Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States

Yes, completely legal to everyone
27%
Yes but with restrictions
33%
No, not at all
39%
None of the above
1%

Total votes : 92

Re: Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States?

Unread postby James » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:49 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I guess my opinion is that drugs should be illegal but the emphasis should be on rehab for those people who are addicted not punishment and instead it should be the dealers and smugglers who should face heavy prison time.

Part of the problem with the 'War on Drugs' is in addressing what a 'dealer' is. There's a big difference between some dude in Oakland growing marijuana to share with his friends—or that same dude selling the marijuana to friends—and the people arranging for thousands/tens-of-thousands/millions in product to cross borders.

We've been putting away some of those little guys—and our prison populations are swelling.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Iain » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:23 pm

Its supposed to go legal up here in Canada next year, Prime Minister Trudeau made it an Election promise (probably to gain extra votes lol) I'm not looking forward to this as I already get that tell tail whiff through my bedroom window from my upstairs neighbors late night and the thought of the air being further filled with this once its legal annoys me.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby laojim » Fri May 19, 2017 6:22 am

As someone has surely pointed out above it is already legal in a patchwork of states and districts. In Arizona you can buy all you want with a doctor's recommendation. I get some for arthritis, fibromyalgia and some other complaints. This is legal by state law although illegal by federal law. It appears that what is going to happen is that the number of states and jurisdictions where the pot has been legalized in one way or another will continue to grow until it becomes obvious that it is the will of the people and some form of federal legalization will be forthcoming. Marijuana is in no sense addictive or harmful. It was only made illegal in order to stop Mexicans from coming into the states, or so the tale goes. It was believed that Mexicans wouldn't come here if they couldn't get their marijuana. Well, surprise! That has utterly failed.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Current Affairs