Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States

Yes, completely legal to everyone
27%
Yes but with restrictions
33%
No, not at all
39%
None of the above
1%

Total votes : 93

Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States?

Unread postby football11f » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:50 pm

I searched the first 10 pages of this forum and found nothing on this.

Your thoughts on this simple question: Should marijuana be legal in the United States?

Another topic which is surprisingly debatable is making marijuana legal in the United States. I don’t know what crazy druggie first came up with this but it seems some people actually listened to him/her. Hmmm, I wonder why Marijuana shouldn’t be illegal.

What, 16% of ninth graders break the law already and smoke pot so, if they are going to do it anyway, why stop them? People who want to do it do it anyway so why not legalize it and allow production of “safe” dope? I seriously cannot believe how crazy that talk is. Could you imagine, FDA approved dope?

This Mary Jane is approved by the Federal Drug Association and is safer to take than other forms. Enjoy!

Wow. And I can see dope commercials joining the crazy cigarette ones. Here’s the first commercial from Columbian Love, the first dope company.

Columbian Love is having its Valentines Day sale. We are slashing prices on our fabulous original flavored Columbian sweet along with our new Columbian surprise where you get other cuts in you pot. Francis here got a little Coke in his. Oh look, Mary over there got some acid, look at her face! We will never have this sale again so get to your nearest dope house right now!

How about an add to encourage kids to become druggies?

50 Cent: Yo yo, wut up dawgs? I am THE 50 Cent, ya kno’ the guy that all ya bro’s and sistas listen to? Ya well I got something for ya little gangstas. What is it?

Stuffed Moose: Hey kids, this is Columbian Love, good stuff.

50 Cent: What does it do?

Stuffed Moose: Well, it makes ya feel really good and really awesome. It is as you younginns would say “Cool”

50 Cent: Ya’ll heard it from the Moose dawgs. Try Columbian Love. I guarantee you that after one try you will be unable to put this stuff down… literally.

Alright, time to get serious. The point is that drugs have already destroyed friendships, families, communities and people. Does anyone know a non-tobacco/ alcohol drug user who is over 60? 50? 40? There are not many. Marijuana, like all other drugs can and will kill you. It is illegal right now for a reason. Marijuana is a suicide tool and leads to a slow, painful demise and death.

Already to many are illegally doing dope. The current number would triple if dope was illegal. The fact that it is illegal and that there is punishment keeps many off it.

As for economic reasons why, the result of legalized Marijuana would be an America with a bunch of druggies who don’t work and live of Welfare. That mean higher taxes for the people who are smart enough not to take dope and actually work along with a larger parasitic dependency class. The public health would go way way way way way way WAY down and therefore Medicare costs would go way way way way way WAY up! Plus the life expectancy would go down along with our cities. You think our inner cities are bad now.
football11f
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bricks » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:38 pm

Economic wise it would be the same as it is now. For kids who do weed, it is considered "cool" because it is illegal. I think it should be legalized for people with health related problems.
Hit the clutch,
Hit the gear,
Hit the gas,
And I'm gone...
Bricks
Langzhong

Unread postby Exar Kun » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:52 am

Bricks wrote:Economic wise it would be the same as it is now. For kids who do weed, it is considered "cool" because it is illegal. I think it should be legalized for people with health related problems.

Actually economic wise,it'd be good for the government since they can tax the hell outta it.

Everyone should just do like the Dutch.They have the perfect solution for it.At the very least de-criminalising marijuana would mean that it would be a safer product you're taking,it wouldn't be laced with anything.

The dangers of drinking outweigh weed and tobacco is just as bad if not worse.The only difference is that the power of corporate America is behind tobacco and not weed.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Famed Hero » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:04 am

Exar Kun wrote:
Bricks wrote:Economic wise it would be the same as it is now. For kids who do weed, it is considered "cool" because it is illegal. I think it should be legalized for people with health related problems.

Actually economic wise,it'd be good for the government since they can tax the hell outta it.

Exactly what I was going to say when I read the title, I've said the same thing to many people. I the gov't put a serious tax on this they could make some big bucks and please many people by legalising it. Heck they could put filters on it and sell them like cigarettes, Marlboro Greens anyone? :lol:
Saint Joan of Arc, Pray for us!
Famed Hero
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby football11f » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:38 am

Just think though about how many new people would smoke it if it was legal and if there was no punishment associated with it. Like tobacco marijuana is a suicide tool and I believe there is a law against suicide. Alcohol can be used safely however marijuana cannot. Marijuana kills a lot faster than tobacco to.
football11f
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stedfel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:23 pm

First off, I believe that Marijuana should be legal. Quite a few peopl just do it because it is illegal, sort of the same way as underage drinking in my opinion. Also, in agreement with previous posts, you could tax it so much only a few people could afford it. I believe there should be some restrictions. (age, specified buying locations, etc. etc. etc.) And on the marijuana kills people and alcohol can be used safely, I would like to present this:
Tobacco (Average 1990 - 94): ................................. 430,700
Alcohol (1996): ................................................. 110,640
Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs (1982 / 1998): .. 32,000
Suicide (1998): .................................................. 30,575
Homicide (1998): ............................................... 18,272
All licit and illicit drug-induced deaths (1998): ............. 16,926
Non-Steroidal Anti- Inflammatory Drugs (1992):............ 7,600
Marijuana: ...................................................... 0

Taken from: http://www.reconsider.org/issues/public ... eaths_.htm
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby football11f » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:52 pm

What I am saying is that alcohol CAN be used safely. Marijuana CANNOT be used safely. You could drink a bottle of beer and not have the chance of dying, unlike marijuana where every smoke could be your last.

I know many who don't smoke Mary Jane simply because it is illegal and there are punishments for smoking it. Even with a high tax people will still find ways to get it. Consider this.

Marijuana seller isn't getting much buisiness because of the high taxes on Marijuana. So, he decides to give a kid a free trial. The kid smokes it and is addicted and needs more. The kid finds numerous ways to get the money and smoke it.

Or the kid would just go to the illegal drug dealers to get a cheaper deal.
football11f
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Humble Fisherman » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:19 pm

A Canadian conservative think tank (the Fraser Institute) came out with a report recently stating that Marijuana should be legal for economic reasons.

Their rationale was that if Marijuana was legalized and taxed, it would add approx. $2 Billion in annual revenue. It would also, they argue, save police budgets money that is spent on prosecuting marijuana violations, and handicap organized crime by denying them revenue, and undermining illegal marijuana grow operations.

The link to the report is Here

As for 'Each puff could kill you' - I have to say, I've never seen any kind of evidence that would suggest that's the case. I've also never heard of anyone actually dying as a direct result of marijuana use.

Can anyone give more info on why such a statement would be valid?
"He who thinks he has no faults has one"
Humble Fisherman
Langzhong

Unread postby football11f » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:23 pm

It's valid because it what happened to one of my best friends. After 2 uses of marijuana he died. It only took 2 uses of that **** marijuana to kill one of my best friends who was a very healthy person. I despise the drug and am crying as I am writing this. It can kill you quckly or it can kill you over a long period of time. My friend was killed in a very short period of time.
football11f
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SYL » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:43 pm

Repeated marijuana use can lead to brain damage, usually manifesting in short-term memory loss. It can also trigger schizophrenia, but only very rarely will it actually kill you. It sounds like your friend had some sort of massive allergic reaction to it, because it's generally not a killer, either short or long term (unless you're a serious chronic smoker of it). I'm truly sorry for your friend, though.

I agree with the way the Dutch run things. Let people do it if they want, in a specified place, and charge/tax them on it. The Netherlands does not have a raging drug problem.

The argument that "more people would do it if it was legal" is erroneous, I'd say. A lot of the appeal of drug use is the escapism or rebellion, some people do it because it's illegal. That said, a lot of the people who don't do it now, STILL won't do it if it's legal, because they know the risks.

There's a lot to be said for legalising it, as well - especially in terms of quality control. There is a big difference in the potency and effects between all the different types - whether it's Moroccan hash or hydroponic skunk, makes a world of difference. Leglisation would lead to tighter controls on what could be sold, making it safer. If it was only sold and used in certain places (like hash bars, for example), the users are also supervised by the staff, which adds another level of safety to it.

So, don't dismiss legalisation out of hand, there are pros, as well as cons.
Last edited by SYL on Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aortic high arctic part mood altered paradise is lost
SYL
Esswhyell

Next

Return to Current Affairs