Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States

Yes, completely legal to everyone
27%
Yes but with restrictions
33%
No, not at all
39%
None of the above
1%

Total votes : 93

Unread postby Humble Fisherman » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:31 pm

I'm deeply sorry for bringing up a sore point.

That's litterally the first time I've ever heard of anything like that, though.
"He who thinks he has no faults has one"
Humble Fisherman
Langzhong

Unread postby Exar Kun » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:46 pm

football11f wrote:Just think though about how many new people would smoke it if it was legal and if there was no punishment associated with it. Like tobacco marijuana is a suicide tool and I believe there is a law against suicide. Alcohol can be used safely however marijuana cannot. Marijuana kills a lot faster than tobacco to.

How about some proof?
There's absolutely NO evidence,other than TV propaganda,that shows that weed can kill you or evcen cause worse health effects than smoking.
I'm sorry your friend died but he was probably alergic to it,or more likely it was laced with something bad.

I know tons of people who 'burn the chalice' and nothing bad happens to them.
Maybe because there're so many rastafari here in Trinidad.You mess with a rasta weed you soon gonna be messin with rasta blade. :lol:

And there most likely would not be this flood of people wanting to smoke weed.Those who want to smoke weed already do,they're not really concerned by anything like legality.
And to be honest,hitting one spliff is actually kinda good for you.I know of tests done by people who play Tekken and they say one actually heightens your cocentration.Another guy I know used to light one up before he started studying to heighten his focus.He ended up with straight As when he wrote his GCE Advanced 'Level exams.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Stedfel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:49 pm

What I am saying is that alcohol CAN be used safely. Marijuana CANNOT be used safely. You could drink a bottle of beer and not have the chance of dying, unlike marijuana where every smoke could be your last.

I know many who don't smoke Mary Jane simply because it is illegal and there are punishments for smoking it. Even with a high tax people will still find ways to get it. Consider this.

Marijuana seller isn't getting much buisiness because of the high taxes on Marijuana. So, he decides to give a kid a free trial. The kid smokes it and is addicted and needs more. The kid finds numerous ways to get the money and smoke it.

Or the kid would just go to the illegal drug dealers to get a cheaper deal.

Alcohol CAN NOT be used safely. Ever heard of your liver or you esophogos? Alcohol slowly destroys these, eventually causing death or massive irreversible damage. And one drink can kill you, that has happened before.
Of course there are people who don't smoke because it is illegal, but there are people who smoke it just for that reason, like my Step-Father, when he was younger, used drugs because they were illegal.
That scenario is possible, but if they have designated places when it is legalized, that probably won't happen. There won't be many illegal drug dealers left.

It's valid because it what happened to one of my best friends. After 2 uses of marijuana he died. It only took 2 uses of that **** marijuana to kill one of my best friends who was a very healthy person. I despise the drug and am crying as I am writing this. It can kill you quckly or it can kill you over a long period of time. My friend was killed in a very short period of time.

Are you positive that it was marijuana that killed him. A lot of druggies use more than one drug at a time. He also could have had an allergic reaction.
Some people who do other drugs after they start to do marijuana, and those could have killed him. Show me a doctor's report proving that marijuana, and it was specifically just the drug itself, that killed him.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu He » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:24 pm

football11f wrote:It's valid because it what happened to one of my best friends. After 2 uses of marijuana he died. It only took 2 uses of that **** marijuana to kill one of my best friends who was a very healthy person. I despise the drug and am crying as I am writing this. It can kill you quckly or it can kill you over a long period of time. My friend was killed in a very short period of time.

I'm sure sorry for your friend -- but you should probably take the time to do some thorough research so that you can come to the realization that your friend *clearly* had other issues going on, or the stuff that he was smoking/eating/otherwise using was NOT only "Marijuana".

Actually, objective scientific research here in the United States and in other countries, gathered at various times over the last 70 years, shows Marijuana is FAR safer than alcohol or tobacco. It is, in fact, physically IMPOSSIBLE to overdose by smoking Marijuana, as the worst effect of smoking too much is that you will become extremely lethargic and need a good long nap.

The only objective research that has been performed has shown any ill-effects on human beings is on adolescents. Studies have shown that the effects of marijuana on the adolscent brain can cause some ADD-like effects. These same studies show that these effects do NOT occur in fully developed adult LONG-TERM (ie. longer than 5+ years, and more than 1 a week) users. Not even in ONE of them.

Actually, you can find several references to "studies" that have been performed that are constantly trumpeted by DARE, or the DEA, or U.S. Drug Czar, but it turns out that on careful analysis, either the RESULTS of these studies are broadly misinterpreted for the use of anti-drug propaganda, or the studies themselves lack a grounding in the scientific method, and are thusly useless as tools for research.

If you are truly concerned about dangerous drugs, then educate yourself and learn about the truly dangerous substances: Alcohol, tobacco, cocaine, heroin, crystal methamphetamines, and the like. Marijuana is not necessarily "good" (although it has several scientifically established medical, and psychological benefits in many people), but it is FAR from being as harmful as the other substances that I have listed. In fact, Marijuana is not even physically addictive (although it CAN be PSYCHOLOGICALLY addictive -- but this depends on an individual being susceptible to psychological addiction. These people should not drink alcohol, smoke tobacco, or otherwise either -- they have addictive personalities).

Unlike tobacco, individuals who stop using Marijuana show no signs of physical withdrawal, although people who are prone to alcoholism, etc. do show signs of psychological distress, as I note in the paranthetical statement above.

As for the long term effects of Marijuana, well -- you are clearly fairly sheltered, or merely ignorant of the habits of your fellows in the world. I know MANY (greater than a dozen) individuals older than 60 years of age who use Marijuana on a 3-5 times per week basis, and not only enjoy fabulous health, but also look VERY good for their ages.

In fact, among this group of individuals who I know intimately, there are 14. Among them, one individual is 60, and had cancer in the uterus over 15 years ago, and has been spotlessly healthy ever since. This individual stopped using regularly 20 years ago.

The other 13 are still REGULAR users (at least 3 times a week), and have had NO health issues, other than one person who has certain, fairly common food allergies, and another person, who deals with high cholesterol.

Not only is the anecdotal evidence that I have been witnessing for DECADES of personal observation against you, but also the vast body of scientific research available in the United States, Canada, and Western Europe.

I'd also like to note that among those 13 individuals, one of them is one of the top satelite communications engineers in the United States, another is a retired Material Engineer from Martin Lockheed, who counts among his various spectacular achievements the design and manufacturing supervision of a number of components for projects such as the Hubble Telescope... a telecommunications engineer who has spent the last 20 years optimizing and improving the Central Offices that route calls from literally thousands of switches each day (each switch handling literally 10s of thousands of calls each day), a registered nurse who has been saving lives for decades, etc.

Basically, you need to be careful to understand the real facts surrounding this topic before you draw a kneejerk conclusion based on the tragic experience of your friend.

Your friends' experience would be quite literally the very FIRST that has EVER been FACTUALLY documented as being caused because of Marijuana IF this is the case -- as I have cause to severely doubt.

In any case, I hope that you will take the time to research this topic and learn more about the real effects of marijuana on the human body, instead of simply believing that Marijuana is in the same category as cocaine and heroin, simply because that is what you have been told.

Good luck, and take care.
Liu He
Student

Unread postby Liu He » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:27 pm

Stedfel wrote: Some people who do other drugs after they start to do marijuana, and those could have killed him. Show me a doctor's report proving that marijuana, and it was specifically just the drug itself, that killed him.

I also wanted to point out that the latest research shows that Marijuana is NOT a gateway drug. Statistically, users of marijuana are no more likely to move on to hard drugs (such as cocaine, heroin, meth, etc.) than individuals who have NEVER used marijuana.

This is NOT, however, true of alcohol. There is a SIGNIFICANT boost in the number of users of alcohol who move on to use hard drugs (cocaine, heroin, meth, etc.).

Just wanted to point out yet another fallacy -- Marijuana is no more a "gateway drug" than aspirin. Unlike alcohol.
Liu He
Student

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:37 pm

Marijuana should be legalized for medical and prescription purposes only. I don't care if the government could benefit on the taxation of the drug. I don't think it should be fully legalized just so the gov't can make a buck. To be quite frank, I'm surprised a good capitalist like football11f isn't in marijuana's corner, given the economic benefits it could bring to big corporations.

And about the marijuana-related death, I would say it was either an issue of it not being normal stuff, or of him having some kind of unpredictable allergy or something. Sorry to hear it.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby football11f » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:45 pm

And about the marijuana-related death, I would say it was either an issue of it not being normal stuff, or of him having some kind of unpredictable allergy or something. Sorry to hear it.

It probuably did have something else in it. It happened after his second smoke of Mary Jane.

I'm surprised a good capitalist like football11f isn't in marijuana's corner, given the economic benefits it could bring to big corporations.

I put quality of life over corporations.

If you are truly concerned about dangerous drugs, then educate yourself and learn about the truly dangerous substances: Alcohol, tobacco, cocaine, heroin, crystal methamphetamines, and the like.

I'll take that advice and look into all of those drugs, including Marijuana. I won't post again until I have!
football11f
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iain » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:44 am

Marijuana should never be legalized, it impairs your judgement just like Alcohol does. A person behind the wheel of a car after smoking up may think he is quite fine and even feeling better but their reflexes and decision making are affected maybe by only a few fractions of a second and in the instance between hitting someone and not a fraction of a second reaction time can be very important.

I also object to the fact that if it was legal that people on the streets could be smoking this crap and affecting my air if I travel near them, sorry to say but someone smoking cigs near me will not get me high, someone with a joint is another matter though.

Kids they call it Dope for a reason...Ask Ross Rebagliati Canadian gold medalist if it was worth all the stress losing his medal? That ruling was overturned later but theres still the public embarrassment.
http://classic.mountainzone.com/olympic ... 2-12a.html
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Exar Kun » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:47 am

DynastyIain wrote:Marijuana should never be legalized, it impairs your judgement just like Alcohol does. A person behind the wheel of a car after smoking up may think he is quite fine and even feeling better but their reflexes and decision making are affected maybe by only a few fractions of a second and in the instance between hitting someone and not a fraction of a second reaction time can be very important.

I also object to the fact that if it was legal that people on the streets could be smoking this crap and affecting my air if I travel near them, sorry to say but someone smoking cigs near me will not get me high, someone with a joint is another matter though.

Like I said,one joint is more likely to enhance your focus than kill it.
And the general argument is such,if alcohol is worse and is legela,why can't weed be legal too?

I also would hate people dropping second hand smoke on me but just like with tobacco,it's something you have to live with.Marijuana isn't bad enough that it needs to be illicit.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Book of Faith » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:15 am

I'm at a bit of a loss. We already have one substance that impairs judgement, often times causing death(alchohol), yet we want to add another, knowing that thousands die while intoxicated every year from the already legal substance?

I'm not really buying that statement about judgement or focus enhancement from 'Mary-J', but I suppose someone could clue me in on that(I've always heard the vice versa, so you'll excuse my ignorance).
Last edited by Book of Faith on Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Book of Faith
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs