after Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District novel, not the Shakespeare one). Premise: 19th century England, Katherine (Florence Pugh) enters an unhappy, stifling marriage with Alexander Lester (Paul Hilton). When she meets groom-hand Sebastian (Cosmo Jarvis) things start to change

I can't 100% say why we liked it as well as we did. Certainly the cast and the production team like director William Oldroyd did a very good job in making the most out of Alice Birch's story, happy to allow a slow pace to let things breathe. There isn't any humour (bar one scene with Sebastian), I didn't warm to the romance and Katherine is not a likeable figure yet it is intresting watching her, how events unfold, her dynamic with her husband and her father-in-law Boris (Christopher Fairbank), plus servant Anna (Naomi Ackie). Kathertine's little plots and moments are intresting though her lack of long term thinking is frustrating and ending is unsatisfying.

Me: 7.0 Sis: 6.5

=====

Watched video game movie Assassins Creed. In 1492 Andusla, the Assassins are worried the Templers are going to get to Granada so Aguilar de Nerha (Fassbender). In modern day Cal is sentenced to death for murder but Dr. Sofia Rikkin (Marion Cotillard) has her own ideas.

Disclaimer: I played one and bit of the games, my sister some of the first, we picked this one as we wanted something fun but too fun due to coughs and colds.

There is surprisingly little of Aguilar's strand, to the point where we couldn't recall the name of his fellow assassin's Maria (Ariane Labed) despite good work by the actress, there would be good set ups of a scene and then lots of really boring action. The focus is on Cal and Dr Rikkin, I liked what they did to make the Animus machine work for film, I liked some of the world building though the item everyone seeks never quite makes sense. Some good scenes with enjoyable dialogue though early on Cal and Dr Rikkin initially fall flat when together, I enjoyed scenes with her father Alan (Jeremy Irons), there is a good cast.

While the film goes along nicely, the end phase is hampered by 1) the awful action scenes, 2) lots of characters not given any time 3) bad logic. There had been logic issues at times but it gets worse and worse deeper one gets into the film, characters making bizarre decisions that make no sense for example which undercuts the drama of the moment

Both: 6.0

====

Watched Mythica: The Necromancer aka the third one. Changed director from Ann Black to A. Todd Smith, seemed to have a bigger special effects budget, action was better (though still prone to "extra can't actually attack the stars so just stands there"), story was cohesive. This (though I was unwell) did feel like it lost a sense of made the first two films stand out, there were moments of glee and character relations but less then before so lost a bit of charm. Teela's promising strand
loss of faith
got dropped early on, the baddies don't work while for story reasons they swapped out a regular of the four for another character. In itself it isn't a bad idea, makes sense in story and Philip Brodie gives a good performance as the new character but they didn't bother to give Brodie's character any such bonds whether friendship or rivalry with anyone but goes for dramatic action scenes that fall flat.

Me: 5.5, Sis: 6.0

=====

Watched Power Rangers. Premise: Many many many centuries ago, Rita Repulsa (Elizabeth Banks) is on verge of victory so red ranger Zordon (Bryan Cranston) hides power coins in the hopes that worthy successors would find them. Students in Saturday detention were probably not what he had in mind but they will be the ones who must fight Rita.

Watched some of the show as a child, wanted a nice fun one while I was under the weather. Plenty of nods towards the fans, though Zordon seemed different, but I did feel they should have kept some elements (like the Zords) back for a sequel though overall it does feel better put together. Good production values, the power rangers costume don't quite work but Rita's does, action fine for things like training but the inevitable big battle ran out of steam with Ludi Lin as Black Ranger Sazk Taylor needing to work on his action dialogue delivery. Banks chews scenery as Rita and they are quite good at making good villain situations but felt there wasn't quite enough to have real oomph for the final battle

This was a film with plenty of humour (best cow based backstory ever) and they did try to flesh out all five Rangers though unsurprisingly the Saturday detention group of three got more then the other two, they started earlier and had more natural reasons for meeting each other. They were a likeable group and thought the young cast did quite well, we enjoyed watching them grow bonds and adapt to being Rangers. There was a bad misstep as pink Ranger Kimberly (Naomi Scott) has a modern reason for detention and they have something to say
leaking nude photo's of another+that one bad act doesn't mean you are bad
but they have a comedy strand involving Kimberly's former friends getting bad stuff happen to them. They dumped Kimberly for a very good reason yet we are supposed to feel good when luck kicks them?

Both: 6.5
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:55 pm

Kong Wen wrote:I actually have a movie-chat podcast so you know I have some thoughts on the Oscars this year. :)

That's pretty cool! Can you share how to find it?

Kong Wen wrote:Frances McDormand was my #1 pick to win Best Actress this year. I thought she hit it out of the park. Fantastic acting. It's OK to not like the role and still like the performance. It's also OK not to like a good performance, since acting is art and the impact of art is largely personal. :) So don't feel bad if you don't "get it". Sally Hawkins was probably my #2 pick. She was wonderful too.

With McDormand, I know I'm in the minority with not being amazed by the performance. It wasn't that I thought she wasn't good, she was, I just didn't see the oscar coming. I think she has a very natural style that doesn't seem forced (as opposed to Rockwell who at times can be excessive like you noted).
My take: She played a cantankerous and hard woman that was fed up with the status quo. And she took her anger out on anyone that crossed paths with her. Just hoped to see a little more, another side of her. The conversation with Willoughby, when he tries to open up, proved it was more about a vendetta than solving the mystery. Shaming instead of solving problems.
Her and Rockwell were the reasons I went to go see it. I know she's talented. I guess we'll have to just disagree on the epicness of the performance.

Kong Wen wrote:This was a pretty good Oscars overall this year because each category was so damn strong. Dunkirk was amazing—one of my favourite movies of the year—but it had no chance at Best Picture, that's just how strong the field was. I absolutely adored Three Billboards, Lady Bird, and Get Out. The Shape of Water and Dunkirk were both great but settled just outside my Top 3. It's a nice change from some of the weaker fields in previous years.

Well said, I have to agree with you here.

---

Kong Wen wrote:I'm hoping to see Annihilation in cinema this weekend.

I hope you can! I'd like to hear your take on it.
Sakae Wu
Assistant

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:16 pm

Sakae Wu wrote:With McDormand, I know I'm in the minority with not being amazed by the performance. It wasn't that I thought she wasn't good, she was, I just didn't see the oscar coming. I think she has a very natural style that doesn't seem forced (as opposed to Rockwell who at times can be excessive like you noted).
My take: She played a cantankerous and hard woman that was fed up with the status quo. And she took her anger out on anyone that crossed paths with her. Just hoped to see a little more, another side of her. The conversation with Willoughby, when he tries to open up, proved it was more about a vendetta than solving the mystery. Shaming instead of solving problems.

I just thought she was quite realistic, and to be honest, I thought we did get to see the other side of her personality a few times. But she's a tough woman going through a tough time, so she's not going to let it out in front of just anyone--certainly not in front of the police chief, even if he's trying to be nice. She thinks she's doing what she has to do in order to get things moving, kind of like if you're trying to buy a used car, you know you need to keep up a certain wall around you to get what you want. :)

I thought her relationship with her kids was very real and tender. The scene with her daughter was hard to watch in retrospect, but in the moment it was that delicate tight-rope walk between hilarious banter and parenting. She has a few good scenes with her son, actually.

She also lets herself open up a little bit in the scene with the deer, when there's no one around. AND in the first interrogation scene, when the chief coughs up blood. She instantly lets her guard down in that scene. You know she cares about people. I think Willoughby knew that about her too, hence his hilarious tone in the letter he wrote to her.

One really small moment that maybe not a lot of people noticed, was before she did the thing she did at the police station (being cagey about spoilers here), she tries calling them on the phone a few times to make sure no one's there. You can see a bit of nervousness. She's not Rambo. And the way she says "ah f••• it" before she starts is her way of talking herself into it. Like she's on the edge of a precipice and she's building up the nerve. Stuff like this gives her a lot of depth that I appreciated.

I did have my share of problems with the movie, but they weren't really with McDormand. :)

---

As for the podcast, we're only a couple episodes in. Episode 1 is our normal chill discussion format. Episode 2 (the most recent one online now) is our Oscars predictions and breakdown. Episode 3 is going online this coming Monday (12 March) and it'll be our post-Oscars wrap-up. It's available on my personal site, and there's an iTunes link at the bottom of that page. It should also be available on iTunes and Google Play just by searching Plot Threads in podcasts.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:39 pm

Watched rom-com Bridget Jones Diary which I remembered from when I was younger but a member of my family hadn't watched. Is intresting now seeing what was seen as the fashions of the time, not a fan of "cringe moments" which this film has a few of but a nice sense of humour (though less of a comedy then I remembered), nice romances, very good leads and good supporting cast, was a nice evening watch.

=====

Watched Wonder Woman. Was obviously excited at one of DC's most iconic figures coming to big screen, Gal Gadot's character had been a shining light in Batman vs Superman, I wasn't keen on WW1 as the background but reviews were... "ok it is flawed but this is good, funny and charming." This film had a lot of pressure going into it as 1) DC badly badly needed a hit after two... controversial Superman films and Suicide Squad being a bit of a miss. Could DC afford yet another miss? 2) The first female superhero film for the modern generation. With a female director. While Supergirl and Jessica Jones seem to have been hits (and are two of the better superhero TV shows), the film universe of superheroes has not been good on gender equality. Marvel had been cowardly as we still don't have a female Marvel superhero film yet (I know Captain Marvel is coming but that is way too long), we have seen the scandals in the past of no Black Widow toys, the female love interests quietly getting ditched in Marvel, Suicide Squad accused of sexism, lack of female directors. Had this gone wrong, this would have set back chances of female lead superhero films for a long time.

My sister certainly appreciated such things as practical and appropriate costumes and clothing for the females (she didn't like Gadot's training gear but could see how that happened), a female baddie who isn't sexualised and of course having a female lead. We also appreciated the nice touch of showing Indian troops but the Native American character Napi (Eugene Brave Rock) felt very much a stereotype. It feel like Napi was added to make a point and they didn't really seem to think of anything other then the quiet stereotype

I wasn't a fan of Themyscira opening, it felt patchy, partly a focus on action which was alright at best, the sense of waiting for the film to get going, elements of the setup didn't quite click in the moment. My sister liked it well enough though and it did pick up when Steve Trevor turns up, the chemistry, humour and how they have created the dynamic shining early on. The first half of the film was strong, felt there was consequences and logic to people's actions, the villain scenes were nice enough, there were fun characters among Trevor's friends like the amusing secretary Etta (Lucy Davis) or the charmer Sameer (Saïd Taghmaoui) that created a nice camaraderie. There were intresting themes like intervention, sexism, human nature, the duo of Diana+Trevor held attention with her good heart, naivety brought by isolated upbringing but never stupid vs his weary expirence and a man damaged.

The second half loses something. It still has some good characters and chemistry that carries it along but that "actions have consequences" structure goes, it more feels like events happen and no need to worry about the implications anymore, it stops properly exploring themes. Some nice ideas involving Steve Trevor don't quite land due to errors in execution
major spoilers
his death scene delays too long so one is "get on with it" or his speech about human nature
, there are "I kind of wish you hadn't done that with WW1" moments, Wonder Woman's plan has a major logical flaw which nobody really tries to address till after the plan is done. There is the sadly inevitable go for long action ending which does not play into the strengths of the film and action was alright at best earlier, they do attempt to mix it up with other things but it isn't enough.

Villains are lacking somewhat. Ludendorff (Danny Huston) is nicely acted but thinly sketched while one wonders if a fictional general would have been better then their portrayal of a historical figure who rarely gets covered in western films, Isabel Maru (Elena Anaya) feels like she has a lot of potential and one or two good scenes but isn't properly developed. Got a distinctive look and felt Anaya made the most of what she was given but again it was underwritten role. The big bad is a (predictable) twist one
Ares (David Thewlis)
, they really needed to do much better job rebutting the big bad's beliefs/philosophy and went in a direction that didn't suit the cast members' strengths.

“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Sakae Wu wrote:Annihilation
I previously didn't have a solid opinion on Natalie Portman one way or the other but she was superb in this. Very talented actress in my opinion. Gina Rodriguez was also fantastic.
I had trouble with Jennifer Jason Leigh playing a cold, heartless megabitch but all in all she did a fine job.

I'm still trying to make sense of this film. So many surreal parts. One problem I had were some of the flashbacks and dialogue seemed to come way out of left field so to speak. But, I'm starting to think everything starts to add up in a roundabout way.
I'd definitely recommend if you like sci fi thrillers. I really enjoyed this one.
9/10

Edit: I forgot to mention the score in this movie, which was a huge part of the appeal for me. Intensely eerie and a little disturbing. Annihilation is like a field trip for the senses. The seats were actually vibrating during the final scenes. If you can't see this in a theater, I think it would lose some of that foreboding atmosphere.

I saw this last night. The latest hurricane-force nor'easter took out our power, so my brother-in-law and I took a dangerous blizzardy road trip up to the local cinema. I agree with your assessment overall. And like you, I'm still trying to make sense of the movie. Much like Lena's experience in the shimmer, I felt the film was equal parts nightmarish and beautiful.

I also agree with JJL being perhaps the least compelling/believable character, and with Portman putting in a great performance.

The crazy BWAAAAAM music in the scene at the end (you know the one) was just fantastic. I broke into a big smile when that started playing. Just a wonderfully-realized scene.

I'm definitely going to have to spend some time digesting this one.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:52 pm

While Wonder Woman bucked some trends, I caught the second half on TV the other night - I had seen it during its initial release - and the film is a sloppy mess. While I was able to buy into the mythos during first viewing, this time around I just couldn't suppress disbelief. There is one nice thread running through the movie on naivety and I liked the Gal Gadot/Chris Pine pairing and all the pro-sexual equality beats, but the rest of the movie just doesn't pan out as being better than your typical DC confusion-fest.

-----

Re-watched on accident the result of what would happen if they cast Ben Affleck in the Bourne series instead of Matt Damon, The Accountant. Affleck pays an accountant with a checkered past who grew up with high-functioning autism.

On first viewing I actually had trouble working out what was going on, the twist and turns in this spy-like caper can be pretty convoluted. Then there are things like our titular hero (I believe he only goes by aliases) doing some old couple's taxes and giving them the hook-up, then later just hanging out on their farm regularly to do some shooting practice, shoehorning in a furthering of the plot. Or the whole totally improbable twist ending - that I saw coming from a mile away. Or the CIA team head blackmailing a job applicant, who turns out to be a convict with a heart of gold, so he can see if she is fit to replace him, and has zero to do with the rest of the movie aside from one spurious link.

The underlying theme about an autism diagnosis not meaning a person is incomplete, just different is noble enough I suppose. But we get beat over the head with it in the movie's bookends, while Affleck rarely expresses any issues and instead seems to be a bit of a Jerky McJerkface who vaguely gets in a crimp when he can't finish something he started. The moral of the story seems to be, get in enough fights and you can accomplish anything.

And...just how do you give dramatic tension to someone with ridiculous abilities and no ties to the outside world?

Verdict: Popcorn muncher if you like spy stuff, everyone else should give it a pass.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:48 am

Kong Wen wrote:I saw this last night. The latest hurricane-force nor'easter took out our power, so my brother-in-law and I took a dangerous blizzardy road trip up to the local cinema. I agree with your assessment overall. And like you, I'm still trying to make sense of the movie. Much like Lena's experience in the shimmer, I felt the film was equal parts nightmarish and beautiful.

I also agree with JJL being perhaps the least compelling/believable character, and with Portman putting in a great performance.

The crazy BWAAAAAM music in the scene at the end (you know the one) was just fantastic. I broke into a big smile when that started playing. Just a wonderfully-realized scene.

I'm definitely going to have to spend some time digesting this one.

Nice, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I can't remember ever having to compose myself before pulling out of a movie theater parking lot. There was a young lady crying in the row behind me during the final scene. Which made me even more freaked out haha.

That's a good description btw...beautiful and horrifying at the same time.

There's quite a lot of discussion on Reddit also. A lot of theories being debated there which helped me understand certain aspects. I'm pretty sure there will be sequels as there are a couple more books in the series.

I was tempted to post a link to the Soundcloud of the ending music. But I think it's best if others experience it with the film. One of the more memorable scores that I can remember.
Sakae Wu
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:57 am

Zyzyfer wrote:While Wonder Woman bucked some trends, I caught the second half on TV the other night - I had seen it during its initial release - and the film is a sloppy mess. While I was able to buy into the mythos during first viewing, this time around I just couldn't suppress disbelief. There is one nice thread running through the movie on naivety and I liked the Gal Gadot/Chris Pine pairing and all the pro-sexual equality beats, but the rest of the movie just doesn't pan out as being better than your typical DC confusion-fest.

-----

I would agree the second half is a mess. I prefer the first half which feels more cohesive and logical (within the mythical aspects)
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Tried the Proposal which seemed nice enough but wasn't quite clicking and it's humour was "I can see how this would be funny but not quite landing." Tried Wakefield which has a really good premise (man hides in attic in garage and observes family reaction to his missing) but the male, Howard Wakefield (Bryan Cranston) is just an all round unlikeable jerk on so many levels. Using him to narrate other people scenes does not work at all. We tried La La Land and I was visually impressed by the way they made the bright colours and costumes in tribute to musicals past, songs weren't great, I was liking it well enough but sister wanted out so I may try by myself later. Tried Jane Austin book club and I just took against the characters straight away for some reason

=====

Watched comedy-drama Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. Premise: Greg Gaines (Thomas Mann) is someone who carefully keeps his distance from everyone at school, his only "co-worker" is Earl (RJ Cyler) and they make parodies of classic films. When fellow student Rachel Kushner (Olivia Cooke) gets leukaemia, Greg is sent to spend time with her by parents despite his protests.

The film has a sense of the surreal, using stop-motion animation at times, and a sense of humour both through the surreal and through Greg's defensive humour and narration. That humour and embrace of the weird works for it as do two of the three main cast, Greg grows into a likeable, humorous figure one can sympathise with and is the only figure that the film goes into depth on. Earl is kind of the "black best friend" particularly with the style of dialogue (though sister disagrees) and irritated me more then I enjoyed. They never go into depth with Rachel as a person, she can be defined as fairly smart, sense of humour and sick but works becuase of Olivia Cooke's strong performance, she and Mann have a strong friendship chemistry, it is easy to see why Rachel likes Greg though takes longer to see why Greg likes her particularly. That dynamic, the film's ability to create interesting scenes are a strength. General characterisation not so much, the people at schools and the parents are involved in good scenes but a lot aren't fleshed out.

It's treatment of illness is guilty of "pretty lady, remarkably clean and unravaged" but it generally avoids the traps of the genre. Rachel isn't a perfect lady and her mood will be different each day, the illness does have an impact on her but also on Greg, on her mother (Molly Shannon) in obvious but also more subtle ways, it takes it's toll on the three of them at different stages. While also showing the stupidity and insensitivity of those around them who think of the "correct" thing to do or say but not what Rachel and others need.

The end phase lacks a bit of spark, the surreal side fades away, it lands the big moment well but the aftermath feels heavy handed and making things too obvious

=====

Watched The Lego Batman Movie which I had heard good things about (including a pre wonder woman "best DCU movie"), my sister heard less good things and neither of us liked the trailers, we did like the Lego movie and their Batman. Starts with a big intro including a truly epic Batman song, lots of laughs and then it slows down before Robin (Michael Cera) turns up, had hated him in trailers but really shone here. Overall I find it funny and warm but a bit patchy, my sister was more of a fan.

Those who have seen the main Lego movie know the visual and voice-over quality, also the comedic arrogant loner Batman they have. As a Batman movie they have several iconic characters, a good Joker (Zach Galifianakis) that fits in extremely well, a lovely Robin, plenty of nods, a deliberate attempt to fit it in with past Batman films which leads to some excellent nods and jokes. Lacks a detective scene. As a comedy, it is a very amusing movie that doesn't feel like it is tearing apart Batman but simply affectionate teasing, giving a lot of laughs and I think even for those who know the bare minimum about Batman would get much enjoyment. As a superhero film, it has a fairly cohesive plot, the ability to bring hope and warm hearted themes, a group of core of characters like Alfred (Ralph Fiennes) and Barbara (Rosario Dawson) that form a good group, a villain that gets explored and fits into the theme though Harley Quinn (Jenny Slate) feels an inadvertent knock on the film's main theme due to how underutilised she is. It goes a bit too heavy on the action near end, though plenty of other stuff to enjoy in that end phase, but it has nods to about a million villains and I find that disrupts the film at some points as they try to give as many nods as they can.

Me: 6.5, Sis: 7.5

=====

Watched romance/drama The Big Sick. Premise: Kumail Nanjiani (played by himself) is an uber driver and wannabe stand up comedian whose mother (Zenobia Shroff) is trying to arrange a marriage. One night he is given a friendly heckle by Emily (Zoe Kazan) and they quickly begin a relationship (I think the title indicates one is about fall very ill :wink: )

The romance is possibly the weakest of the three strands, both members of the cast are good, both characters have a good laugh with each other but would have liked to have seen more of what is behind the relationship, some very good emotional pain scenes but I don't think there is a strong romantic chemistry. At times the film just slightly dips when it is those two on screen. Her parents (Holly Hunter and Ray Romano) are well built up, strong performances, there is humour and good sense of the little things of humanity including awkwardness, strain and anger. Kumail's family (played by Anupam Kher, Adeel Akhtar and Vella Lovell) is warm, likeable and there is bond between characters, again the eyes on small human foibles and strains, even the prospective partners come in and make a likeable impression.

It is a warm film but it also generally touches on gentle bigotry well. The unthinking sort of thing like only marrying a Pakistan lady or certain types of heckle, not from bad people but unthinking ones who just have an assumption. There was a danger with the Nanjiani family that it could get lessony or they could look really bad but they avoid that, the characters are balanced, the issues happen in a natural way, they acknowledge our lead can be a jerk. There is one speech where it is clear we are all meant to back the main guy but they do recover the situation later.

=====

Watched 2017 sci-fi/horror Life. Premise: The crew on the international space station receive probe from Mars that has an example of life. Under the care of Dr Hugh Derry (Ariyon Bakare), they begin to revive the life form.... I bet this ends well.

It did just enough to get a 6 but could easily have been 5.5. A good cast who did enough to make their scenes work but we didn't particularly care for the characters, though it had good production values including the monster. As a horror it lacks atmosphere, one or two effective kills but two times the plot relies heavily on amazing stupidity from the crew to keep things going, another time it feels like a scene has been cut that might make a passage of the film make actual sense
they expel atmosphere in the rooms apart from one they are in to make rest of ship unliveable but then freely go out into rest of the station?
. It is never scary or chilling or unsettling. The ending has really good ideas and for most part is well put together but awful pacing kills its effectiveness.

Both: 6.0
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:30 am

Noted that Dong Zhou mentioned watching Assassin's Creed several posts back, I attempted to watch it as well a month or two back. Never played the games or anything, but figured I'd watch it for Fassbender. Well one problem with living in Korea is that movies which are mainly in English but feature other languages in several scenes still only get Korean subtitles added. Sometimes the hard-coded English subs will even get covered up and blurred out. So all those scenes from the past totally went over my head. I liked the actors cast, but this film did nothing for me. Maybe actually knowing the world of the games would have helped.

-----

Recently watched Wilson which stars Woody Harrelson as the grumpy old-ish foul-mouthed titular character who seems to have his head stuck in the past. When he chances upon the discovery that his ex-wife Pippy (Laura Dern) has come back to town, it triggers a sequence of events that lead to self-reflection on his part and getting with the times.

Starts off great, Wilson is obliviously obnoxious to everyone he meets which creates some great cringe moments. And of course you can't have a two-hour character study for a film so the narrative has to come into play eventually. But I feel like Wilson loses a lot of steam at this point, Wilson goes from obnoxious to obnoxious but somehow insightful. It is a touching film despite being rough around the edges, but I feel like the first act clashes with acts 2 and 3.

I also read at least one review online which made Wilson out to be some sort of aging hipster, I get where the opinion might come from but I didn't see it myself except for a tiny handful of scenes involving technology rants.

Verdict: Good, not great, just pretty good.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub