Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States

Yes, completely legal to everyone
27%
Yes but with restrictions
33%
No, not at all
39%
None of the above
1%

Total votes : 93

Re: Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States?

Unread postby James » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:54 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:Yea, I have mixed feelings on the issue. For one, and to be clear, public defenders are an actual salaried position. So what we're speaking of here is individual attorneys taking on pro-bono cases. I certainly think if we had something of such a nature, looking at income levels may be a decent starting point as the point you make is valid. Flipside is some of the best paid attorneys are the best paid because they either work an insane amount of hours or manage individuals who do. So making them take time out of their schedule to complete mandatory hours will not sit well.

Personally I look at it as a moral matter of social obligation to give back.

I certainly wouldn't expect it to sit well with lawyers such as the one's you're describing above. My first thought reading, though, is that the best paid lawyers are bringing in an amount of money which could be used to museum rooms, and it doesn't seem much reason to exempt them from such a social service. That said, however such a thing was structured, it should be such that time management allows for the lawyer to continue representing their clients.

In the completely hypothetical scenario that such a thing became common place (I expect it wouldn't/couldn't) I would be astonished if constructs like a buy-out didn't exist. Which in turn could be used to buy 'pro-bono' work, which in turn would dilute the concept. When ideas are leveled against reality they seem less interesting.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:53 pm

In recent reading came across a PewResearch article on the subject of the United States population and its shifting attitude toward the War on Drugs and related law enforcement.

America’s New Drug Policy Landscape
Two-Thirds Favor Treatment, Not Jail, for Use of Heroin, Cocaine

"The American public appears ready for a truce in the long-running war on drugs: 67% say the government should focus more on providing treatment for those who use illegal drugs such as heroin and cocaine, while just 26% think the government’s focus should be on prosecuting drug users. And nearly two-to-one say it is a good thing, not a bad thing, that some states have moved away from mandatory sentences for non-violent drug offenders."
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:09 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:

On the right/left thing of right encouraging social obligation and voluntary codes vs the left wanting legalisation, I find myself on the left. It's noble that you wish to do the right thing and want others to do the same, I just don't believe enough will undertake it without the big stick.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States?

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:42 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
Shikanosuke wrote:

On the right/left thing of right encouraging social obligation and voluntary codes vs the left wanting legalisation, I find myself on the left. It's noble that you wish to do the right thing and want others to do the same, I just don't believe enough will undertake it without the big stick.

I agree it wouldn't. The same as I agree with the idea that the government taking care of charity (ie welfare) vs expecting private charity (as conservative ideology would have it). But not on this matter, mostly because it dictates personal economic choices and specifically targets a small demographic. That is different than a tax which we all pay.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:50 pm

I have sympathy with the objection that one profession gets hit in such a manner is unfair but the justice system is so important, a difference between life and death in America, it might just have to be a hit they take. I would consider other professions (medical perhaps?) for such treatment if it would make it fairer but I'm not sure there is an equivalent
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby laojim » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:29 pm

I have a lot of sympathy for the proposition that all drugs should be legalized. Making them illegal has accomplished absolutely nothing. Marijuana was criminalized in the thirties and is still readily available for anyone who wants it, except for the vast number of people held in prison for the crime of possession of a plant that I get legally. The war on drugs, that Nixon started, has been long lost. Drugs won.

Solution? I say legalize it all. Let the feds handle all the cocaine and opium giving it away to anyone who wants it. There are no effective treatments for most addicts so why harass them? People with opiate accition can function well enough in life as long as their addiction is supplied. The cocaine heads will simply take more and more of the stuff until they poison themselves. Problem solved in a grim sort of way.

It's sad, but there is no evicence that throwing people into prison does anything for them.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:18 am

I agree! I'm against a nanny state that tried to protect people from themselves. I think they should only protect people from others. The fact that most drugs (and prostitution) are illegal while bullying remains protected by the 1st Amendment is absolutely disgusting.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:59 pm

I agree! I'm against a nanny state that tried to protect people from themselves. I think they should only protect people from others. The fact that most drugs (and prostitution) are illegal while bullying remains protected by the 1st Amendment is absolutely disgusting.

I agree with you up to where you hit bullying. That argument is rather gray, there's no clear sense of right and wrong in that situation. What is seen as bullying to some might not be bullying to others. Of course, that's really as gray as it gets, there are many cases where it is pretty much cut and dry.

The drugs is also something else, I agree that Weed should be made legal, and that the war on drugs has pretty much failed, but...

The hardcore crap needs to stay illegal, not use, but production and (sometimes) possession. Things like Meth or Acid. Extreme hallucinogens that might drive people to harm others.
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:20 am

FoxWithWings wrote:I agree with you up to where you hit bullying. That argument is rather gray, there's no clear sense of right and wrong in that situation. What is seen as bullying to some might not be bullying to others. Of course, that's really as gray as it gets, there are many cases where it is pretty much cut and dry.

Uh, what?

The issue of bullying hasn't been grey in literally years. Bullies have gotten so bad that it has led to suicide, and the bullies need to be held accountable. This is about as black and white an issue as you can get.

I can say, as a victim of bullying, verbal abuse can often do far more damage than physical abuse. That was certainly the case with me. If I could go back and murder everyone who bullied me, without getting punished, I would. I'd do it, have no regrets, and be much happier.

The fact that there is little to nothing a person can legally do against bullies, and that often teachers take bullies' sides because of their popularity, means that we have no recourse currently. That is wrong. That is black and white.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby laojim » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:04 am

FoxWithWings wrote:
..... Things like Meth or Acid. Extreme hallucinogens that might drive people to harm others.

Harm others? Neither meth nor acid is commonly linked to waves of violent outbursts. Alcohol is famous for getting people to fight for no good reason. Most of the violence associated with other drugs is a direct product of the illegality of the drug which makes it, among other things, expensive. To raise the money all sorts of crimes are commonly committed. I'd rather support drug habits with taxes than to support it through burglary and so on.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs