Favorite Television Shows

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Favorite Television Shows

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:01 pm

I've recently watched all of Terrace House: Boys and Girls in the City on Netflix.

So the premise of Terrace House is much the same as Jersey Shore - let's take three guys and three girls, stick them in a house together, and see what happens. This show, however, is Japanese, so in terms of what actually happens it's basically the opposite of Jersey Shore. :lol: Instead of lots of yelling, fights, and sex everywhere, everyone is relatively quiet, polite, and nice to each other. I actually like watching Jersey Shore with my wife, because the people there are so far away from anything I could ever be, that it's actually really interesting. This show is also interesting because it includes a look at a different culture and how they act and deal with each other; the people also seem much more my speed because of the lack of fistfights and clubs and all that. Despite that this would normally be classified as a "reality show" (with all the fakeness that tends to go into such things), I'm actually mostly convinced that they were not given scripts or "suggested" things they should do - particularly by one event that I don't want to spoil right near the end of the series.

So from what I gathered, the show has run in Japan before, and this is a"sequel" of sorts that was put on by Netflix - Netflix has recently added quite a number of Asian series and TV shows, so I imagine this is continuing the trend. Anyway, the show has 6 hosts as well, who butt in at the start and in the middle of each episode to give their thoughts and talk about it. Jersey Shore has no such equivalent, and I actually rather like it, as they all give different perspectives on it and you get some new thoughts besides your own. One other thing is that people come and go rather frequently in the house, and so you have something of a rotating cast of characters; but it doesn't bother me at all.

So for the most part, most of them are there (from what they say) because they think it would be an interesting and exciting experience. Most also have no significant other, so if they happen to stumble onto some kind of relationship along the way, that's just a nice plus, although a few were obviously hoping for something to happen for them. There's enough tension and conflict going on to keep you interested even if the cultural aspect doesn't do it for you, and obviously you end up rooting for some and scorning others (much like the hosts, though in a more neutral way). :lol:

Anyway, it's a show I've liked quite a bit, and I'm now watching the Netflix sequel to this one; which is subtitled "Aloha State" - with a primarily Japanese cast still, but just in Hawaii instead of Japan.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:17 pm

Saw Man In High Castle season 2 in non UHD becuase I swear it wasn't there when I started and only found it on prime afterwards. It started slowly and badly, it's big twist didn't click for me
The Man in High Castle himself (Stephen Root) annoyed me,
, the three lower half characters (Frank, Joe, Juliana) were still annoying while this time the likes of Joe Smith ie the higher ups aren't quite so fascinating. There are strands that work
Inspector in the bar trying to persuade the general, Dr Adler and his fate, Juliana and her medical
and Nicole Dörmer (Bella Heathcote) has some flair but generally it is a lot of things not clicking.

Yet after the painful set up, it does come together and begin to click, the stories have been set up and it is enjoyable watching them unfold, Joe and Juliana are integrated with the higher up characters and for the first time become intresting figures (more Juliana then Joe) themselves. You got the good mix of politics (both regimes and opposition) and personal, romances, little touches that make the world so different from our own. The Trade Minister has the best storyline once it gets going and it provides something different. The last two episodes are very strong with some good twists and emotional punches.

The one bit that doesn't work is Frank. There is some good story stuff and some of the characters around him are great to watch but Frank is a drain of joy, he is such an annoying character that it hindered scenes he was in.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:05 pm

The Last Kingdom is back tonight! I'm not sure how I'm feeling about it as they made a bit of a mess of Season 1 IMO but book 3 which is what this is based on is my favourite in the series so this is the chance for them to redeem it!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to The Pub