Child Neglect

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Child Neglect

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:18 am

Sun Fin wrote:That is a truly awful case and my heart breaks for Yua Funato.

I don't know about the circumstances in Japan but I know in the UK the problem is often not to do with parents rights. Instead our child services are over stretched and so while they might know the child is being abused if they don't view the risk as 'as severe' as others they'll be returned or monitored. they just don't have the staff, funding or infrastructure to move every child who is being abused. It is truly awful but I guess unless we have more people willing to foster and give children a safe place to stay the services are going to be limited in what they can offer!

Well said.
Frankly, it's the crux of the issue in Japan as well. Under staffed and under budgeted, even more than western countries.
Each child welfare official is in charge of approx. 120 cases. 5x the standard for the west. I can't even imagine that work load.
The anti-abuse budget to GDP in Japan is 1/130th of the US and 1/10th of many European countries.

Foster parenting has a bit of a stigma here. Of the orphans and abused children that are institutionilized only 10% are adopted. (compared to 93% in Australia) And these orphanages and care centers are all over crowded as well as under staffed.
I won't be blaming the care workers who really try to help and work hard at their job, it's the system I'm upset with.
Yua was at a facility and being fed and protected. She had even requested to go to her biological father. If she hadn't been sent back home she'd be alive today.
I think changes are coming and I hope to do a small part somehow.

Thanks for reading this.
Sakae Wu
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:27 am

Sakae Wu wrote:Well said.
Frankly, it's the crux of the issue in Japan as well. Under staffed and under budgeted, even more than western countries.
Each child welfare official is in charge of approx. 120 cases. 5x the standard for the west. I can't even imagine that work load.
The anti-abuse budget to GDP in Japan is 1/130th of the US and 1/10th of many European countries.

Foster parenting has a bit of a stigma here. Of the orphans and abused children that are institutionilized only 10% are adopted. (compared to 93% in Australia) And these orphanages and care centers are all over crowded as well as under staffed.
I won't be blaming the care workers who really try to help and work hard at their job, it's the system I'm upset with.
Yua was at a facility and being fed and protected. She had even requested to go to her biological father. If she hadn't been sent back home she'd be alive today.
I think changes are coming and I hope to do a small part somehow.

Thanks for reading this.

That is a worthy ambition and I wish you success with your endeavors! Why do you think there is so much stigma in Japan about fostering?
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:35 am

It seems to do with Japanese uniformity and bloodlines. It's more of an old fashioned viewpoint and I think gradually more people are becoming open to fostering.
Sakae Wu
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:09 am

I hope so! I do wonder if fertility treatments like IVF have meant less people now adopt and foster?
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:29 pm

Sakae Wu wrote:Child welfare in Japan knew of this abuse, and took her into temporary care twice and still eventually returned her to her "parents".

This, ugh... this doesn’t shock me.

I used to intern at a shelter for abused children as a part of my psych degree program. We’d get mainly runaways trying to escape their home, and kids dropped off by concerned neighbors or relatives. As can be expected, some kids just wanted attention or were angry and weren’t actually being abused; a lot of kids, though, had blatant signs of neglect or physical/sexual abuse.

We were of course regularly in contact with child protection services.

I’ll just be honest: I don’t have a whole lot of hope for child protection services anymore. The number of kids sent back to clearly abusive homes was mind-boggling. A few times, like Yua Funato’s story, we had kids come back to us, only to be sent home again despite our protesting.

This was about seven years ago, so I can only hope things have improved since then, but I admittedly am too demoralized by the whole experience to look into any current statistics. And I don’t really have an idea on how to fix it either; I do agree that making fostering/adopting more accessible and affordable is a good start.

Edit:
I just saw Sun Fin’s post about this being the same in the UK. :? I wonder if there are any countries with successful protection services that the rest of the world can emulate...
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:23 am

Yeah, it's very discouraging reading up on this subject. It's a global problem that's getting worse every year.

Looking at UNICEF data and a few other sites, the U.S. and the UK are two of the worst of the advanced democracy countries for child welfare. Netherlands, Sweden and Finland rated top three.

I don't know the solution either. But it's going to take a lot of people working together on this to make a difference.
Maybe looking out for/helping our neighbors, some volunteer work if possible, better communication between the departments. Having the parents of at risk children go to counseling and some parenting classes.
And streamlining the adoption system and make more accessible would be huge. Completely agree there.

I think a major part of this is just too many people that are having kids aren't ready for it mentally, emotionally or financially.
I see so many young parents (mainly in the states) that just aren't prepared to care for a small human being.

It took a 5 year old girl writing messages in her notebook, pleading her family for compassion to wake me up to how serious this problem is.
Sakae Wu
Assistant

Previous

Return to Current Affairs