Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States

Yes, completely legal to everyone
27%
Yes but with restrictions
33%
No, not at all
39%
None of the above
1%

Total votes : 93

Unread postby Book of Faith » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:10 pm

phenomenal17 wrote:It's not a question of giving them the option, but instead, a question of taking the option away. The government doesn't grant rights- it provides for the security to use rights. In so doing, certain rights are sometimes taken away in the name of preserving more important freedoms, for ensuring the the health of the governed, and for meeting any other needs the governed might have. Taking away someone's right to smoke weed doesn't serve any essential purpose of government. It might be better for people not to smoke marijuana, but it's also better for people not to eat french fries. However, while we allow people to be responsible for their own well-being wherever french fries are concerned, we don't allow the same freedom for marijuana use. The only reason the government might have for restricted marijuana use is that people who use it might be more inclined the endanger the well-being of others. If that's the case, penalties could be assigned to people who get high and drive, for example, and those penalties could be equal to current penalties handed out just for possession.

Right now, smoking marijuana isn't a legal option, so legalizing would be giving people the option.

I don't think, however, that people tend to get stoned and go rob banks or kill people or anything like that. In my experience, people usually follow pot consumption with things that don't require a lot of action- video games, listening to music, watching TV, whatever. If anything, those under the influence of weed are less likely to do anything harmful to other people. To be honest, I think the best argument against legalization is that smoking it makes people lazy, but people are already lazy. Besides, legalizing it probably wouldn't increase the use that much.

I've always been taught that marijuana can make people do some pretty crazy things, but if it truly is harmless, then I don't have a problem with it.
Book of Faith
Langzhong

Unread postby phenomenal17 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:56 pm

Well, yes, it is illegal now, but not that long ago it was legal. The right was stripped away- legalizing it would be restoring our freedom to exercise a right that had the security of its free use destroyed by government legislation. I don't really believe in the idea of natural rights or anything- I don't think people have a right to do Action A and thus no right to do Action B. In a natural state, they could do either at will. For the sake of protecting our freedom to be able to do certain important actions (speak freely, for example), we forfeit the freedom to do certain things that aren't as important. As a result, to me, we shouldn't think of the marijuana debate as a question of giving people the right to smoke pot, but of taking it away versus preserving it. Practically speaking, the difference isn't that big a deal. That's just the way I approach this sort of thing, so that's why I discussed it the way I did.

At any rate, marijuana can make people do crazy things- marijuana (and probably other things) made the Beatles create Revolver- but it's just that, in my experience, those things aren't crazy in a dangerous way. Crack, on the other hand... well, that's another story entirely.
...brevity can never, in the nature of things, do justice to all the facts of a complex situation.

-Aldous Huxley
phenomenal17
Sage

Unread postby Justin » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:25 pm

I don't think the government should be in the business of selling weed, but I think it should be dicriminilized. People shouldn't goto jail for having paraphenalia only. Selling large amounts of weed well I'm still up in the air about it. People need a distribution source but what does this money go for? It all depends on where this drug money ends up.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:57 pm

Justin wrote:I don't think the government should be in the business of selling weed, but I think it should be dicriminilized. People shouldn't goto jail for having paraphenalia only. Selling large amounts of weed well I'm still up in the air about it. People need a distribution source but what does this money go for? It all depends on where this drug money ends up.

The US government doesn't sell weed but it does give it away for free.
There used to be a federal program where people that qualify get sent care packages of weed every monthy for their ailments.The program has been shut down but there are still 4 people still on it who still receive their monthly supply of weed from the government and will continue to do so until the day they die.

It was on Penn & Teller: Bull****.They interviewed one of the guys and had a shot of him smoking a joint in front of the White House.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby sivie » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:00 pm

I think if someone wants to get wabed then let them, i have never known anyone who smokes weed to to die of it though most i know are paranoid and a bit on the special side if you know what i mean

so what i'm trying to say is that if it doesn't kill you huf it
sivie
Apprentice

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:28 pm

I think yes, to the age of 18, but there would still be laws like with alcohol for not being high in public.
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Omega52 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:51 am

No.

I have lost 2 people in the past year because they were high.

It is but another drug, all drugs should be banned from the US, except for those used in ceremonies (I.E, drinking Sake when getting your black belt)
"I mistrust the judgement of every man in a case in which his own wishes are concerned."- Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley
Omega52
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States?

Unread postby lessthanpleased » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:54 pm

football11f wrote:As for economic reasons why, the result of legalized Marijuana would be an America with a bunch of druggies who don’t work and live of Welfare. That mean higher taxes for the people who are smart enough not to take dope and actually work along with a larger parasitic dependency class. The public health would go way way way way way way WAY down and therefore Medicare costs would go way way way way way WAY up! Plus the life expectancy would go down along with our cities. You think our inner cities are bad now.

Citations of studies, please. Every intuition I have about marijuana, and every experience I've had with someone who regularly smokes it is quite the opposite. Every major study that I've read by a scientist or psychiatrist says that opposite. So, before spreading neo-conservative propaganda any moreso than has already been done, I would like to see studies that corroborate your accusations.

Furthermore, those countries that have legalized marijuana and taxed it have very few problems. Of course, legalizing marijuana would be tantamount to admitting that the Republican "War on Drugs" was a mistake, something that most studies that I have read agree with.

I think it's funny that a neoconservative like football11f would disagree with this, and that someone as liberal as myself would agree: traditionally, its the libertarian party that supports this, and liberals who oppose the legalization of drugs.

Legalizing marijuana would be a great move: it would put less of a burden on the criminal justice system, as well as free up prison space. Additionally, the tariffs and taxes gained from selling marijuana would certainly ease the budget and, possibly, help fund tax cuts.

I'm in a bit of a hurry right now, so I'll post some statistics for everyone later.
lessthanpleased
Love Swami

Unread postby Erdrick » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:45 am

Legal, with similar restrictions as tobacco and alcohol- must be 18/21, can't operate heavy machinery, can't smoke in a non-smoking location, etc...

Marijuana is actually not addictive, unless taken in massive doses. I did a report/debate on this, and the NSA, (read, the government- National Science Foundation), did a study in the '90s. The addiction process is enacted when the amount to trigger the (same) reaction is increased. For example, if you need to smoke a 5% THC joint, (I am making up the percentages for the example...), to get you high threshold, after so long, you would need a 10% THC joint, and so on... However, the study (and its follow-up), found that unless you got a massive hit, the body did not adapt to the stimulus, and only the same amount was required to get the high. People may like it, but people also like to stop by the bar and "have a few", and that's perfectly legal, even though they're going to be driving home... :?

I've known several people who use marijuana, and live next to the Hash Bash capital, Ann Arbor, (1st Saturday of April, Mary Jane is legally smoked on U of M campus; don't recall any ambulances working- just sitting there), and guess what? No one's died, been to the emergency room, or the like. The worst thing? Serious munchies. The ones who quit didn't have any problems; the occasional craving, but that's it. Now, I've never had a joint myself, (I think a contact high once- had to walk through Hash Bash to get to work, and did feel a bit giddy and a serious hankering for some chicken curry, (I was working at a Thai Restaurant then), but that's it), so I can't get into a personal story.

But frankly, its doesn't do as much damage as alcohol or tobacco, but its illegal. Either legalize it, (and hell yes, slap a "sin-tax" on it), & regulate it, or criminalize alcohol and tobacco, "for the common good". (And I do remember the 18th and 21st Amendments, as well as the time between them... part of my point.)
Erdrick
Sage

Unread postby football11f » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:36 pm

I have changed my opinion on the legalization of Marijuana in this thread, however a large tax on it is a must. What I don't want to see is what happened to the Swiss when they legalized all drugs. That turned out to be a disaster, the druggies came out into the open, parks became dumps for AID's infected needles and poverty was rampant. A light drug like Marijuana should be legalised, a heavier drug like Coke, Crack, Heroine, Ketamine, Acid and others liek those should continue to be illegal and those laws should be enforced.
football11f
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs