Is sex outside of.........

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby Justin » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:38 pm

I believe sex before marriage is ok as long as you care about the person. Meaningless sex for no reason can lead to and be indicative of very self destructive behavior. However cheating on a spouse or loved one is not ok. That can lead to great emotional damage on both people in the relationship.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Naurek » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:49 pm

I think sex before marriage is fine. The problem is that people are not responsible enough about sex. They don't take the precautions, they don't always think about the person's feelings they are having sex with. Sex to one person could be something to do to pass the time, whereas sex to another person is something beautiful and loving. If those two people meet there can be big problems. I do think you should be compatible with the one you are marrying, and sex is a part of it. If you like sex all the time and your husband/wife doesn't like it at all, there can be problems. These things should be figured out before it is too late. But of course, with marriages taken and thrown away like my wife changing purses, people don't really think about full compatibility.
Naurek
Master

Unread postby English_Druid » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:03 pm

Sex before marriage is fine. Its no longer considered immoral and I dont see the need for marriage before sex. Surely thats inducing young people to get married, whether they really want to or not. And marriage is a much bigger committment than just having sex. I see sex as just something for pleasure or for reproduction. I dont really associate it with two people loving each other, probably because Ive never been in love, or that I dont know whether I have because I having nothing to compare love with. . .
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Re: Is sex outside of.........

Unread postby rcsha » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:16 pm

Manipulated Destiny wrote:Is only sex outside of marriage wrong? or ..and topic sentence to each selection.

A long-term and commited relationship? ( 2 year +) Wrong? Ok?
A commited relationship (one year ) Wrong ? Ok?
A semi-commited relationship ( six months tops) Wrong ? ok?
Or is sex just a physical act that in no way implys emotional feelings toward the person you are having it with, and it (sex outside of the relationship)is ok no matter what kind of reationship your in.

Ooo, I like surveys...lol.

Anywho, my opinions:
1. Ok
2. Ok
3. Ok
4. It's just a physical act to me...now outside of the relation (meaning sex with someone while you are married or dating another) is wrong. Cheating is bad, no matter what it is.

I look at sex as a nothing more than a physical act to bring about pleasure and reproduction. I've never been romantically inclined to any of my partners. I do pressure the pursuit of safe-sex though. For instance my first partner was too 'engrossed' in the act of foreplay to care about my condom but I refused until I could get to my 'stash'. :lol: I think that unprotected sex should only happen when your married, but sex in general is fine. I also think that prostitution is fine, too...it's just a service that the prostitute is giving out...nothing more than a hotel manager or a massuse does. Not that I'd partake in it...I've seen what some of those of women do, or who rather, like I said...safe sex is good.

So...I guess in the end my opinion is (summarized):
Sex: Physical act for pleasure and/or reproduction.
Cheating: Bad.
Safe Sex: Very good.
Prostitution: Fine, should be legal.
Dickjutsu.com
The Bruce Lee of Dickery.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Naurek » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:23 pm

Why is cheating bad in your opinion, rcsha? If sex is simply a physical act, then if I went and had sex with a woman who was not my wife, and we had no love for eachother and just wanted to have sex, how is that bad? I know what you are saying, but I think sex is a physical act which in a committed relationship has a lot of meaning. I think you would agree with that, wouldn't you?
Naurek
Master

Unread postby rcsha » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:40 am

Naurek wrote:Why is cheating bad in your opinion, rcsha? If sex is simply a physical act, then if I went and had sex with a woman who was not my wife, and we had no love for eachother and just wanted to have sex, how is that bad? I know what you are saying, but I think sex is a physical act which in a committed relationship has a lot of meaning. I think you would agree with that, wouldn't you?

Cheating is a form of a disloyalty, especially bad in the instances of married persons. Its bad enough when you're dating exclusively and have sex with a person other than you dating partner, but if you've been officially recognized as a married couple that its even worse, in my opinion.

Sex can have a lot of meaning, yes...but to me its a just an act of pleasure and/or reproduction. I suppose that you can say sex for the purpose of reproduction is meaningful as you are creating another human life...but I don't particularly have a high interest in human life so its not much more meaningful than sex for the purposes of pleasure to me.

But my lack of contemporary humane values aside, its not the act of cheating with sex sex so much as the action of cheating with sex...if you understand what I mean. Its not that you had sex, its that you had sex with someone besides the person you promised to exclusively engange in intercourse with. If you promise your girlfriend to play chess with no one but her (albeit a bit stranger than exclusive sexual habits) and you play chess with another person, than you've been disloyal to the relationship and its no different than cheating by having sex with another person when you've promised not to.

Naturally in the case of swingers couples and whatnot, if the other partner either supports it or doesn't care than no loyalty rule has been broken whic means its not really cheating on the other party and so I don't have an issue with it. :)
Dickjutsu.com
The Bruce Lee of Dickery.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Lindsey » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:54 am

You cannot and should not marry someone until you know them completely. Having sex is, in my opinion, the greatest way to know someone. You and your partner are at your most vulnerable and expressing your love in the most intimate way. Sex should-and could be an extreme expression of love. Its not always like that, thought because we are humans. We experience desire, and its not that we can't say no, its that we don't want to. I say why regret anything you have or want to do? If its legal, that is :wink:

What if you marry what you think is the right man and you have NO sexual chemistry? Damn, sucks to be you. Because sexual chemistry is a huge part of any relationship. Desire can make or break some relationships. Love comes from lust and longing. And you can't have marriage without love.
If you take yourself too seriously, you're going to become a parody of yourself--Manson
Lindsey
Initiate

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:30 am

Lindsey wrote:What if you marry what you think is the right man and you have NO sexual chemistry?

You know, it's not hard to tell if you have sexual chemistry without having sex. Since I haven't said anything on this issue yet, I'm not going to get into a discussion of my own views on the topic; I just wanted to state that, objectively, the sexual chemistry issue seems like a big cop-out to me.

Sex is a flexible thing. It's not like people are just "bad" at sex. There are no sexual "types" with which you can be compatible or incompatible. People learn how to do things differently, learn about each other, what the other person likes, dislikes, etc... To be honest, each member of a relationship should know all this stuff before ever having sex. If this is done, the sex between those two people will be good regardless.

In short, you don't need to have sex to know someone completely, since your argument all boils down to sexual compatibility (which is simply a measure of the pleasure of the act).
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby English_Druid » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:08 pm

Naurek wrote:Why is cheating bad in your opinion, rcsha? If sex is simply a physical act, then if I went and had sex with a woman who was not my wife, and we had no love for eachother and just wanted to have sex, how is that bad?

I see your point, but just because I dont neccessarily view sex as something only undertaken between two loving people does not mean that people in a relationship whether it be serious or not, can be unfaithful. Theres also the risk of STD's, being unfaithful could damage your partner physically aswell as emotionally.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:15 pm

Can't the whole idea of "marriage" be debated as well?
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs